v15 HDHomeRun Live TV vs. NextPVR Live TV
I am a many years user of WMC and with Windows 10 impending w/o WMC, I am now ready to explore new options (plus every MS update in the last 6 months screws up something in WMC). We use several PCs and tablets as WMC extenders, making centrally-recorded TV available throughout the house. Replacing all that may be a tall order, but I hope it can be done.

I have Kodi 15 isengard on multiple PCs and 2 HDHomerun Prime boxes with cable cards (=6 digital tuners) on my 1GB LAN. I am trying to come up to speed on NextPVR for recording and whichever is best for Live TV. I have both the NextPVR (PVR)and HDHomerun (Video) add-ons installed in Kodi. I have NextPVR server configured to find and use the (6) HDHomerun tuners. When I watch Live HD TV in the NextPVR client, I get a lot of stuttering and buffering. (I have the buffering location on an SSD for speed and reduced latency.)

In working with the HDHomeRun (Video) add-on, when I select Launch, I get flawless, stutter- and buffering-free HD video - just like when I run the HDHomerun View app outside of Kodi and NextPVR. When I go to TV in Kodi and select to view a live HD channel, I get a lot of stuttering and buffering - whether NPVR is on a single server used by one or more Kodi clients - or on the same box with Kodi, (NPVR, and HDHomeRun on the same box). I need both an adequate Live TV solution and a PVR solution, neither which stutters or buffers on HD TV.

My hope is this is a configuration issue and someone here knows the answer (as soon as I learn the secret handshake-fistbump routine).
Does video work fine in the NextPVR app itself?

I used NextPVR for a bit, but it is unfortunately lacking with timeshifting capabilities in Kodi. I never had video issues though, so definitely sounds like a config issue somewhere.
Thanks for the quick response. Initially, video in the NextPVR (web?) client, app that opens on my desktop was stuttering and buffering badly. Today, it never shows anything for even an SD channel. When I had gone thru the NextPVR config, it did find my 2 HDHomerun cablecard boxes without issues, so it leaves me at a loss. I'm not wedded to NextPVR, I just need to select a backend PVR service for recording TV that is also Kodi-compatible. In the Kodi pages, NextPVR worked with cablecards, so that's how I got there. If there's a better choice for PVR, I'm open to it.
Does video work fine in the NextPVR app itself?
(2015-07-28, 22:20)grwatwork Wrote: Thanks for the quick response. Initially, video in the NextPVR (web?) client, app that opens on my desktop was stuttering and buffering badly. Today, it never shows anything for even an SD channel. When I had gone thru the NextPVR config, it did find my 2 HDHomerun cablecard boxes without issues, so it leaves me at a loss. I'm not wedded to NextPVR, I just need to select a backend PVR service for recording TV that is also Kodi-compatible. In the Kodi pages, NextPVR worked with cablecards, so that's how I got there. If there's a better choice for PVR, I'm open to it.

If the video isn't working in the NextPVR app itself that needs to be your first priority. If it doesn't work there, it won't work in Kodi. I'd definitely suggest the NextPVR forum http://forums.nextpvr.com/ to ask for help, there are many very helpful people there.

As to what PVR to use, that comes down to what you need it to do. For me NextPVR worked great for scheduling and playing content. It just lacks in the ability to handle timeshifting live content (really the issue is how Kodi handles http streaming). Since that's a primary use case for me I moved back to ServerWMC. If you mainly watch things after they've fully finished recording then I would definitely recommend NextPVR
I've had lots of problems with the latest update to Kodi (15) with awful stuttering and buffering. When I use NPVR inside of Kodi (using HDPrime) things are just fine but when using the Live HD View or HDHomeRun app in Kodi, things go to crap.
This didn't happen in 14. What's different and how can I correct this problem.
(sorry for the thread-jack)
I use serverWMC instead of NPVR and it works ok for me when 1 or 2 clients are using Live TV on different channels.
The buffering issue start when 3 clients are using it at the same time.
However, my server PC (where serverWMC runs) is not very powerful so that might be the problem.
I have a similar config with 2 HDHomerun Prime and all my clients are connected via 1 GB lan.
I have some Raspberry Pi2 clients and some windows PC clients as well.
I also heard that the Kodi team is working on fixing some buffering issues with Isengard 15.0.
They are testing 15.1 right now so maybe this will fix your problem.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HDHomeRun Live TV vs. NextPVR Live TV0