Bug MMAL on - jerky DVD playback, OE 5.95.2
Testing different settings and playing a VIDEO_TS directory, this is what I've found:
Prefer PTS timestamps on/off - no difference
OMXPlayer on/off - no difference
MMAL on - jerky playback
MMAL off - smooth playback but DVD menus do not show.
Both OMXPlayer and MMAL off - jerky playback

Log with default acceleration settings (OMXPlayer/MMAL on and PTS off).
http://sprunge.us/bALj

Tests was done on a clean install of OE 5.95.1 that I've upgraded to 5.95.2.

For various reasons I've been running "Milhouse devel-20150113215658-r19990-gc0ad104 [Build #0113]" and on that playback is fine.
Can you provide a sample that shows the problem?
This turned out to be harder than I thought. As soon as I cut a couple of minutes with ffmpeg it plays fine. I even tried using dd to get the first 100MB of one of the vob files.

Any suggestions how to get a sample that preserves the file?
Are you using -vcodec copy -acodec copy with ffmpeg?
Are there any small vobs that show the issue? (e.g. trailers/menus)
This is what i ran. I had to add pal-dvd as it detected the file as svcd and spewed out errors.
Code:
ffmpeg -i VTS_01_2.VOB -t 120 -c copy -target pal-dvd o.vob

The vob files are about 1GB each. However, I discovered something strange. When I play the individual vob files via the file view, they play smoothly but with subtitles rendered in black. It seems like something goes wrong when playback is started via the DVD menu.

If you got bandwidth, I could make the whole VIDEO_TS directory available (4,2GB).
(2015-06-27, 22:32)nikstra Wrote: If you got bandwidth, I could make the whole VIDEO_TS directory available (4,2GB).

Go on then. PM me the link.
PM sent.
Thanks, received. I can see the stutter.
It looked okay to me with both omxplayer and mmal disabled (and menu still showed).
OK, good that it is reproducible. Mine struggles when both omxplayer and mmal are disabled. Maybe you are overclocking?
(2015-06-28, 21:04)nikstra Wrote: OK, good that it is reproducible. Mine struggles when both omxplayer and mmal are disabled. Maybe you are overclocking?

I'm on a Pi2. No overclock and CPU usage is pretty low even with software decode.

With MMAL disabled and omxplayer enabled, it also seemed smooth.
As dvd menus don't work in this configuration you get some blank screens during intros and have to press OK at the right point, but you can get main feature playing.
I'm on a Pi1, so that explains the difference in performance with acceleration disabled. I can always get it playing through the menu with MMAL enabled and then disable MMAL and resume playback. But it worked in Milhouse build #0113, so something has changed. Are you testing on OE beta or on a Milhuse build?

Odd that it plays smoothly when the vob files are played directly. Can you reproduce that too? Another thing that I've noticed is that it is really jerky right after you resume and after a couple of seconds it settles and the jerkiness becomes more even.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
MMAL on - jerky DVD playback, OE 5.95.20