v15 PVR feature stays enabled with no PVR Add-Ons enabled
I may have found a bug, or at least a poor user experience in Isengard Beta 2.

If a user enables the PVR feature before any PVR add-ons, then they understandably receive a message that they need to enable an add-on for it to work. However, the PVR feature then stays enabled. If the user then goes to enable a PVR add-on (in my case, Argus), the add-on appears to enable but no TV interface is available. Once Kodi is restarted, the add-on goes back to being disabled but the PVR feature stays enabled without any warning or error. Of course, trying to enable the PVR add-on again still doesn't work properly but it's not obvious why.

Can I suggest that if the user enables the PVR feature without any add-ons enabled, that after the error message is displayed, this feature goes back to being disabled?
No mind readers here, so you need to post more information about which exact hardware and operating-system you use to start with.

Logs will also be needed for issues like that, checkout http://kodi.wiki/view/Logs
@arangas
I had a similar experience today (using an Isenguard Beta 2 based branch) when trying to get a PVR addon I had compiled to load (it wouldn't as I'd broken it).
  • Kodi says addon is broken and won't load
  • Kodi says PVR enabled with no addon loaded
  • Kodi takes me to the addons page to allow me to load an addon
  • Kodi detects (via avahi/bonjour) that I am running a backend which uses my broken addon and offers to configure it for me using an IP6 address
  • Kodi keeps 'PVR' enabled throughout.

I tend to agree with you. The PVR / addon UI can get a bit confusing while you set things up, but tends to settle down well once up and running. Isenguard has re-organized things in the addons folder, which improves things, but it isn't a 'just works' experience yet.

It really needs someone to try several set-ups from scratch, work out what doesn't seem logical in terms of error message or sequence, make some changes to how the code works, try again etc...

I suspect that as the kodi developers already have a working set-up and know their way around, the 'new user experience' isn't quite as polished as the 'standard', 'intermediate' or 'advanced' user experience. In my opinion it's much better than most open source projects in this regard so people are obviously working on it (note the bonjour/avahi autodetected back-end), but there will always be room for improvement.

If you feel inclined, by all means run through several 'bare installs' of kodi, and make a note of what it might have been 'better' for kodi to do. Post your ideas here and you never know, someone who knows how may take them up and run with them.

Even better if you feel able to prototype them yourself and submit a git hub Pull Request.
Thinking back to my first installs, you probably need to select the PVR addon's 'Configure' button and tweak things there.
Usually the 'ip address' or 'name' of the machine running the backend is the thing that needs to be tweaked.
Also, don't forget to press 'Apply'. If you just press 'escape' or 'back' the change in settings won't have been made.

Check out the http://kodi.wiki/view/PVR page if you haven't found it yet to get started.
Your issue stems from the fact that unless live TV is enabled from Settings -> Live TV, all addons will be disabled on startup. The proper way to enable live TV is either:

1. Enable live TV, then enable an addon, or
2. Enable an addon (nothing seemingly happens), then enable live TV.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
PVR feature stays enabled with no PVR Add-Ons enabled0