Android Which HDMI Stick?
I've used a FireTV Stick and I think it works really well. Remote works well. Kodi works well.

Are there any other Android HDMI sticks out there that work well and include 1080p resolution, working wifi, include a remote, and have easily updatable implementations of Android?

I've also read that some of these sticks have problems with things like Netflix. Are these types of problems easily solved with system updates?
NVidia Shield Pro
Firestick
Wetek Core
Panasonic P60ST30
Amazon Fire TV?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Amazon-CL1130-Fi...B00KQEJBSW
MediaPi - I understand that the standard Amazon Fire TV works really well.

I am looking for something more in the price range of the FireTV Stick ($50+/-).
NVidia Shield Pro
Firestick
Wetek Core
Panasonic P60ST30
(2015-06-30, 21:16)jdwoods Wrote: MediaPi - I understand that the standard Amazon Fire TV works really well.

I am looking for something more in the price range of the FireTV Stick ($50+/-).

since you already have the AFTV stick, elaborating on what aspects you find lacking and hope to rectify on a different device. Because there isn't any real competition for it in the Android HDMI stick category, in any price range.
(2015-06-30, 21:46)Matt Devo Wrote:
(2015-06-30, 21:16)jdwoods Wrote: MediaPi - I understand that the standard Amazon Fire TV works really well.

since you already have the AFTV stick, elaborating on what aspects you find lacking and hope to rectify on a different device. Because there isn't any real competition for it in the Android HDMI stick category, in any price range.

I had a feeling that this would be the case. The reason I am looking for an alternative is that I am concerned about the "hacking" of a device in Amazon's ecosystem. My sense is that with future software updates, Amazon could put the hammer down on Kodi and any hacks to get Kodi onto device.

Overall, I'd just prefer to find a non-branded stick works. The non branded sticks can be loaded with a custom rom and launcher that can act as a reasonable facsimile of the Amazon menu (or probably better...). A non branded Android stick can also use Prime streaming services, Netflix, HBO Go, Showtime, Kodi, etc etc etc... I am just curious if there is any hardware that is as powerful and/or reliable as the FireTV Stick. The FireTV Stick is for my parents... so that is why it hast to "just work".

Also FWIW, I am considering a Chromebox for my own home use. The only thing holding me back at the moment is lacking ability to use Netflix.
NVidia Shield Pro
Firestick
Wetek Core
Panasonic P60ST30
have a look at odroid c1
http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=...pid2040862

official thread
http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=210987

but no device other than firetv stick will give you hd netflix
wrxtasy will come in and give his 2 pence
Waiting for wrxtasy...

Odroid C1 is compelling. Not a stick though and MICRO HDMI. Low price point, but does not come with HDMI or remote. These are all things that one could live with if it works well and supports OS updates.

Why is it that no device will provide HD Netflix?
NVidia Shield Pro
Firestick
Wetek Core
Panasonic P60ST30
(2015-06-30, 22:49)jdwoods Wrote: Why is it that no device will provide HD Netflix?

DRM
(2015-06-30, 22:49)jdwoods Wrote: Why is it that no device will provide HD Netflix?

Let me clear any android device will give you netflix but only devices from amazon will give you access to the version of netflix that gives you access to the HD qulity movies. You've already experienced that with the fire tv stick

stick with the firetv stick for your parents, cross that bridge (amazon messing about) if/when it comes to it. as Matt said you wont get anything close to that pricce especially for an all in one solution, remote wifi and realibility especially at the price point your looking at. and forget about non branded stick, if you been around long enough you would see the frustration the misery from devices that have amazing specs but don't deliver.

Kodi is an open source software, you'll need a community to fall back on for help becuase you will need help. for consumer products you can file your frustration with companys, non branded stick just dont have the community, a community that stick around to
As Matt has said you will find DRM is the reason you only get 720x480p Netflix on devices that can have Rooted Firmware flashed into them.
Its a catch 22, closed secure Firmware will get you 1080p HD Netflix, Amazon etc but you are up to the mercy of device Manufacturer to even allow you to sideload apps.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_rights_management

Certainly the C1 and the similar MK808B Plus (both AMlogic S805), gives you more flexibility with better Kodi video output (HEVC, deinterlacing, dynamic refresh rate switching and 23.976fps video output(C1)) but you have to sacrifice HD Netflix. I have a 42" TV and barely notice Netflix resolution differences when its playing at a 5500kbps bitrate from 15 feet away on the couch.

At this point in time you still have to compromise on certain features at around $35 price range.

(2015-06-30, 23:28)MediaPi Wrote: Let me clear any android device will give you netflix but only devices from amazon will give you access to the version of netflix that gives you access to the HD qulity movies. You've already experienced that with the fire tv stick

That's not entirely correct. If you're talking about a stick, yes, currently only Amazon, but any Android TV device will give you HD quality Netflix (e.g. Shield ATV, Nexus Player)
Forum Rules (wiki) | Banned add-ons (wiki) | Wiki (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
(2015-07-01, 04:51)Tinwarble Wrote: That's not entirely correct. If you're talking about a stick, yes, currently only Amazon, but any Android TV device will give you HD quality Netflix (e.g. Shield ATV, Nexus Player)
This is also not quite correct Wink. Razer Forge TV is an Android TV device, but it doesn't even have Netflix app. On the version that is sideloaded, you can only get 480p.
(2015-07-01, 05:45)wesk05 Wrote:
(2015-07-01, 04:51)Tinwarble Wrote: That's not entirely correct. If you're talking about a stick, yes, currently only Amazon, but any Android TV device will give you HD quality Netflix (e.g. Shield ATV, Nexus Player)
This is also not quite correct Wink. Razer Forge TV is an Android TV device, but it doesn't even have Netflix app. On the version that is sideloaded, you can only get 480p.

Yeah, but that's a given.......if you can't install Netflix on it. Tongue I should have know someone [you] would bring that up.

The Forge TV appears to have so many issues I wouldn't even count it as an "Android TV device". It barely meets the device standard. Wink

EDIT: I should modify that to say, any Android TV device that wasn't rushed out the door just so that they could be the first Android "Game Console" on the market.
Forum Rules (wiki) | Banned add-ons (wiki) | Wiki (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
(2015-07-01, 05:52)Tinwarble Wrote: Yeah, but that's a given.......if you can't install Netflix on it. Tongue I should have know someone [you] would bring that up.

The Forge TV appears to have so many issues I wouldn't even count it as an "Android TV device". It barely meets the device standard. Wink

Laugh

Very true. Forge TV is a disaster. I had actually pre-ordered it and then a day later canceled the order. Lucky me!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Which HDMI Stick?0