ASUS Chromebox Stuck on "Booting from hard disk"
(2015-08-28, 06:33)GoodwillGuru Wrote: Hi everyone, another newbie here. My apologies in advance Matt. I, too, must have done something wrong after installing your coreboot firmware Sad Now upon pressing the power button on my Asus Chromebox CN60 (M075U), the exact same screenshot posted by ValueVillage above (SeaBios, Booting from hard disk.., ect.) appears IMMEDIATELY (no other preceeding text at all) and none of the keyboard presses work. I know the keyboard works b/c it worked for everything that landed me to this point.

Anyway, I followed the "Resetting to Stock" wiki instructions exactly, successfully created the Linux Live USB, have it in my hand. Everything is fine until this point, when I get confused... "Boot the Linux live USB, then open a terminal/shell window"..... How/where do I "boot" the USB? How is this possible if I can't even get to the boot screen? Because like I said, upon pressing power, it immediately and I mean IMMEDIATELY goes to the "SeaBios/booting from hard disk" screen. I tried inserting the Linux USB before pressing power, after pressing power, all combinations of keyboard commands... and nothing.

Please, any help would be greatly appreciated, as I'm now terrified that I may have just permanently bricked my brand new chromebox!!!

with the custom/standalone firmware, the SeaBIOS boot screen will be the first thing you see. If a bootable USB device is detected, it will display the text 'Press ESC for boot menu' and you will have 5s to do so. Since you aren't getting that text, it likely means that your USB device isn't initializing within the time required by the USB spec. You don't need a different keyboard, you don't need to reset to stock; you need to re-create the USB install media for whatever OS you were trying to load (OpenELEC, Kodibuntu, etc) using a different USB stick, and simply try again.

(all of this is covered in the troubleshooting section of the wiki) Smile
Hey everyone!

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I wasn't able to find my answer elsewhere in my searches.

Got the coreboot firmware set up and it's loading Ubuntu up just fine -- thanks for everything you've done, Matt! My question is this: how can I set a boot order now that everything is in place? I have an external USB drive and a memory card I have in, but if I reboot/power cycle/power goes out then comes back on, I get stuck trying to load from the USB devices. Now that stuff is rocking and rolling, how can I set the hard drive as the primary boot device?

Thanks in advance!
(2016-03-11, 05:22)kristopher Wrote: Hey everyone!

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I wasn't able to find my answer elsewhere in my searches.

Got the coreboot firmware set up and it's loading Ubuntu up just fine -- thanks for everything you've done, Matt! My question is this: how can I set a boot order now that everything is in place? I have an external USB drive and a memory card I have in, but if I reboot/power cycle/power goes out then comes back on, I get stuck trying to load from the USB devices. Now that stuff is rocking and rolling, how can I set the hard drive as the primary boot device?

Thanks in advance!

easy - re-run the script from Ubuntu, select menu option to update the firmware, and choose N (or just hit enter, since N is the default) when the USB boot priority option is presented. Reboot, and the SSD will be the default boot target.
Thanks for the help! Worked like a charm!
hi there, seems i am one (likely of many) neophytes who have likely proceed their newly acquired asus chrome box while trying to install kodi as per wiki instructions. In my defense this is the second time to make the stall, first chrome box alive and well and doing everything and more required of it.

alas this second time, like the others, did not accept the dual boot and while chrome OS was fine, kodi refused to boot up, instead stalling at booting from hard disk.

I then proceeded to try to re write as directed and alas ended up flashing the firmware (thinking i had a copy made ready to go) but alas that is not the case so now i need to find a way (in layman terms) to get the Ubuntu iso file burnt to USB and v clear directions (why i am writing here) as i can't follow the ones written, in order to unblock my latest chrome box.

With the upmost respect and thanks in advance for any help

Mike
(2016-05-05, 02:20)coxnco Wrote: I then proceeded to try to re write as directed and alas ended up flashing the firmware (thinking i had a copy made ready to go) but alas that is not the case so now i need to find a way (in layman terms) to get the Ubuntu iso file burnt to USB and v clear directions (why i am writing here) as i can't follow the ones written, in order to unblock my latest chrome box.

if you've flashed the standalone firmware, then you can boot any live/USB install media, just need to create it on another PC as per the usual instructions. If you're on Windows, the easiest way to create working install media is with Rufus. Before proceeding though, need to know what setup you want to have.
hi there and thanks for the reply.

I would love to repeat what i have (had) i.e. chrome and kodi dual boot set up.

standing by to meet "Rufus"....i can make a boot media on either windows or mac.

thanks again

PS just purchased 2 x new usb drives and ready to go ( i hope).

Mike
(2016-05-09, 04:52)coxnco Wrote: hi there and thanks for the reply.

I would love to repeat what i have (had) i.e. chrome and kodi dual boot set up.

standing by to meet "Rufus"....i can make a boot media on either windows or mac.

thanks again

PS just purchased 2 x new usb drives and ready to go ( i hope).

Mike

if you want to dual boot ChromeOS and Kodi, you'll need to first re-flash the stock firmware (which isn't a big deal). But what were you using ChromeOS for? You might find that running the Chromium browser on Open/LibreELEC meets your needs without the hassle of dual booting.
hi matt

sorry i would not know the difference so will defer to your experience and advice.

on my other chrome box i managed to instal a dual boot where by i can choose to boot into chrome or into kodi, 9 out of 10 its kodi but 1 out of 10 i will go chrome as i want to check something online such as e mail etc on that machine

so you tell me what you think best, I'm happy just to get the thing re flashed and running kodi at this point!! (LOL)

thanks again

Mike
(2016-05-09, 20:54)coxnco Wrote: hi matt

sorry i would not know the difference so will defer to your experience and advice.

on my other chrome box i managed to instal a dual boot where by i can choose to boot into chrome or into kodi, 9 out of 10 its kodi but 1 out of 10 i will go chrome as i want to check something online such as e mail etc on that machine

so you tell me what you think best, I'm happy just to get the thing re flashed and running kodi at this point!! (LOL)

thanks again

Mike

since you flashed the firmware already, easiest thing to do is install LibreELEC 7.0.0 (Kodi 16.2) as per the instructions in the wiki, then install the Chromium browser addon and you should have everything you need. Can even be used for Netflix and Amazon prime streaming
sorry back to square 1, i flashed the firmware and have now got error message as above, how / where do i find a downloaded copy of Kodi 16.2 and more importantly how do i put that on a usb stick so my chrome box can recognize it at boot up and then load it?

Theses are the "in layman terms" instructions i was hoping to find / be given?

sorry for any confusion

mike
(2016-05-10, 00:59)coxnco Wrote: sorry back to square 1, i flashed the firmware and have now got error message as above, how / where do i find a downloaded copy of Kodi 16.2 and more importantly how do i put that on a usb stick so my chrome box can recognize it at boot up and then load it?

Theses are the "in layman terms" instructions i was hoping to find / be given?

sorry for any confusion

mike

what error msg, I don't see one that you posted?

The links to download LibreELEC/Kodi and create the install media are on the Chromebox wiki page under section 3 - Installation, Configuration, Updating
First off thanks to the Kodi community, you really do a fantastic job!!

I have an issue where bootable drives are no longer detected at startup. Just to note this all worked fine till a month ago

Setup

I have Kodi (isengard) running on a Asus Chromebox, I also use a SSD USB that has Windows 10 on. This allows me to use the box for work during the day (using my lovely 60" TV) and then use if for entertainment at night. With the bootable USB inserted I used to get a prompt to choose which device I want to boot from, when I removed the drive it booted straight into Kodi (easy for my wife and kids).

About a month ago this stopped working, the bootable drive is no longer detected in time.

I have tried other bootable USB drives and they also fail, use my USB drive in a different computer works fine so I can safely say its not an issue with the drive but to do with the chromebox and bootloader.

Three Questions

1. My gut feeling is the USB ports are no longer powered on at startup. DId windows 10 do this or has there been an update to Kodi?
2. Can the bootloader boot to Kodi and boot to a removeable SSD USB running win 10?
3. Ctrl L brings me to a boot prompt, can I issue a commend to boot to the USB drive?

Cheers,

Adrian
(2016-08-12, 17:07)Sneezy Wrote: Three Questions

1. My gut feeling is the USB ports are no longer powered on at startup. DId windows 10 do this or has there been an update to Kodi?
2. Can the bootloader boot to Kodi and boot to a removeable SSD USB running win 10?
3. Ctrl L brings me to a boot prompt, can I issue a commend to boot to the USB drive?

1) no, the OS has no control over that, only the firmware
2) no
3) [CTRL+L] is only valid for the stock ChromeOS firmware, not my updated/standalone firmware. All you're doing is interrupting the bootloader from booting the SSD.

I assume you're using the front USB ports, which share a power source and can sometimes be temperamental. Have you tried one of the rear ones? There's nothing you can do to force SeaBIOS to detect USB devices that fail to initialize in the allotted time, or to wait longer; that would have to be changed in firmware.
Hi Matt,

Thanks for the fast response and your help. Yes I did try different ports, no change.

I think its now fixed but I cannot understand why....

I just inserted the standalone installer USB key made previously (it was detected by the boot loader). I then proceeded to reinstall Kodi onto the chromebox. Once it completed the SSD USB drive reappeared during boot (the press Esc to choose drive option)

I have performed several resets and everything now seem OK. I am still at a loss why this happened...

Cheers,

A

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
ASUS Chromebox Stuck on "Booting from hard disk"0