Solved Intermittent Audio Dropouts
Weird one this. Not updated anything for a while, but all of a sudden I'm getting these small intermittent audio dropouts. Have updated the xbmcbuntu (is it kodibuntu?) and still getting it. Currently running Kodi 15.0-BETA2 Git:daedd5f (Compiled: Jun 15 2015). Can't see any connection between the media files (some seem less effected than others), and the audio receiver (Onkyo) isn't blinking on and off during the drops. Perhaps someone (fritsch you know I'm looking at you) could look at the log and see if it indicates what the trouble is. Many thanks. Smile

http://pastebin.com/4puXzFJg
I need TP for my bunghole
Try to produce another logfile, that one says nothing :-(

Btw. you use passthrough, so it makes no sense to enable "Sync Playback to display" - only keep "Adjust Refreshrate to match vidoe - on start / stop".
Furthermore make sure to run latest libva / libva-driver-intel

Code:
sudo apt-add-repository ppa:wsnipex/vaapi
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

When testing this 720p video again, make sure Scaling algorithm is set to Bilinear (just for testing). Besides that - the log is fine.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
Hey Fritsch. Thanks for the response.

Odd the log doesn't show anything. That video had multiple dropouts during the short time it played. Also as far as I am aware I don't have "Sync playback to display" enabled. Certainly not in the UI anyhow.

Tried the libva. No difference. Scaling was set to bilinear. Checked the file on a windows PC (vlc), doesn't dropout audio. So the artefact isn't in the file per se.

New log: http://pastebin.com/f1U3rktS
Quote:10:14:25 T:140332377954048 DEBUG: CALSAHControlMonitor - Monitored ALSA hctl value changed

That's everything I can see. Did you turn off the TV? Some cable not fitting correctly, did the screen also turn black for a very short time? Basically something tells that audio is shortly gone - but nothing from kodi. Audio Engine wise, no drop nothing, we "just" reopen the device cause we get this signal from kernel.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
Can you rebuild from source and comment: https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/blob/master...r.cpp#L136 and https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/blob/master...r.cpp#L133

these lines?
The only difference I can see between some of the files that dropout and those that seemingly dont are the dropout files have a slightly higher audio bitrate. But that could be coincidence.

The picture doesn't dropout at all. The receiver also doesn't show indication of any dropout. It's just heard.

When you say rebuild from source you mean kodi right? Happy to give it a try.

Checked all connections.
Wait a mo. Turn off passthrough first, please and we will see what happens with "normal pcm" audio.

And also: Running on Ubuntu 14.04.2 LTS, kernel: Linux x86 64-bit version 3.13.0-55-generic <- is quite years old. You might try to install the -utopic kernel that is available via apt-get and retry.
Passthrough off. No dropouts.... Is that good or bad? Wink

Upgraded kernel. Still dropouts on passthrough.
Mmh, as we don't see an indication in our logfile, e.g. that we dropped / duped packages I don't think we "actively" do something wrong :-)

Mind pulling out the plug of your AVR (power wise), keep it off for some minutes and turn it on again?
Okay. Tried pulling the plug. No difference. Tried using a different machine running windows 8 and MPC. With bitstreaming turned on I can report that the same dropouts occurred. So I guess this isn't a Kodi issue.

Just curious. Do you think this is the receiver breaking down?
Sorry I am not religious :-)

But it's one possible reason, yes. Try to stop kodi and issue a speaker-test -c2 -D plughw:x,y -f correct_sample_fomat_matching_what_we_send_for_passthrough ;-) -r 48000 and see what happens.
I did try, but not really sure what frequency you're wanting me to put in to that speaker-test command.
I'm going to purchase a new receiver. Guess that will answer questions. Thanks Fritsch for helping out. Smile
Okay. This is doing my head in. Bought new receiver. Different model Onkyo. Dropouts with the same file. Playing the file on other computers it doesn't dropout. So it's not the receiver and it's not kodi. Is it the TV? Any help appreciated. Been spending too long on this already.
Try OpenELEC from an USB stick, please and see.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Intermittent Audio Dropouts0