Hardware to playback 10bit 1080p HEVC
What are the minimum requirements to playback 10bit 1080p HEVC files from PC to a TV.

1. Since its not 4k can I use any HDMi 1.3 or 1.4 cable?

2. How do I check if the display is actually showing in 10bit when playing files from a PC? I would not want any 10bit to 8bit conversion somewhere in the background.

3. How do I know if the software decoding is entirely using the CPU or graphics card. If it's entirely CPU, I should remove the graphics card and use onboard graphics.
Can Kodi currently support 10 bit video all the way through - or is 10 bit video scaled to 8 bit after decoding? I have a feeling it may currently do this?
(Similarly 4:2:2 content is apparently converted to 4:2:0 prior to output, though 4:2:2 is admittedly quite rare unless you create content yourself, and not related to HEVC)
No - we can't. Everything we have shader wise is full or limited range rgb at the output stage - it's OpenGL after all.

Edit: I must correct myself, We have RENDER_FMT_YUV420P10 and RENDER_FMT_YUV420P16 in place which handles this.

We run then into:

Code:
if (m_format == RENDER_FMT_YUV420P ||
      m_format == RENDER_FMT_YUV420P10 ||
      m_format == RENDER_FMT_YUV420P16)
  {
    srcFormat = CDVDCodecUtils::PixfmtFromEFormat(m_format);
    for (int i = 0; i < 3; i++)
    {
      src[i]       = im->plane[i];
      srcStride[i] = im->stride[i];
    }
  }

to produce RGB. The method does the following:
https://www.ffmpeg.org/doxygen/2.1/swscale_8h.html

to scale to RGB.

This is a pure sw path!
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
Does that mean any 10bit video will be output at 8bit video regardless of any hardware chosen?
Exactly for the SW path!

If hardware - like amlogic - does it differently - it will also need to scale / change color by itself.

Quote:10:47 < KS-> <koying>: @fritsch: We don't even "see" the frames. It's direct vpu->fb
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
To complete this: To my knowledge there is _no_ 10 bit hw accelerator with usable API as of now. We talked about this at ffmpeg yesterday. Nvidia needs to rework a lot in their vdpau code and in the userspace API - e.g. in gl interop ... that won't work as is.

I think the first implementations will do intransparent color conversion. E.g. You say: Give me the decoded frame in studio colors, please or Give me the decoded frame in full range please - and then let's interop ... a lot of infrastructure hw decoder wise needs to be written to get a 10 bit hwaccel format.

I find the 10 bit conversations quite funny ... as the data sheet says nothing about current working implementations ...
wrxtasy tests 10 bit HEVC using ff-hevc.....
Yup - > yuv420p10le(tv) from Kodi.

All the ducks would need be lined up tho for 10-bit > Hardware > API > Display.

my iMac outputs a Pixel Depth: 32-Bit Color (ARGB8888) to a Dell U2410 monitor

Is this 10-bit ?

ARGB8888 <- what does the 8 suggest ? :-)
Palm to face moment right there fritsch Wink

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Hardware to playback 10bit 1080p HEVC0