Enabling "Adjust display refresh rate" screws everything up!
Hi there
I have installed Kodibuntu and its all good except for when I enable "Adjust display refresh to match video" to get smooth playback.
With this enabled I loose DTS-HD and TrueHD bitstreaming, and the aspect ratios of the movies is all wrong.
Im running a basic Intel motherboard, dual core CPU, 4gb ram, and an AMD HD6540 card.

Thanks

Nat.
Have you performed the 'video Calibration' in System Settings? Also, try setting the Vertical Blank setting to 'Always Enabled'.

If you're still having problems then that may happen if you're using HDMI output to a TV (or monitor device, projector, etc.) that's not configured to dynamically accept frame-rate change requests or forcing a frame rate that's not compatible with your AMD GPU or display device. Check your display is properly configured first (for all the video modes you wish to use) and that your display driver is also configured correctly (also for all the video modes you need - I assume you have already downloaded the latest AMD graphics driver for your card). Note that if your display only accept, say, 60Hz refresh, then set your card and Kodi output to 60Hz and disable Adjust Display Refresh to match video ... it will still playback smoothly Smile
Not possible for audio, at least I don't see how.

You're probably losing DTS and TrueHD audio because you have "sync playback to display" turned on, and that has to resample the audio, meaning you shouldn't use that with passthrough.

As far as aspect ratios being wrong, find that hard to believe as well but it's probably because your display only supports certain refresh rates on certain resolutions and not all of them
@Natman: You're most probably loosing HD-Audio because your AMD GPU isn't capable of passing through HD-Audio in 60Hz, when using Linux (drivers). It's an anoying AMD "bug".
You can easily test that, by switching to 50/24Hz in display settings and play a movie with HD-audio.

@LeKodeur: If you set the display and Kodi to 60Hz, it doen't mean you have smooth playback. At least not, if your source material/movies are recorded in another frame rate. You only have smooth playback if input and output refresh rates match.
Upstream bug: https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=75064
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
Hey guys thanks for all your replies.
Ok, so its a bug!
Thanks fritsch Smile
Yeah - but not ours and we cannot fix it :-(
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
Right, so I'm probably better off ditching my amd card and getting nvidia?
Yeah. Go for GT610 or GT 720.
Thanks, will do Smile
Just to let everyone know I bought an Asus GT730 passive low profile card and it all works perfectly now.
I am extremely pleased with my Openelec setup in my Antec Fusion case. The LCD screen on the case works perfectly, Kodi is super smooth and I have it setup looking gorgeous with the Arctic: Zephyr skin. I really couldnt be happier. That and my Samsung Bluray player sitting on the shelf give me everything I need.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Enabling "Adjust display refresh rate" screws everything up!0