What is the relationship between OpenELEC and Kodi versions
A bit confused about the relationship between OpenElec and Kodi (on RPi2 in particular). Are they always built and installed together? Can I install just a new build of OpenElec without changing the version of Kodi?

Wanting a dual audio feature (sound out both my hifi speakers and my TV) I am running Kodi (Isengard) 15.0 Beta 2 + OpenELEC Dual Audio 5.95.2 (6.0) for RPi2 downloaded and installed from one tar file. Having problems with CEC I would like to try one of the Millhouse builds of OpenELEC to see if the new version of Libcec helps. Is that possible without losing the dual audio (a feature I use every day)? The Millhouse builds refer to Kodi 16.0, I would like to stay with 15.0 at least until it is fully released.

Initially I thought of OpeELEC as an operating system, thus something updated independantly of the player (Kodi), but they seem inextricably linked. Forgive the noobie question, but the lines between Kodi and OpenELEC seem really blurred to me, can anyone clarify?
The lines seem blurred because each version of OElec will be customised to a particular version of kodi, and you get updates to either/both components together.
The experimental builds are updated differently, and explore particular features - some of the results get fed back for use with the standard releases.
The easiest way to experiment without losing features you have and want is to use different SD cards or USB media (depending on how you have it installed) so you can see what changes will affect you.
HTH
Derek
OpenElec 5.95.1 = Kodi Isengard 15.0 beta 1
OpenElec 5.95.2 = Kodi Isengard 15.0 beta 2
OpenElec 5.95.3 = Kodi Isengard 15.0 RC2 (there was no OpenElec release for RC1).

There isn't yet an OpenElec release for the full final Isengard, but I guess it should be coming along shortly.

Basically your understanding is correct, OpenElec is the minimal OS that is used to support and run Kodi, with everything tuned and optimised to give the best performance possible for Kodi.

As you say Milhouse's current builds are for Kodi 16.0 (Jarvis), although his daily build summaries still say Isengard.
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts
(2015-07-24, 15:51)DarrenHill Wrote: although his daily build summaries still say Isengard.

Oops - thanks for pointing it out... Smile
Texture Cache Maintenance Utility: Preload your texture cache for optimal UI performance. Remotely manage media libraries. Purge unused artwork to free up space. Find missing media. Configurable QA check to highlight metadata issues. Aid in diagnosis of library and cache related problems.
(2015-07-24, 15:51)DarrenHill Wrote: OpenElec 5.95.1 = Kodi Isengard 15.0 beta 1
OpenElec 5.95.2 = Kodi Isengard 15.0 beta 2
OpenElec 5.95.3 = Kodi Isengard 15.0 RC2 (there was no OpenElec release for RC1).

There isn't yet an OpenElec release for the full final Isengard, but I guess it should be coming along shortly.

Is there an OpenELEC release for full final Isengard yet? Where do I look for this? I find the Millhouse build threads a bit confusing, he is onto Kodi 16.0 now so will there actually be a final release for Kodi 15.0 or is it going to be the same as RC2 e.g. 5.95.3
OpenELEC 6.0 - Isengard hasn't been released yet. You can check for the release at http://openelec.tv/news. It will probably be out within the next week.

Milhouse is publishing development builds, which test new features for upcoming OpenELEC releases on the Raspberry Pi. Isengard went into a "feature-freeze" about a month ago, when work started on Jarvis. The OpenELEC team then refined Isengard through their "beta" and "release-candidate" releases to make sure it's stable enough for general consumption. When they're satisfied a final release will be published (i.e. 6.0), likely followed by a few bug-fix releases (i.e. 6.1, 6.2, etc.).

Milhouse, popcornmix and other Raspberry Pi developers are cogs in a much larger OpenELEC machine.
I just read over on the Openelec forums, that they are just waiting to fix a specific issue with remotes, before releasing the final.
chewitt post=144809 Wrote:There is a specific problem with remotes that needs to be resolved before we publish a "stable" release to several hundred thousand OE users. It is being actively looked at.. but not being able to replicate the issue always causes a delay. Once that's done it will be released.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
What is the relationship between OpenELEC and Kodi versions0