Refresh rate adjustment not working & missing option to choose sync method
I'm facing a couple of issues for which any help is greatly appreciated:

1) The adjust refresh rate "On start/stop" setting doesn't seem to work. I have a video which drops from 30.000 to 29.91 fps (according to Kodi's codec overlay) for a while in the middle of the video. When this happens, Kodi tries to adjust the refresh rate during playback regardless of having selected "on start/stop", resulting in an annoying flicker of the screen and the OSD popping up on top of the video. Only when turning off the refresh rate adjustment does the playback go smoothly. So in essence, "on start/stop" seems to be functioning just like "Always" setting and not like I was expecting it to (i.e. to "lock" the refresh rate until the end of the video).

2) The option to select the audio sync method is missing from the settings (was already missing at least when using the Isengard betas), even though I have "Expert" view selected. Judging by the Kodi log, it looks like drop/dupe audio is automatically selected. Not sure if the ability to choose between drop/dupe, video clock and resampling is even supposed to be there anymore, but at least it still seems to show in the Kodi wiki.

Currently running Isengard RC2, Win 8.1 64bit, Intel HD graphics.
Anyone? Huh

Is there a reason why the sync method setting was suddenly left out in 15.0? Is it possible to set it via advancedsettings.xml, for example (doesn't seem like it)? I can't find any info about the change in the Isengard change lists.

And surely something must be broken with the refresh rate adjustment "On start/stop" setting? Kodi shouldn't be trying to adjust it during playback, right? Yet even the log is showing refresh rate was indeed adjusted. It's either broken or (more likely) I'm just misunderstanding the whole point of the said setting.
Check out this thread:

http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=...light=sync
(2015-07-17, 13:30)derekjason Wrote: Check out this thread:

http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=...light=sync

Thanks, derekjason!

If I understood it correctly, it seems drop/dupe is now only available with passthrough enabled (?). Too bad, because I need drop/dupe with non-passthrough (like I used to have it configured until Isengard). Sad
No, that's wrong.

If you want drop / dupe. Just disable "Sync playback to Display" and done.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
(2015-07-17, 14:54)fritsch Wrote: No, that's wrong.

If you want drop / dupe. Just disable "Sync playback to Display" and done.

Good to know, thanks for clearing that out!

Now, still scratching my head over the functionality of the "On Start/Stop" setting - what could be causing Kodi to try and adjust the refresh rate in the middle of a video clip (instead of just at start/stop)? In case it matters, my HTPC is connected to a 2014 Samsung TV via HDMI and audio via Toslink to DAC to analog amp.
Live TV for example, refresh rate might change during movies/commercials, especially in the "60 Hz" world.
(2015-07-17, 21:20)a11599 Wrote: Live TV for example, refresh rate might change during movies/commercials, especially in the "60 Hz" world.

Just trying to make sure I get it right: if the fps of a playing video clip changes, only the "Always" setting (not "On Start/Stop") should result in the screen flickering/momentarily blacking out because of Kodi adjusting the tv's refresh rate? (With the problematic video I'm talking about the tv actually stays at 30 Hz all the time but the screen flickers as the fps drops and Kodi starts the unnecessary and unwanted refresh rate adjustment.)

Right now what happens in my setup is that "Always" and "On Start/Stop" behave exactly the same: Kodi proceeds to adjust the refresh rate - that is, even when told to do it only on playback start and stop. Only the "Off" setting bypasses refresh rate adjustment during playback. I'm quite puzzled as to why it should be so.
I really don't think that should be the case. Please provide a debug log during one of these refresh rate changes.
(2015-07-19, 00:25)kricker Wrote: I really don't think that should be the case. Please provide a debug log during one of these refresh rate changes.

http://xbmclogs.com/plz2zfrr5

"Display resolution ADJUST" appears three times in the log. Like I wrote before, as far as I understand any adjusting shouldn't happen during playback of the same clip when "On Start/Stop" is selected. According to the visual debug overlay in Kodi, the framerate momentarily drops from 30 to 22.8 (but because Kodi is instructed NOT to adjust the framerate during playback, I don't think the frame rate variation should matter?)
Before I find a dev to take a peek at this, can you try again without an advancedsettings.xml file? You have a couple of settings in there that may cause the issue, I am not sure. I don't even know what
Code:
<synctype>1</synctype>
is supposed to do, as I do not see it in the Wiki.
It is all working as expected. The video you played is variable framerate. We try to avoid switching refresh rate too often. If framerate is not detected as constant, we switch to the highest one measured so far. After that it is not changed anymore.
So the "On Start/Stop" setting is not really an accurate name for the setting anymore. What's the thought behind having it switch to the highest framerate? If one is playing a show at 23.976 or 24, then it hits a commercial at 29.97, then your stuck watching the rest of the show at 29.97.
(2015-07-20, 19:28)kricker Wrote: So the "On Start/Stop" setting is not really an accurate name for the setting anymore.

That did not change. This setting was invented to prevent from switching back to desktop refreshrate when going to the menu while a movie plays.

(2015-07-20, 19:28)kricker Wrote: What's the thought behind having it switch to the highest framerate?

You certainly don't want to switch to a lower one because it would continuously drop and stutter. Try watching some 29.9 content at 24Hz.

Framerate detection stops after a couple of minutes anyway. This did not change either.
Thank you for the clarification. I guess it was never an accurate name for the setting then, as it reads to me "on start/stop" of the video only. So users think it should only change upon starting and stopping the video and not during playback. I guess it is not much of an issue most of the time as long as the detection stops quick enough. Is there an advancedsetting to adjust this detection time?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Refresh rate adjustment not working & missing option to choose sync method0