Still unhappy with my setup - Remote and audio
Hello guys,

I bought my HTPC two years ago and since then I am not as satisfied as I want to be with this setup.

First of all there is the remote:
As my motherboard has a CIR header I can used this to add some IR receiver so this PC is able to receive MCE remote signals. Next to the IR receiver I use this remote which is complete garbage in my opinion.
For example when I press the "Volume Up" button ten times very fast (lets say 1 second) the remote still takes a very long time to actually send these signals so commands still gets sent when I don't press anything anymore.
I found this youtube video which demonstrates it quite well: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2va1YIfV51Y
As this problem seems to be with all Logitech harmony remotes I don't want to buy these anymore.

I think I could fix this problem by either to a non-logitech non-universal remote like the Xbox One Remote which looks really good or switch from the whole HTPC stuff to an Amazon Fire TV which seems to have a better working remote bundled.
What kept me away from Android devices like the Fire TV is that they don't support HD audio but I have some movies which come with only HD audio streams.

Second problem is the audio:
I use an old Sony Bravia KDL40W4000 and its integrated speakers, but its not the sound quality which really destroys any movie experience for me is that I have to constantly readjust the volume to understand what the characters are saying and not getting deaf when in the next scene there is a shooting, I just want to enjoy a movie without the remote in my hand.
I tried already volume amplification, stereo upmix and several other options in Kodis sound settings, but they didn't completely fit my expectations.
So what I need is either a software solution or a new audio setup.
For the software part I found this here:
http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=...pid2059476
Quote:Since this thread was started there's been work done on a DSP subsystem and it has even been merged into master recently. This means that features such as this can actually be implemented. With a little bit of luck and motivation it might even be there when the next Kodi release is out!
Does it mean Kodi 15.1, Kodi 16 or is it already in Kodi 15 but I just don't find it?
Also I read something about a "boost center in downmix" option but it seems this is only available for OpenElec, why don't the Windows version have this option?

The other point would be buying new audio hardware, I think I'd need a AVR and for the beginning two speaker, I'd like to spend around ~400 for the AVR and ~100 for each speaker (as I currently do not have too much space I'd prefer smaller ones, maybe some which could be act as rear speaker in the future when I move). I already have two of these Philips http://i.imgur.com/A54Tnh0.jpg could these be used?

For now I'd prefer Xbox Remote (if it works and don't have this delay as the Logitech one?) as my remote and buy a AVR to fix my audio issues.

I really appreciate any answers!
I have an even older Harmony One remote than the one you have.
It too used to infuriate me with lag and skipped presses.

Bought a RPi 2 and a FLIRC USB IR receiver, mapped Kodi keyboard controls to various buttons on the remote and set the intra key delay to one. The Harmony has been lag free ever since. The Harmony settings needed adjusting as well if I remember for response times and button repeat delays.
FLIRC really is excellent.

As for Boost Centre Channel on Downmix.
There is a Windows version link at the end of this thread...
http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=196421

I've been using a logitech remote for years and had no issue. Actually after about 4-5 years I replaced my Harmony 300 with a 350 because I wore out the buttons. It might be your set up. I installed a HP USB IR reader for my PC receiver. When programming the remote I entered that as an appliance (aux) and then had the volume buttons hard set to control the TV volume. I recall when I first started setting up my remote people recommended to use a SW to receive the IR and then have the PC translate everything (eversomething). I found it to be a waste of time. My putting the IR receiver model number into the myharmony.com site all the arrow keys, media buttons all worked right away. My biggest beef is I can't disable the live button without having to reprogram the remote the hard way. So now if I accidentally hit that button I need to wait for Microsoft Live to open then close it down manually.
I too am using Harmony Remotes (300,650, Smart Control) - and never had the issues you are talking about. If my Kodi-Box has "keypress executions" after I stop pressing buttons, it is because Kodi isn't fast enough to process the commands it received, not because the remote is lagging behind...
Yes that is exactly what have found as well. Faster box, better response from the remote.

Quote:As for Boost Centre Channel on Downmix.
There is a Windows version link at the end of this thread...
http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=196421
Thank you, I will check it out next weekend! Smile

Quote:I too am using Harmony Remotes (300,650, Smart Control) - and never had the issues you are talking about. If my Kodi-Box has "keypress executions" after I stop pressing buttons, it is because Kodi isn't fast enough to process the commands it received, not because the remote is lagging behind...
For me its definetly the remote which causes the problem.
Everytime when I press one button the remote will light up the device button at the top:
https://i.imgur.com/n4auGgd.png

When I press some buttons really fast (I do not keep one button pressed, I press them multiple times!) for 5 second it will take another 5 seconds until the light stops, so the remote takes 10 seconds to send all the commands I pressed in 5 seconds. When I use my usual keyboard everything is responsive and I can press as fast as I want, Kodi will act immediately.

Did all of you also set your remote on their webinterface up?

Which device did you configured your Harmony for? If I remember correctly I used some preconfigured Microsoft Keyboard stuff so I could assign keyboard buttons like 'A' or 'B' to the buttons.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Still unhappy with my setup - Remote and audio0