Improved PICTURE viewing
regarding the picture view, i would like to make a couple of suggestions to make it even easier negotiate around a jpeg.

1. panning around a picture when zoomed in using the dpad and the remote is very slow. it would be nice if the pan speed was proportional to the analoge stick, ranging from slow to very fast (especially important when zoomed in to 9x)

2. the jpeg decoder is very slow, especially with larger images. if possible, can this codec be changed? surely faster jpeg decoders must exist? if not, then pre-caching the next jpeg between picture transissions would increase the speed.

these would be excellant feature updates to include in the picture viewer.
1. i believe this is already in. we just need to tweak the speed of it a bit.

2. caching uses ram. large pictures use lots of it. we don't have much. also, we currently use the cximage library to load stuff up. some formats we can probably load quicker using xbox native routines, though this will require a moderate amount of code shuffling. good suggestion.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

thanks for the hard work so far, very much appreciated. :-)

Quote:1.  i believe this is already in.  we just need to tweak the speed of it a bit.
this change works quite well for the analog stick:
Quote:index: guiwindowslideshow.cpp
===================================================================
rcs file: /cvsroot/xbmc/xbmc/xbmc/guiwindowslideshow.cpp,v
retrieving revision 1.15
diff -r1.15 guiwindowslideshow.cpp
678,679c678,679
<                       float fx=2*action.famount1;
<                       float fy=2*action.famount2;
---
>                       float fx=20*action.famount1;
>                       float fy=20*action.famount2;

Quote:2.  caching uses ram.  large pictures use lots of it.  we don't have much.  also, we currently use the cximage library to load stuff up.  some formats we can probably load quicker using xbox native routines, though this will require a moderate amount of code shuffling.  good suggestion.
i looked into the amount of ram remaining, there is obviously much less with mplayer loaded playing an mp3 file, however there seems to be enough to cache pictures of moderate size. in fact, the slideshow currently has both images in memory during the transition, which does break sometimes when memory is low. a memory check could be carried out to see if this was possible, and only pre-cache if enough spare.  this would mean that with no mp3 playing, picture viewing is faster.  imho a nice feature.
one thing i love about the xp slideshow/image viewer is that you can use the left & right arrow keys to go back and view a previous or future image. i note that xbmc doesn't seem to have this, unless i've missed something. i would suggest that you can use the left & right directional pad to go back and forward as somebody always shouts out "go back to that last one, no the one before!"

might also be worth considering a small on-screen transparent button info panel, just reminding you what the buttons all do if you say go left or right or if you use the zoom button etc. i haven't found that i can tell what i am doing by pressing all dem buttons. would be nice perhaps.
thesentinel,
i believe left and right triggers are mapped to this function in keymap.xml, but they seem to have no affect. i agree that it is a very needed function to be able to say 'oh, go back to that one', or more importantly (if you have your slideshow set up around 9 seconds a picture) to say 'oh, better skip this one'.
--jaga

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Improved PICTURE viewing0