Linux [Bug?] DualShock 4 Controller with Kodi 15.1
Hello,

My DualShock 4 (PS4) controller is not usable/detected by Kodi on Gentoo Linux. Does anyone here have it working on Gentoo, or have any ideas? Currently using Kodi 15.1, but it didn't work for me on 14.2 either. I have enabled the joystick option in Kodi's settings.

EDIT: I have managed to get two buttons to work in Kodi 15.1, but not the rest, as described in later posts. Added link to my debug log. I think this could be a bug in Kodi 15.1.

dmesg output looks good:
Code:
sony 0005:054C:05C4.0005: Using modified Dualshock 4 Bluetooth report descriptor
input: Wireless Controller as /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:14.0/usb1/1-1/1-1:1.0/bluetooth/hci0/hci0:11/0005:054C:05C4.0005/input/input10
sony 0005:054C:05C4.0005: input,hidraw3: BLUETOOTH HID v1.00 Gamepad [Wireless Controller] on xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx

Thank you.
provide a Debug Log
btw I've tried both PS3 and PS4 controllers (only in wired mode). They are detected in both Kodibuntu and in a 14.04 standalone install "from scratch", but the keymaps seem to be very very wrong.
After giving the PS4 controllers event device (e.g. /dev/input/event7) read permissions for everyone, the select and back buttons on the controller started working in Kodi 15.1. I'd like to get the rest of the buttons working as well, especially the arrow buttons.

Is this similar, or different from your experience, Soli?

I will provide a debug log later.
Here is the debug log showing the Wireless Controller entries. I tried pressing all of the buttons on the controller, but only select and back actually responds in Kodi's UI.

My debug log
No, my experience is that it's totallly f***** up. R1/R2 are up/down. L2 is Volume down, while Left thumbstick[left] is Volume up. The default deadzone isn't enough, so Volume is constantly going up. It might not be 100% accurate what I've decribed, but you get an idea how f up it is. And it's the same on stock Kodibuntu and another unrelated standalone install where I built Kodi from source.

The behavior with a ps3 controller is exactly the same.
Indeed, that is quite different. I also found this thread, maybe their problem is related to my problem or both our problems. There is also a thread about keymap issues, that possibly began with Kodi 15.1.
I'll try turning on debug log later. I'm using inbuilt sony_hid driver with kernel 4.1.6. Both ps3/ps4 controllers get picked up by retroarch and work just as intended.
(2015-09-08, 20:02)Soli Wrote: No, my experience is that it's totallly f***** up. R1/R2 are up/down. L2 is Volume down, while Left thumbstick[left] is Volume up. The default deadzone isn't enough, so Volume is constantly going up. It might not be 100% accurate what I've decribed, but you get an idea how f up it is. And it's the same on stock Kodibuntu and another unrelated standalone install where I built Kodi from source.

The behavior with a ps3 controller is exactly the same.

I have a similar problem with all my PS3 Dualshocks. Within the mainmenu it jumps clockwise or counterclockwise between the items (Movies, music,...) I can confirm to go into a section by pressing a button and then it jumps for example between all my movies. I think the deadzone of the analog Sticks is bad. With Kodi14 the behavior was ok and I could use all controllers as remote for Kodi.
I am trying a different bluetooth controller now, but the results are the same. I have compiled in everything bluetooth related in the kernel as well. I also have a bluetooth keyboard which is working just fine. The problems are with the PS4 controller in Kodi.
Probably just needs a new keymap, and maybe a little tweak to the deadzone. I would probably have done it myself if I really needed the ps4 controller to work in Kodi. It shouldn't be too hard to figure out, just need to edit the existing keymaps a little.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[Bug?] DualShock 4 Controller with Kodi 15.10