Sony 2015 4k TV Kodi video stutter
Hey guys.

Just purchased a new Sony 2015 TV with Android tv. II downloaded kodi and was super excited to start streaming videos off my pc only to find that many of the videosvideos especially those in 1080p are stuttering/lagging really bad.

I've made no changes to the standard settings for kodi. I've tried downloading kodi from google play store as well as the kodi website and installing the app manually but both methods result in the same problem.

I held out for this Sony TV because android tv was built in an i thought it would save me buying a nvidia shield console separatley.

My only thought is the processor in the TV can't handle the upscaling of the video in kodi from its 1080p source to 4k. But that being said I downloaded vlc player and it seemed to stream these same videos fine... Undecided

Thoughts?
Yeah ive got the same problem, ive tried disabling each of the codecs individually and tried general tricks and tips as shown in different forums and can't get it to stop stuttering. Not sure if its just something that inflicts the beta 2 version?

What tv do you have, mines the 49x8305c.
Is there an option to put the TV in 1080p?
That's something to fix, but not sure it'll make it for is isengard.
Just load version 14 on the tv it works with no stuttering issues
Please try [removed, merged]

It will limit Kodi to 1080p for you, now, rather than 4K, until this issue is properly solved in J****.
My co-worker has a sony 4k tv we put the kodi 15 beta 2 on it from playstore nd it kept stuttering. On the system info it said the resolution on it was 3160. We installed kodi 14.2apk thru a flashdrive nd now the resolution is on 1080 hd nd the streams are running perfectly. If anyone has a stuttering problem on kodi 15 beta2 downgrade to 14.2 nd check if it helps u out. Just wanted to share this with u all. Just in case ur coming across this same issue.
Latest nightlies and forthcoming rc1 should limit to 1080p on Sony TV.
Yep. I've done the same here. When I hook my pc up via hdmi I've got no problems playing 4k at 60hz. So I guess it's the CPU in the tv that is struggling?

And there any other media players that might work when used on the TV directly and at 4k 60fps?

The pre installed video player seems to handle video well. it looks like it's running at 4k and presumably 60hz?
Koying is my sony andriod tv not going to be capable of handling 4k videos in kodi?
Not currently, no, apparently. Needs some work...
Hi Koying,

So you believe that the issue with stuttering of 4k content on 4k Android Sony TVs is caused by a software bug/limitation of Kodi and not by low power of processor on the TV? Could you please help to share some more info about the root cause of the issue when you have time.

Thank you for your help.
I don't have a Sony 4K TV so cannot give definitive answers.
My assumption is that the SoC in those TV's just can't render EGL in 4K for whatever reason, which is how 4K works currently. It works on Nvidia Shield, but the SoC there is a monster Wink

For 16, we'll follow a more "standard" route of rendering video on Android, so GUI would be rendered in 1080p (=OK) and video upscaling/downscaling will be handled by Android and the underlying drivers rather than by Kodi.
i read a review on the Sony X85C and they said it contained the same SOC as in cheap phones. Barely usable.
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
Hey Koying

When do you think 16 would be released?
(2015-07-03, 16:07)Pandorumbro Wrote: Hey Koying

When do you think 16 would be released?

seriously? 15.0 isn't even done yet.
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help