Linux Kodi 15 freezes [SOLVED]
Sad 
I recently update my Linux Mint 17.2 Cinnamon to Kodi 15. Now the video will randomly freeze and/or I'll lose audio.
I never had this problem with 14.2. I've tried going back to 14.2 by using the "sudo apt-get install kodi=2:14.2* kodi-bin=2:14.2*" but
I get the message saying it couldn't find that version in the ppa. I found a listing of the versions in the ppa and it wasn't in there.
How do I get back to 14.2? My system: Athlon 5350 apu, ASRock AM1H-ITX mobo and 4GB G.Skill RAM. I'm using the HD8400
graphics on the apu and I'm connected by HDMI to a receiver then HDMI to the TV. Please make any answer easy to follow as I'm not
real handy in terminal. I usually copy and paste any terminal instructions. Thanks, you[/size]
Please read: Debug Log

and post the relevant data.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
OK fritsch, I'll try that tonight. Thanks for the quick reply I forgot to include that the audio is coming from the onboard Realtek ALC662 7.1 channels.
then you need to configure audio output correctly. Since you are on cinnamon, you are probably running pulse audio.
Fire up pavucontrol and check your output device settings.
also see PulseAudio (wiki)
Thanks for the info fritsch & wsnipex. I went home yesterday and installed and ran pavucontrol. It recognizes my
HDMI as stereo not 7.1. Any idea why?
I remembered that I had recently switched from the Linux graphics driver to the ATI one, so I attempted to switch back. Big mistake. Instead of hitting the "Revert" button, I just checked the Linux driver box. Screen went black when I opened Kodi. I rebooted. My pc gave me a message saying it was using (I forgot what exactly) video driver and that I should only use this mode to troubleshoot. The Driver Manager would not let me change to any of the three options (1 Linux, 2 ATI) listed. It said I was using a manually installed one. After many reboots and attempts to change drivers, I gave up and did a clean install of Linux Mint 17.2 Cinnamon.
It will be a few days before I get the OS set up to my liking and then I'll reinstall Kodi and pavucontrol. When I get it setup I'll see if I have the same Kodi video problem with the Linux drivers as I had with the ATI ones. As for the sound, if pavucontrol still sees HDMI stereo instead of 7.1, do I set it for passthrough? My receiver is a YAMAHA RX-V371 5.1-Channel.
Thanks again
See: http://kodi.wiki/view/PulseAudio
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
Quote:recently switched from the Linux graphics driver to the ATI one

don't do that, you will lose hardware video decoding in kodi.
Ok, Fritsch. I see in the link that you and wsnipex sent that if I have stereo it's passthrough and 7.1 it's multichannel.
Hopefully I can find Linux drivers (and instructions on how to install them) for the Realtek ALC662 that will turn on the 7.1.
too late, wsnipex. I'll be sure to keep the Linux drivers in this new install of Mint 17.2.
I've finally have my pc up and running with a fresh install of Mint 17.2 with Kodi 15 installed. I'm going with the Linux graphics drivers as recommended by wsnipex. The pavucontrol still sees my audio as "HDMI Stereo" not "HDMI 7.1" so following the instructions on the link that was provided, I setup for "passthrough". I have yet to watch any programs long enough to see if all is well. I'll be back to write "solved" if it is.
My audio is ALC 892 not ALC 662 as I had posted earlier. Newegg has it listed wrong on their site.
If anyone can tell me how to get 7.1 sound from it on Mint 17.2 I would appreciate it.
I have finally been up and running long enough to consider this SOLVED. Thanks for all the help!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi 15 freezes [SOLVED]0