Media Server Software Recommendations for Headless Ubuntu
I am running three Raspberry Pi 2s with Kodi / OSMC and would like to use my headless Ubuntu Trusty server as a back end.

I installed Plex but found that it doesn't seem to support many of my files (my music is in FLAC and video is mostly HD mkvs.

Is there a package (or packages) for Ubuntu that will support everything that Kodi supports? So far Kodi has been able to take everything I've thrown at it.

I want as wide a codec support as possible and my purpose is to be able to search through a massive music and video collection with ease. My server has 16 gigs of RAM which the Pis can not compete with. I am not interested in transcoding and only wish to use the server for streaming files.

Thanks.
If you're not interested in transcoding can you not just share them with SAMBA or NFS?
I'm using NFS so have no problem streaming ATM, but I've got a multi-TB collection across multiple hard drives, in various formats, some well tagged and some not. I had hoped to find a searchable solution. I could create databases and navigate through Kodi with reference to those, but that seems an inelegant solution and won't allow my wife to find and watch a film when I'm not there.
Not sure if it's what you're looking for but I use OpenMediaVault as my backend server. It's a custom headless NAS built on Debian that has some great plugins (such as Plex and Emby server). It's pretty easy to set up, even if you have some media already on existing drives.
Always read the Wiki, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Read/follow the forum rules.
(2015-10-12, 19:38)Dangelus Wrote: Not sure if it's what you're looking for but I use OpenMediaVault as my backend server. It's a custom headless NAS built on Debian that has some great plugins (such as Plex and Emby server). It's pretty easy to set up, even if you have some media already on existing drives.

Not exactly what I'm looking for as I want to use my existing OS (14.04) as the backend. I might see if and how this works as a virtual drive within that environment, but really, I'm looking for server software like Plex that actually supports the many file formats that I use. Thanks.
You can install plex on ubuntu and kodi do see whatever share available (nfs,cifs) as you use raspberypi 2 as clients.
You can mount external shares from your ubuntu also if it make you more happy
Your job will be to rename and so on to make it available in plex and kodi.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Media Server Software Recommendations for Headless Ubuntu0