|Thinking of moving to a Raspberry Pi from PC - noob questions
OK - I recently recommissioned a old PC, with a new graphics card (old one didn't have HDMI) & a Flirc. I am having issues with the sound. Passthrough works but none of the other options. I think down to EDID settings and so on. I am losing the will to fight it further.

The main reason I wanted to move to Kodi, from my old WDTV setup, was more control over the sound - I like the Volume amplification feature - especially with some of the movies we watch - I was watching Fellowship of the Ring last night and was constantly shifting volume.

My set up is like this at the moment - the HTPC sends the HDMI sound/vision to a HDMI splitter box, that then sends an Optical sound output to my old Sony DVD player that can handle most 5.1 formats (DTS etc) the vision goes to the TV.

If I move to a Raspberry Pi would I be able to get it to send sound out in a decent 5.1 format via the HDMI, regardless of the EDID that is sent without resorting to PassThrough, thereby enabling me to use Volume amplification and other stuff that using Pass Through stops me using?

Many thanks for any help/advice

Eserim
You might want to try (on existing PC):

Number of channels 2.0
Enable Passthrough
Dolby Digital AC3 capable receiver
Enable Dolby Digital (AC3) transcoding

which might do what you want. In theory it decodes the audio (including applying amplification) and then re-encodes to AC3 which will be supported by your splitter/DVD player.

The only question mark is whether files that are already AC3 will avoid the decode/amplification/encode stages. But try that first.
Ta - most, if not all my files are AC3! I'll give it a go, but still tempted fro a Pi - much smaller, neater and quieter.

Would you suggestion enable the "Volume amplification" setting, as with Passthrough enabled, this is disabled?
I've just tested (on a Pi) and it does as you desire.

Receiver reports multichannel dolby digital. Amplification is enabled (and has an efffect on the audio).
Works with both DTS and AC3 as audio formats.
Brill - so the Pi doesn't get bogged down with the EDID coming from the HDMI source?
(2015-10-28, 21:13)Eserim Wrote: Brill - so the Pi doesn't get bogged down with the EDID coming from the HDMI source?

No. Long ago we refused to support audio/3D features not advertised in the EDID, but found more and more users were using config.txt settings to override unreliable EDID information that we now ignore it. If you ask for something in Kodi's GUI that is what we will output.
Ah config.txt, I am learning, that looks like a wonderful thing (even if Kodi ignores EDID) - I wish the PC had such a easy way of getting what you want, rather than what it hinks you want. Many thanks
OK - I thought I was un-confused, then I read this

http://kodi.wiki/view/Raspberry_Pi_FAQ#H...support.3F

"If your recevier does not support multichannel PCM, then leave this at 2.0. You can still get multichannel audio through passthrough."

So, I guess I have to check if my old DVD system can cope with multichannel PCM if I want 5.1 sound - is that correct? Or use Passthrough - which is what I am trying to avoid, and may as well stick to the PC solution. FYI this is the Sony model https://www.sony.co.uk/support/en/product/DAV-S550

Many thanks
Use the settings in my first post. Optical cannot support multichannel PCM, so you need passthough.
However with passthrough and "Enable Dolby Digital (AC3) transcoding" enabled, you can still adjust volume and use amplification.
Thanks - I did try it, but the volume and Volume Amplification options only got enabled when I disabled passthrough.

But, basically, as long as I have my old Sony with an Optical Input, the only way to get the full 5.1 as (or nearly as) in the file is to use Passthrough - regardless of hardware Kodi is running on.

I think I'll start pricing up Recievers - although why these things are so big and still contain radios escapes me.

Cheers

Eserim
(2015-10-29, 17:16)Eserim Wrote: Thanks - I did try it, but the volume and Volume Amplification options only got enabled when I disabled passthrough.

Are you using an Isengard build?
Yes. But using Aeon Skin (MQ6? - at work and can't remember)

Even if these were enabled, what sort of signal will come out of the end of the line? Will it be able to be processed as 5.1?

I'm afraid sound format leave me very baffled.

PS - I'll be offline for several hours now - got to move work location.
(2015-10-29, 17:31)Eserim Wrote: Even if these were enabled, what sort of signal will come out of the end of the line? Will it be able to be processed as 5.1?

The output will be 5.1 AC3.
Cool - I found a excellent thread here somewhere (I'll edit this with link when my phone is powered up again - ling story)

I've just tested this and indeed it seems to work - sound out of all 5 speakers and volume controls activated - it seems counter intuitive - setting Passthrough on, but not actually using it

Many thanks
Alas, spoke too soon, more testing and AC3 files still get sent through on Passthrough - the Amp shows them as Dolby Digital as opposed to PCM (which it shows when I switch pass through off)

So, now I have learnt that PCM channels doesn't equal speakers, any thoughts on the Pi Solution? If I get a Pi would it send 5.1 PCM via the optical link?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
|Thinking of moving to a Raspberry Pi from PC - noob questions0