Req Blu-ray/DVD Bookmark Database
I'm pretty sure this is a feature request as I can't find any plugins or online sites providing this. But I want to make sure. It seems like this information could be pretty easily crowd-sourced:

In Kodi 14 (I think), the ability to bookmark a video or even a specific position in a position relative to a given episode was introduced. So if you have a DVD or Blu-ray set of episodes, you can jump right to the correct locations later.

The problem with that of course is that you need to spend ages precisely pinning every single episode, and then the resulting work is further dependent on your personal Kodi database which is generally safe, but I like to maintain the condition where blowing out my Kodi database has limited/no impact and can be regenerated at any time with minor exceptions like watched status.

So here we all are with the bookmark positions on the world's Blu-rays and DVDs as public knowledge and static, but no database exists that I know of to collate that information and provide it in an index form to Kodi. In the absence of a more complete BD-J implementation to replace the woeful one in the current Kodi, being able to jump to episodes directly without creating our own bookmark libraries would be extremely useful.

Am I missing something out there that already provides this? It is this level of convenience which distinguishes commercial solutions (eg. Kaleidescape which clearly employs people to do exactly this kind of bookmarking that gets automatically downloaded for any BD/DVD) from open source solutions. The commercial solutions go one step farther in fact by bookmarking key scenes. Want to jump to the speeder race in ROTJ? Rest assured that's an indexed scene and you can jump right to it in a second. Establishing a public library of these indexes that can be referenced by Kodi seems like a powerful idea even after the BD-J people complete their implementation because waiting for BD menus is always going to be undesirable. OTOH ripping anything other than full BD ISO is a nightmare to manage all the special features and extras on today's media.
Offhand, I don't know what service provides this, but there are databases that contain chapter points and even names for chapters. There are several ripping programs that will automatically embed this information in the resulting file, and Kodi will read and display both the chapter points and names. In v15 there is even a chapter selection window in the bookmark window. Every one of my ripped movies has chapters included, which I presume is because most rippers include this by default. The same informations should be included in full ISOs, minus chapter track names in DVDs, IIRC.
I always rip straight BD/DVD, so chapters have always been a given, that's never missing. The problem I'm looking at is the lack of BD menus really that causes ISO files to need bookmarks for episode starts and a bonus of key scenes/named scenes or for instance key songs in a movie like Wizard of Oz. This is a painfully slow procedure that needs to be repeated identically for every Kodi user that rips say GoT or Lost, etc. from their discs. Yet, the data is identical. Ideally, this kind of data would be centralized in exactly the kind of community database provided by http://thetvdb.com/ already used by Kodi. Movies too, for key scenes and songs. Basically, Disc ID -> list of markers [] -> for each marker, a video filename and position.
When you rip you should get (usually unnamed) chapter markers in your mkv file. It is then a matter of naming them. I think this the database you seek?

http://www.chapterdb.org/
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Awesome that such a database exists.

What a tragedy that it was designed such that ISO rips are basically incompatible with it. The raw XML files in chapterDB only have actual time positions for chapters inside a file but no information on which file it comes from which is really the hardest part! So to do this right one would need to start from 0 though one could certainly then also inherit all that chapter work which would be great. The key though is to match up the actual filenames on the BD/DVD with the episode/movie/content. Right now for instance inserting a disc of a TV series is quite literally a gamble as to which episode gets launched (whichever is longest). So first one must link filename with episode, then one can link episode with chapters.
(2015-06-08, 03:55)jayword Wrote: I always rip straight BD/DVD, so chapters have always been a given, that's never missing. The problem I'm looking at is the lack of BD menus really that causes ISO files to need bookmarks for episode starts and a bonus of key scenes/named scenes or for instance key songs in a movie like Wizard of Oz. This is a painfully slow procedure that needs to be repeated identically for every Kodi user that rips say GoT or Lost, etc. from their discs. Yet, the data is identical. Ideally, this kind of data would be centralized in exactly the kind of community database provided by http://thetvdb.com/ already used by Kodi. Movies too, for key scenes and songs. Basically, Disc ID -> list of markers [] -> for each marker, a video filename and position.

As I said, in v15 there is a chapters window in the very same bookmarks window. You will not have to manually set any bookmarks. It should work with your BR ISO files.
(2015-06-08, 08:29)jayword Wrote: Awesome that such a database exists.

What a tragedy that it was designed such that ISO rips are basically incompatible with it. The raw XML files in chapterDB only have actual time positions for chapters inside a file but no information on which file it comes from which is really the hardest part! So to do this right one would need to start from 0 though one could certainly then also inherit all that chapter work which would be great. The key though is to match up the actual filenames on the BD/DVD with the episode/movie/content. Right now for instance inserting a disc of a TV series is quite literally a gamble as to which episode gets launched (whichever is longest). So first one must link filename with episode, then one can link episode with chapters.

Thats why I (and I suspect many others) rip to individual mkv files with makemkv.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
In Kodi 15 nightly from today, I do see a nice change in that the chapters on the BD within a given title are for the first time reflected in the chapters panel.

However, episodes, in other words the level above chapters, are still unrecognized. (Perhaps I am missing something? I'm using GoT BDs to test that.) Kodi 15 appears to operate the same as Kodi 14 in that respect so there is still no way (short of launching an external player like Dune or Mede8er) to play BD ISO files with more than one piece of content (like TV shows) because it always just plays the biggest file and the BD-J code runs menus only with a very slim array of titles.

I ripped to individual MKV files for years, but for the past year or so have switched to ISO. Just not willing to lose all the content and metadata associated with extras, etc. I use external players for the titles that need it.

So what is needed is to replace the code in Kodi that says "play the biggest file" with a panel that identifies "filename xyz is Season 1, Episode 3" to choose the title. That requires both improvements in Kodi as well as an enhanced database of "chapters" that includes the original filename on the media.

A dumbed down version of this idea could skip the database and just pop a panel to select all of the video files on the disc listed by size. That would work with most discs. (some rare discs split individual titles into thousands of different video files, so that would be a corner case there)
You should test/use the simple menu. But even with the title list there's no easy way to identify the episodes.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Blu-ray/DVD Bookmark Database0