read - error (-5, nfs_service failed)
Hi TychoCaine,

Firstly, thank you for your detailed post. It was the closest I could find to my own problem, and I very much hope my suggested solution works for you too.

I am using the most recent version of OpenElec on a Raspberry Pi 2 and streaming files from my home-made server via Samba, running on Ubuntu server version. Between the server and the Raspberry Pi 2 is a gigabit switch. I have been getting the same read errors for several weeks, and tried the following solutions, based on ideas from this and other forums:
1. Powering the Raspberry Pi 2 from the USB port on my TV.
2. Changing the lan cable.
3. Using another port on the switch.
4. Switching to OSMC.
5. Switching back to OpenElec after a few weeks, just in case anything had been updated :-)
6. Switching to NFS
7. Setting up buffering using the advancedsettings.xml file in /storage/.kodi/userdata (this extended the successful play time, but did not remove the problem.)
8. Checking the test files using VLC on my old Dell Studio Hybrid with Windows 7, also via Samba from the server (they played correctly)

For completeness, I should probably have tested Kodi on the WIndows 7 machine, but I skipped that, because the following setting seems to have solved the problem and also seems very plausible to me. I found this looking around some old linux forum posts relating to Samba issues. The fix is to add "keep alive=10" or "keepalive=10" to the [global] section of the Samba smb.conf file (on the server side). The "10" is the number of seconds between keep-alive packets sent from the server to check the client is still awake. In the post I found, the author had set it to 5; I guess this is not critical. I found different suggestions as to the correct syntax, so just included both versions in my smb.conf, the top section of which now looks like this:
#======================= Global Settings =======================

[global]

keep alive=10
keepalive=10

I then ran testparm to check the file, and restarted Samba.

My two test files, a 2GB .VOB file and a 40GB 3D .mkv file both played perfectly all the way through, which has never happened for any file up to now.

As I say, I very much hope this solves your problem too, and would appreciate any feedback.

Kind regards,

RD
Hi, I'm also seeing this same issue, seeing multiple entries of "ERROR: NFS: Failed to mount nfs share: (nfs_service failed)" in the logs.

I'm using Kodi with OSMC on Raspberry Pi and the media is accessed via NFS from Synology NAS. This was all working fine but then I changed the router so NAS IP address changed & OSMC was updated (didn't think to test one-by-one).

First, I tried to edit the library configurations (NFS path IP addresses) using the GUI and configuration XML file but neither approach worked, the UI just hanged after trying to access the NFS shares.

Then I mounted NFS volumes at boot by adding the to /etc/fstab and that actually seems to work - I can browse the files in Kodi UI & via SSH. Yet when I try to play a file from the NFS share, the UI still just hangs. Any ideas what might be the problem there?
Following another thread I found online, the volumes are mounted with options:
nasu:/volume1/videos/ /mnt/videos nfs _netdev,defaults,user,noatime,intr,x-systemd.automount,noauto 0 0
Just wanted to updated in case anyone else has problems.

RD, thanks for your feedback... I did not get a chance to try your solution as I completely wiped my chromebox and reinstalled the newest (6.0.0) release of Open Elec).
Since then it has worked flawlessly with no issues so I believe it's clearly an OpenElec bug of some kind.
If it re-appears in future I will try your suggestion re the "keep alive" variable.

Henrit, I am afraid I can't offer you much help beyond suggesting a wipe and reinstall of your Rasberry Pi/OSMC... I don't know much about OSMC but if it's a port of Kodi or OpenElec then it could easily have the same bug.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
read - error (-5, nfs_service failed)0