Black levels suddenly all messed up (Intel HD graphics)
Don't know if it was the switch to Win 10, Isengard or some Intel graphics driver update but I can't get limited range blacks working anymore.

I have driver set to full range and Kodi set to limited as before but blacks display all the way from 0 and the picture looks washed out. What's more confusing is that at 60 Hz my Samsung tv does display limited range but at 24 Hz it's full range. Confused

Would appreciate it if someone could point out to me the currently correct settings for Intel HD drivers. The usual settings (driver full range & Kodi limited range) just doesn't seem to work anymore.
I assume you are using the latest Win 10-compatible Intel drivers?

Can't you force the Samsung to use limited range? That would seem an essential part of the fix.

I haven't moved to Win 10 yet but I did have a similar issue when I updated the Intel driver on my Win 8.1 HTPC. I toggled the driver settings a few times to ensure that both application and display settings were on full range and that fixed the issue.
Yes it's the latest Intel driver.

The strange part is that just yesterday I did manage to get it working after I created a 60 Hz custom resolution (to replace the 59 Hz Windows defaults to). But today it's suddenly not limited anymore when the TV's at 24 Hz. The HDMI black level is at the Low setting (meaning limited for Samsung, I believe).

I guess I could try forcing driver to full range via registry.
I just got proper black levels for a short while by using the EnableRGBFullRange registry hack but as soon as I updated Kodi to Jarvis Alpha 1, the black levels are messed up again (Kodi menus very dark, black range starting from 0).

I have no idea why it's sometimes working and sometimes not. If it's a driver issue I would expect other Win 10 + HD 3500 graphics users reporting similar problems.
Is Jarvis now on DX11? I found the DX11 builds messed up my black levels - brightness too high compared to menus. It's a problem with DXVA2 which I had to disable
Yes the DX11 work was merged at the beginning of July so is in any v16 builds since then.
In that case the OP latest problem might be DX11 related. Try disabling DXVA2
(2015-09-01, 18:38)MadScientist Wrote: In that case the OP latest problem might be DX11 related. Try disabling DXVA2

I just realized it too, Jarvis is DX11-based.

Too bad, using DXVA2 is mandatory in my setup (CPU hits 100% in certain scenarios without it). Hopefully the DXVA2 issue gets sorted - though frankly I have no idea to what extent, if at all, it's a Kodi code issue. Meanwhile, I guess I'll just have to tweak my brightness down to hit proper black levels (?).
This is starting to go way over my head: it seems as if the "limited range" function of Kodi is working in reverse when DXVA2 is enabled with DX11.

With 1) driver set to full range, 2) TV to limited and 3) limited range UNticked in Kodi, I seem to get normal limited range blacks on my regular TV brightness setting.

Whereas with limited range TICKED in Kodi, I have to lower brightness by 10+! Precisely the opposite of what I would expect.
(2015-09-01, 23:19)Uoppi Wrote: With 1) driver set to full range, 2) TV to limited and 3) limited range UNticked in Kodi, I seem to get normal limited range blacks on my regular TV brightness setting.

I've been meaning to try that. Thanks for the heads up.
(2015-09-01, 23:39)MadScientist Wrote:
(2015-09-01, 23:19)Uoppi Wrote: With 1) driver set to full range, 2) TV to limited and 3) limited range UNticked in Kodi, I seem to get normal limited range blacks on my regular TV brightness setting.

I've been meaning to try that. Thanks for the heads up.

To my eyes, with those settings the Black Clipping test file looks identical to the "proper" settings with DX9. I'm still a bit worried the colors might be off because the Kodi menu is so dark. But in videos, colors appear ok to me, not too dark, not washed out etc.

I'm also not sure if my thinking of Kodi reversing the limited range function in DX11 makes any sense but at least to my tired brain it appears so.Big Grin

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Black levels suddenly all messed up (Intel HD graphics)0