Android passthrough broke on 15.0, OK on 13.3
In Android, even when passthrough is enabled some audios are not output as bitstream (e.g. system notification sounds which may come during a playback).
Adding one logic may solve this problem - temporarily disabled any changes by volume keys when passthrough is chosen.

but then it requires all manufacturers to add that.
Is there any other android apps of your knowing that steals volume control from the system?
I don't think so. No objective reasons for Kodi to do so, either.

Next step is to also use standard passthrough as defined in Android L & M. As Android progresses in the media aspect, hacks must be removed from Kodi.
Heck, even amlogic will abandon amlplayer to use mediacodec...
(2015-07-05, 15:42)minixhk Wrote: Adding one logic may solve this problem - temporarily disabled any changes by volume keys when passthrough is chosen.

but then it requires all manufacturers to add that.

Indeed, that's how it must be done if altering volume during passthrough breaks it.
Kodi still enforces putting the volume at 100% when starting PT playback (and restoring it afterwards), so it's only an issue if users play with volume *during* PT.
(2015-07-05, 15:48)Koying Wrote: Is there any other android apps of your knowing that steals volume control from the system?
I don't think so. No objective reasons for Kodi to do so, either.

Next step is to also use standard passthrough as defined in Android L & M. As Android progresses in the media aspect, hacks must be removed from Kodi.
Heck, even amlogic will abandon amlplayer to use mediacodec...

I also agree, just many older devices out there may not get updates so...
amcodec will be eventually replaced by mediacodec in future Android releases.
I raised this question based on a user perspective.

Many users don't know much about the change and may only see the problems happening without even knowing why.

Hope you guys understand!
I believe that Kodi should not touch Android system volume at all, just like on other platforms. I understand why it was done this way, but I think separating the two volumes will have less issues. Android TV-set users can leave Kodi volume at full and then control system volume, like how other Android TV-set apps do, and like how Mac, Win, and Linux do for people who use multiple apps along side Kodi. Those TVs already have a remote control that does direct Android system volume. Other users can opt to leave Android system volume full, and then control Kodi volume only, which is how most Android-box users probably like doing things.

We wouldn't have the double volume bar, it might (maybe?) help this issue, and it seems more intuitive to me. Even before I knew this was an issue, I thought it was strange to have Kodi volume and Android system volume linked.
(2015-07-05, 19:48)Ned Scott Wrote: I believe that Kodi should not touch Android system volume at all, just like on other platforms.
Indeed (besides temporarily forcing 100% for PT).

(2015-07-05, 19:48)Ned Scott Wrote: Other users can opt to leave Android system volume full, and then control Kodi volume only, which is how most Android-box users probably like doing things.
Well, that's contradictory Wink
Unless you mean "...control AVR or TV volume only", where I absolutely agree

(2015-07-05, 19:48)Ned Scott Wrote: We wouldn't have the double volume bar, it might (maybe?) help this issue, and it seems more intuitive to me.
Actually, keeping both bars was a user request. The more I think about it, the more I'm convinced the Kodi one should disappear, really, if we leave control to android re volume.
This is assuming the droid system volume widget is always shown, though.
(2015-07-05, 20:53)Koying Wrote:
(2015-07-05, 19:48)Ned Scott Wrote: Other users can opt to leave Android system volume full, and then control Kodi volume only, which is how most Android-box users probably like doing things.
Well, that's contradictory ;)

No, I mean I specifically control Kodi's volume and not OS volume :)

This is how I've always controlled Kodi on OS X, Windows, Ubuntu, and iOS.

All smartphone/tablet remote app users are forced to do this as well, and don't even have a CEC option to control system, TV, or AVR volume. I typically use a remote with a FLIRC, so my volume keys are not bound to the volume media keys. On Ubuntu you can choose if media keys are OS-wide or Kodi specific.

Quote:
(2015-07-05, 19:48)Ned Scott Wrote: We wouldn't have the double volume bar, it might (maybe?) help this issue, and it seems more intuitive to me.
Actually, keeping both bars was a user request. The more I think about it, the more I'm convinced the Kodi one should disappear, really, if we leave control to android re volume.
This is assuming the droid system volume widget is always shown, though.

If the user is changing system volume then yeah, Kodi shouldn't show anything. Kodi volume shouldn't also be changing and should always be 100%. Otherwise you have weird situations where someone might turn down "both" volumes using a remote on an Android box, but then try to turn the volume back up with their smartphone remote, which would only turn up Kodi volume, right? Unless I misunderstood.
(2015-07-05, 21:01)Ned Scott Wrote:
(2015-07-05, 20:53)Koying Wrote:
Well, that's contradictory Wink

No, I mean I specifically control Kodi's volume and not OS volume Smile

This is how I've always controlled Kodi on OS X, Windows, Ubuntu, and iOS.

All smartphone/tablet remote app users are forced to do this as well, and don't even have a CEC option to control system, TV, or AVR volume. I typically use a remote with a FLIRC, so my volume keys are not bound to the volume media keys. On Ubuntu you can choose if media keys are OS-wide or Kodi specific.

Indeed, why not. Not my personal choice, but nothing prevents doing so, indeed.
IIRC, I can do the distinction between system volume callbacks and Kodi vol up/down when it comes to show Kodi's volume bar or not.

That makes 3 ways to control volume. Enough to satisfy everybody, I guess Wink
Any chance this is related? http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=230260

I'm assuming it's not, but since it's another passthrough issue on minix hardware, I thought I would mention it.
Hello team,

I saw a similar report when I tried google search:
https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic...-15-15-/4/

It's also happening since Isengard so could you please take a look? Thanks.
Yeah, I know. Still nothing we can do if the device allows the PT bistream to be altered by system volume...

Unless there is a way for an app to tell to Android to disable volume control, but I'm not aware of that...

Apparently, the system does it correctly on lollipop when using the API (E)AC3 passthrough (see netflix). Just have to do the same for "direct" passthrough.

Note that I'm looking into api based passthrough, but no dts in sight, so not a proper replacement, yet.
(2015-07-16, 07:56)Koying Wrote: Yeah, I know. Still nothing we can do if the device allows the PT bistream to be altered by system volume...

Unless there is a way for an app to tell to Android to disable volume control, but I'm not aware of that...

Apparently, the system does it correctly on lollipop when using the API (E)AC3 passthrough (see netflix). Just have to do the same for "direct" passthrough.

Note that I'm looking into api based passthrough, but no dts in sight, so not a proper replacement, yet.

We shall try to "lock" the system volume while PT is in use.
Thanks.
Dear Koying,

I am sorry to report that passthrough does not work at all on my Sony Android TV and I'm getting same noise as reported by OP above but at full blast through my AVR!!! I don't quite understand your explanations above but on my (very smart) SONY TV when set to output to the audio system (AVR) the native Video player passes through DTS and DD 5.1 to my AVR perfectly with the volume level unchanged, and the AVR volume can then be turned up or down with either the TV or AVR remote control.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
passthrough broke on 15.0, OK on 13.30