How to block KODI system updates?
Hi,
Started KODI this morning, found myself staring at KODI version 15.
First of all, how come it updated by itself?
None of my plugins are set to update automatically - doesn't have many anyway.
I looked all over where could be a setting I could disable to block KODI upgrades (not the addins), and I couldn't find one.
1. Somebody can guide me where to search for that?
2. Can I downgrade to my 14 version?

Note: This particular issue running on Linux Mint 17, but I presume I will have the same problems when starting KODI on my Windows laptop - I am afraid of starting the program now because I do not like forced upgrades before reading as much as I can on the bugs that are still there - like I cannot start the program at all on one of my laptops.
I'm running a few versions right back to XBMC 13.2 and I've never experienced an auto-update in the main program. I do get notifications though. The auto-update feature is located in settings>top level of add-ons in a slide-out left side menu, you get a choice of auto update, never update, and notify update. Just thinking.. could this be a Mint 'feature?

There is a possibility that some non standard add-on has modified or bypassed this setting. You could downgrade, but I suspect there might be library issues. I do find Kodi 15 RC2 pretty solid on my Windows 7 system, have you an issue with the latest?
I checked. None of the addons were updated. Only KODI.
It is not about having issues - too early to say - just I do not like when software decides for me.
I just verified on my Windows machine, and the version is still the 14.2 one - no automatic upgrade, so my presumption was wrong...
Maybe it is something that is happening only on the Linux machine, with the Linux flavour I use - I have another laptop running same version of Linux (Lime v. 17), I will check if Kodi gets updated without me intervening.
I will post the result here...
On Windows only way I have ever found to update Kodi is to download a version from kodi.tv/download and run the windows installer (actually seems to be using the Nullsoft installer).

scott s.
I was going to open a similar thread.

I never experienced and auto-update of Kodi, only the add-ons. I dont understand how is possible what the op explains..

my point was about preventing ANY kind of update, since I see is the ONLY way to achieve an stable system, for example, for building one for a relative that is not versed in PC issues, a closed box.

Kodi is too weak for being continuously updated, too many components around, if anything changes, something breaks sooner or later. thats the only explanation for having now a perfect system and tomorrow, the PVR stops working fine, or whatever.

I want to disable:
- s.o. updates
- kodi updates
- kodi add-ons updates

and if a miss one, maybe I would like to know...
@VictorG

Well as stated in my prior message, Kodi gives you a choice of auto update, never update, and notify update for it's add-ons and at this point the OP is the only one I've heard of with a main program update and I highly suspect it has to do with the new O/S install and is not a Kodi issue.

Quote:Kodi is too weak for being continuously updated, too many components around, if anything changes, something breaks sooner or later.

I'll take exception with that statement, Kodi is as robust as any other program given the limitations of the operating system; some of which are widely discussed. Killing auto-updates is not going to make the system more stable, the vetting process to get an add-on through the official repository is thorough to give confidence that Kodi is never at risk. It's when the user adds in unofficial repositories and 3rd party add-ons directly downloaded that stability becomes an issue.
Linux Mint updated your apps. Windows does not use the same system Linux Mint does for updates. Moving this to the linux support forum.
Kodi does NOT auto update itself, never ever, on any platform. In case of linux, you either have auto updates enabled in your package manager or you did it yourself.
Actually it does...I had Kodi 14.2 and was very happy with how it ran..no problem the one day presto it upgraded to 15.2 which seemed fine only thumbnails loaded in their own time.so I uninstalled and decided to try Jarvis v16 to test it out.thumbnails work fine now but now ALL the previous skins are incompatible.which is not great as I was using one which allowed to activate dreamcatcher.When something works why involve new methods to cause things not to work and then try and pass it off as progress.every upgrade always changes something so you
Can see why some don't want to alter anything unless we choose to and to retain control of what we choose,not because some third party developer thinks he needs to reinvent the wheel ever time it turns one revolution.
No it does not ... it can't ... it only updates if _you_ fetch updates and upgrade your packages.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
I agree with fritsch. Kodi never auto-updates...on any linux version.
If you installed any updates via the os (either apt-get update, apt-get dist-update, or yum update) then kodi would have been in the list of packages that updated. That is the only time it would update.

Cheers!
(2015-07-25, 22:12)wsnipex Wrote: Kodi does NOT auto update itself, never ever, on any platform. In case of linux, you either have auto updates enabled in your package manager or you did it yourself.

period!
very sorry mate, but i am running an mx box, did not allow an upgrade as i know it would give me more of a headache, and finally, am not retarded.....period.....
(2015-11-14, 17:38)refillbill Wrote: very sorry mate, but i am running an mx box, did not allow an upgrade as i know it would give me more of a headache, and finally, am not retarded.....period.....

considering the junk you installed on it (reading the trashed message you wrote) i could have my doubts..... period.

Also this is a LINUX!!!!!! thread and not about Android.
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
Are people really arguing with the developers if kodi can auto update the main program? Lol this is ridiculious.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
How to block KODI system updates?0