Poll: Would you download Premise and install the KODI and/or SpeechParser modules?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
YES, both KODI and SpeechParser module.
58.33%
YES, KODI module only.
22.92%
NO, not interested.
14.58%
Interested, but looks to complicated to figure out.
4.17%
Total
48 vote(s)
100%
* You voted for this item.

Would you use a FREE home automation program with KODI, including voice control?
A speech interface is definitely something that's on my list to add to my app.
Since Siri is still not available for 3rd parties I was thinking about using API.ai (https://api.ai/).
Instead of interpreting the returned text myself your SpeechParser and integration with Kodi could be just the thing I need.
Proud owner of comics42.shop 
My modules (KODI and SpeechParser) are written in vbscript, so yes they are open source, and can be modified in Premise Builder by anyone (with no need to compile code after changes).

If you've built functions in MS Excel or custom reports in MS Access, you can probably easily modify them without being a developer and only knowing a little programming! The good thing about this is the end user will inevitably want to add some custom phrases for speech recognition, this is easily done by editing my module (as the PDF I posted earlier shows). Maybe some special open sesame phrase that use a password to unlock their door using z-wave locks, etc...

Premise itself isn't open source, but it cost MANY millions to make (Motorola lost a lot of money, but gained intellectual not sure if Google owns that now or if one of the other companies ended up with it when Motorola was split).

Premise is very reliable, as it's service and base classes are constant and don't have 5 different versions. This would all go away quickly, and no functionality for the end user would be gained if there were several different forks, and the modules end users can easily create and share for new features would quickly become incompatible as they'd reference base classes in one version and not the other. I'm not saying this won't happen as some of the folks who created Premise are pushing for this, but it's obviously outside of my control!

If you want open-source, go with Mister House, but it's no where as easy to use as Premise. For now, it's much better to create new Premise modules for new features or completely new technologies and share these. For an HA program, you want stability, while also having versatility. The IDE Premise uses Premise Builder is very intuitive for the non-developer person who wants to integrate everything in their home (screenshots on wiki).

If a developer wants some new feature that can't be implemented in vbscript, there's always the SDK that supports C++ or .net. With the SDK, you can create whatever you want, and add it to Premise as an add-in.

You can also change the entire Schema of Premise's service as this is exposed in XML files in the install directory, and even use it for other purposes if you wanted too.

I'm not sure why you think Premise must be open-source to meet everyone's needs. I see now that linking to a wiki and asking folks to read it before voting is not enough! You guys should really read the wiki if you are curious:
http://cocoontech.com/forums/page/home-a...premise-r3

It seriously goes over all the questions you all keep asking!

(2015-09-15, 12:21)RockerC Wrote: Very interesting for Kodi if all the code for this is released as open source, but not interested if it closed source.

I've got nothing in general against you protecting your inovation, however having a "free" closed source option available generally discurages new open source alternatives from emerging.
Great idea! Sent you a PM.

(2015-09-15, 14:57)rschiks Wrote: A speech interface is definitely something that's on my list to add to my app.
Since Siri is still not available for 3rd parties I was thinking about using API.ai (https://api.ai/).
Instead of interpreting the returned text myself your SpeechParser and integration with Kodi could be just the thing I need.
pretty cool integration.
im actually employed in automation programming myself, all facets but find home AV the most satisfying
(2015-09-14, 22:25)etc6849 Wrote: The KODI Premise module right now pauses when certain events take place, and also displays a message (using KODI's JSON-RPC, this was trivial to implement). Currently, this occurs in my setup:
1. Door bell rings (message displayed, but the final version will use JSON-RPC to send the image path of my door bell camera. I actually meant to go back and add this, thanks for reminding me).

There is a security cam overlay plugin that I use alongside Xeoma to do exactly this with motion detection. I wrote a whole how-to here: http://knightcinema.com/2015/09/04/kodi-...veillance/

Its called by a simple http-get request to kodi using the JSON-RPC API. Simple. I have several cameras around my farm and since the cam overlay will overlay each other I get a continuous stream of video switching cameras to stay with the person as they move around. The same idea would work for you.

I would be interested in this if it was native to Ubuntu. Preferably as a daemon with a web interface if there is any interface.
Check out all my How-To's at http://KnightCinema.com
Maine, USA.
Using XBMC since Dharma 2010
Thanks! This means a lot coming from someone in the industry.

I've been doing HA for 6-7 years as a hobby; it's a great creative outlet figuring out how to integrate things. My degree is in electrical engineering though, so I think this has helped me pick things up quicker. I've also always been into home audio and video, so it was a good match to my other hobbies.

I wish I was doing HA as a job, but it's hard to quit a good paying job like I have now that is 100% stable (although not as technical).

(2015-09-16, 20:48)axa88 Wrote: pretty cool integration.
im actually employed in automation programming myself, all facets but find home AV the most satisfying
Nice work! I like the versatility of the camera software too. Got to love KODI's JSON-RPC protocol for making this level of integration possible.

As you've pointed out, Premise is windows based. There's pluses and minuses to this; since it is laid out just like most MS products and even includes a vbscript interpreter, almost any IT person well versed in MS products can literally pick it up and watch a few videos and begin integrating a home, office, etc...

It does suck it will never run on very low power devices though (unless it's an Intel Atom running W7 embedded or something). This doesn't impact me much though.

(2015-09-17, 22:58)jknight2014 Wrote: I would be interested in this if it was native to Ubuntu. Preferably as a daemon with a web interface if there is any interface.
Has anyone looked in to how this home automation suite compares to OpenHAB? I'm starting to put together a plan to automate my home and starting the downselect process of the central control suite first.
I'd love to see this implemented in a more packaged form. I've looked at Premise and while powerful, it requires a lot of work to pull everything together (I struggled it even get it to install on Win10). I have a number of the same devices that you do, Echo, ObiHai, Zwave lights, Kodi, etc and am looking to have Echo do more than it is today.
Very impressive! Would love to see the modules you have created and any how to videos on setting it up from start to finish.

Subscribing to this thread. Very interested in its development.
Sounds like you have a nice system. I hope the Premise wiki linked to it, but there's a thread on Cocoontech on how to install Premise.

I still want to make a few how to videos in an attempt to "package" things, but time is limited right now due to an 8 week project that came up at my real job.

If you mean by package something that works out of the box with the ObiHAI (I'm assuming you found the Premise Module 123 and I put together), Echo, Goolge Voice, z-wave, KODI, etc I can tell you this isn't going to exist. Every home automation system I've seen will require drivers/modules/add-ins/or whatever to be added in order to work with some specific or emerging technology. Unfortunately, there is no getting around this until something like AI changes this or all manufacturers agree on a common protocol (which isn't going to happen).

Look at the bright side: if a system didn't work with modules or add-ins that users can create and share, it wouldn't be very versatile. I know a lot of folks like the plug and play model, but for me I like to have complete control over how my system works, down to the smallest detail.

(2015-09-25, 02:37)astro14 Wrote: I'd love to see this implemented in a more packaged form. I've looked at Premise and while powerful, it requires a lot of work to pull everything together (I struggled it even get it to install on Win10). I have a number of the same devices that you do, Echo, ObiHai, Zwave lights, Kodi, etc and am looking to have Echo do more than it is today.
Thanks! I'll see if I can plop up a few videos for you guys tonight. I think these will clear up how to install Premise (since it was designed for XP), what Premise is, and what the scope of my home automation system looks like so you can judge if this is something you want to setup in your home.

If that goes well, I want to finish some loose ends on the KODI module (need to add music videos and pictures) and post it.

(2015-09-25, 05:38)hiphutch Wrote: Very impressive! Would love to see the modules you have created and any how to videos on setting it up from start to finish.

Subscribing to this thread. Very interested in its development.
I would download both and play with them. Since both are PC based, they can conceivably do the same thing depending on your programming ability.

I can tell you from looking at the OpenHAB interface, that Premise's IDE (aka Premise Builder) has a ton more features and options (accessible with a mouse). However, this doesn't mean it's the best for you, especially if you're a Java developer and enjoy programming.

(2015-09-23, 22:08)Talguy Wrote: Has anyone looked in to how this home automation suite compares to OpenHAB? I'm starting to put together a plan to automate my home and starting the downselect process of the central control suite first.
I just published some videos of Premise Builder, including the first 5 videos of what will become a 10 video "how to" series.

Video #5 is what I've installed for my home and should give you a decent view of how powerful Premise Builder is.

(2015-09-23, 22:08)Talguy Wrote: Has anyone looked in to how this home automation suite compares to OpenHAB? I'm starting to put together a plan to automate my home and starting the downselect process of the central control suite first.
Love the videos. Looks really easy to set up. Maybe I can convince my wife to finally let me do this to our place.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Would you use a FREE home automation program with KODI, including voice control?0