PCM multichannel passthrough - some channels mixed up
Hi,

Great! Kodi 15.2 Isengard for Android working perfectly on Amazon FireTV 2nd generation... Almost Wink Surround speaker channels seem to be messed up though for Dolby 7.1/MultiChannel PCM.

Kodi configured 7.1 speakers, Passthrough enabled, AC3 and DTS enabled

DTS 5.1 passthrough seems to work fine (once DTS enabled in settings, otherwise the same problem as below occurs), using the HD DTS master audio sound check file.

Playing the "7.1Ch Dolby TrueHD - Speaker Mapping Test File.mkv"...

Left is OK
Right is OK
Centre sound comes from Left Rear
Left Surround is OK
Right Surround is OK (or was until reset below... - now LFE)
LFE is OK
Left Rear comes from LFE
Right Rear comes from Centre

So there's something weird with the Centre, Left and Right Rear channels on MultiChannel PCM... almost feels like there's a shift in assignment IDs somewhere

I can try to get some debug but I don't really know how I can get to it on FireTV even when enabled?

This is connected via HDMI to Onkyo TXNR636

Dolby Digital 5.1 seems ok too with a 5.1 test file, so maybe this is something that only occurs when 7.1 is required?

FireTV is configured for Dolby Digital Plus over HDMI in settings (auto makes no difference)

Kodi on Raspberry Pi works fine via HDMI with the above test files.

Please let me know what I can do to help fix this as Kodi runs lovely and fast on the FireTV!

Before I sent this I had another play around including powering off the FireTV, and came up with another issue!
When it came back, all I could get was "white noise" from all channels (like completely wrong format being sent)... This seemed to be confirmed when looking at the status of the receiver - it wasn't switching into the required mode (MultiCh/DTS etc).

Clicking "reset the above settings to default" (and reconfiguring passthru, 7.1 channels and enabled AC3/DTS receivers) fixed that particular issue, although the right surround is coming through LFE channel instead now!

Enabling transcoding to DD AC3 with channels set to 2.0 causes the "white noise" issue in this particular setup - I think that option must have somehow got stuck 'on' after reboot and not reset until 'reset to default'.

FYI - if I set to number of channels to 5.1 in audio settings, I get the following

Left is OK
Right is OK
Centre sound comes from Left Rear
Left Surround from LFE
Right Surround from Centre
LFE is OK
Left Rear comes from LFE
Right Rear comes from Centre

Hopefully this may make some sense to someone?! Please let me know what more info I can grab on this.

Kind regards,

Keith
I can now confirm that since FireTV OS 5.0.3 was released this problem has now gone away. Just before this I had also spotted the problem also equally affected Plex too.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
PCM multichannel passthrough - some channels mixed up0