Urgent help needed for choosing a mini HTPC for Kodi
I've been looking for a mini Kodi HTPC for some time now. Based on recommendations, I'd probably run Kodibuntu as I hear it might the best solution for my needs: I'd connect the desktop to my Sony LCD-TV via HDMI and mostly stream flash content. I'd use this setup for at least 4-5 years if not longer. Today, I got a voucher from Ebay with which I can get 20% (up to 80 dollars) off from an Ebay purchase. This might be a good opportunity to finally pull the the trigger.

My alternatives:

Well Matt Devo and many others recommend the current Celeron Asus Chromebox. The problem is that A) the newer version, CN62, is coming soon and B) in my location (and ordered online adding shipping and importing fees) the Chromebox costs 225 dollars. With the Ebay voucher I might get it a little cheaper, but it's still a lot more than you guys in the US have to pay for it. Of course I could just wait for the CN62 but there's no telling when it's going to be available. My third option is buying an i3/i5 NUC which would be an overkill but I could also get Windows (now that you can still get 10 Preview for free). With NUC I'd get all the bells and whistles plus some future proofing. The best NUC deal I could find on Ebay was the 5i5RYK for roughly 310 dollars (of course it will cost over a hundred dollars more for the RAM, M.2 SSD and Mini-HDMI cable) which is A LOT less than what it runs for in my location.

Do you guys have any input on this? I have a feeling I will still get the "just get the Chromebox" comments but is it still a good deal at 225 dollars?
Can't you find a us reseller able to ship it to you ?
(2015-06-15, 21:57)Namoi Wrote: Can't you find a us reseller able to ship it to you ?

Meaning the Chromebox. Yes, I could order it from Amazon.com if needed. The problem is that the shipping is expensive and then there's also import fees which are often at least 3x the shipping fee. Example: Chromebox costs 159 dollars at Amazon but at checkout the price is just under 225 dollars. You can find better deals on Ebay if you're lucky but often the shipping fees insanely high.
I'd thoroughly recommend a Haswell Celeron 2955/2957U box. There isn't a huge reason to wait for the Broadwell Celeron versions as they don't offer a huge advantage for pure Kodi use. Whether you go for a Chromebox, Zotac, HP etc. the Celeron 2955/2957U is a great sweetspot at the moment.

The NUCs are great - but an i3 or i5 are really overkill for a pure Kodi box unless you are playing oddball codecs (I have some 4:2:2 38Mbs H264 stuff that I need to run through an i5 - but my regular 4:2:0 H264 plays beautifully on the Chromebox. It even copes with 4K 24p H264 stuff)
Other popular choices are the Pi2, HP Stream Mini, Zotac Zbox BI320. Now whether $225 is good for a Chromebox, it will depend what the total price would be for the other options.
AFTV (non-rooted + Kodi)
WD My Book Live NAS
Did you check newegg... they also ship to some foreign countries.

But to be honest, in rare cases (the hp chromebox for instance), the price you spoke of is the one we get one in Europe at least (more or less).
And this device won't disappoint you.
(2015-06-15, 22:01)noggin Wrote: I'd thoroughly recommend a Haswell Celeron 2955/2957U box. There isn't a huge reason to wait for the Broadwell Celeron versions as they don't offer a huge advantage for pure Kodi use. Whether you go for a Chromebox, Zotac, HP etc. the Celeron 2955/2957U is a great sweetspot at the moment.

The NUCs are great - but an i3 or i5 are really overkill for a pure Kodi box unless you are playing oddball codecs (I have some 4:2:2 38Mbs H264 stuff that I need to run through an i5 - but my regular 4:2:0 H264 plays beautifully on the Chromebox. It even copes with 4K 24p H264 stuff)

I agree (browsing through these forums this seems to be the general consensus). I guess I'm asking my question because I'm not able to get US prices on these desktops and it just so happens the Chromebox is the one alternative I cannot find prices that come even close to US prices (I've become an expert at ordering from other countries and finding the best online prices but no luck with the Chromebox unfortunately). It's a lot easier to find comparable prices on the NUCs.

I forgot the mention that two important criteria of mine are that the mini HTPC must be quiet (sometimes people sleep in the room I would be using it in) and it must have low power consumption. This is why a part of me wants to wait for the CN62 as power consumption and noise levels might be lower than with the Haswell Chromebox.
(2015-06-15, 22:06)Namoi Wrote: Did you check newegg... they also ship to some foreign countries.

But to be honest, in rare cases (the hp chromebox for instance), the price you spoke of is the one we get one in Europe at least (more or less).
And this device won't disappoint you.

Unfortunately not to mine. Sad
Raspberry Pi 2.
HTPCs: 2 x Chromecast with Google TV
Audio: Pioneer VSX-819HK & S-HS 100 5.1 Speakers
Server: HP Compaq Pro 6300, 4GB RAM, 8.75TB, Bodhi Linux 5.x, NFS, MySQL
If noise is important then the Pi 2 is very well worth considering. As a pure Kodi box running OpenElec it is pretty amazing for the price. The Chromebox does outperform it in some ways (deinterlacing, more fluid UI, built in GigE, WiFI and Bluetooth) but the Pi 2 is incredible value, and silent (as it is fanless) and is amazing value (and has CEC control so can be controlled by many TV's remote controls and can control the volume of AVRs it is connected to).

I have both. I use both. I have no problems using the Pi 2 in my bedroom.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Urgent help needed for choosing a mini HTPC for Kodi0