Most lightweight linux dist for Kodi
I've had issues with the current version of SysLinux used in OE failing to boot properly on older PCs. Wonder if that could also be an issue?
(2015-11-16, 16:41)Prof Yaffle Wrote: MMmm. Beyond my expertise, sadly.

I think you've got an Intel 915G from the codes above: http://ark.intel.com/products/27733/Inte...Controller

... which means it should be supported by OE: https://github.com/OpenELEC/OpenELEC.tv/...package.mk. The fact you can run the 32-bit version supports that conclusion IMO.

Everything you've posted suggests that a 64-bit, Generic OE build should work fine, then.

... so I'm clearly missing something (e.g. whether there is a 64-bit, OpenGL driver for that chipset, or something like that).

The only other thing I can think of is this... if it tries to boot, then goes over to the hard disc, then that suggests that it's never actually entering the boot code off the flash disc. Unless it's rebooting, I've never seen a PC get halfway through a failed boot, give up and try a different device. That suggests that it's never actually getting to boot from flash... it's instead asking it to boot, waiting, timing out and moving to the next device. That in turn suggests a hardware error, or an image error so the device isn't bootable (as opposed to booting but corrupted and dying on the way). I can't even blame driver support at that point, as you're probably not getting that far.

Try a different card, re-burn it with a new download?

Thanks! However, I tried again and it still doesn't work.
I successfully installed Kodibuntu (which has only 64bit support) and everything works great. I still prefer OE becuase it's support, automatic updates and fast boot, but if I'll fail installing it I'll probably stick with Kodibuntu. Sad
I'll probably open a thread in OE forums.

Thanks for your help Smile
(2015-11-16, 17:19)noggin Wrote: I've had issues with the current version of SysLinux used in OE failing to boot properly on older PCs. Wonder if that could also be an issue?

What do you mean? I'm not sure I understood..
Syslinux is the underlying OS in OpenELEC - it's a really skinny Linux that's there just to play host to Kodi. I think the point is that it doesn't always play nicely with older kit, and perhaps the 64-bit stuff shows that up in a different way.

@noggin - that would suggest that it's even getting to the syslinux phase, though, wouldn't it... in which case, why would it them time out after 10-20 seconds and then revert to HDD boot? Unless it's a GRUB issue of some kind? <scratches head>
(2015-11-16, 18:27)Prof Yaffle Wrote: Syslinux is the underlying OS in OpenELEC - it's a really skinny Linux that's there just to play host to Kodi. I think the point is that it doesn't always play nicely with older kit, and perhaps the 64-bit stuff shows that up in a different way.

@noggin - that would suggest that it's even getting to the syslinux phase, though, wouldn't it... in which case, why would it them time out after 10-20 seconds and then revert to HDD boot? Unless it's a GRUB issue of some kind? <scratches head>

syslinux is a bootloader, like GRUB, nothing more. OpenELEC isn't based on any existing/underlying distribution, it's all custom/purpose built.
(2015-11-17, 02:58)Matt Devo Wrote: syslinux is a bootloader, like GRUB, nothing more. OpenELEC isn't based on any existing/underlying distribution, it's all custom/purpose built.

You live and you learn - thanks - I'd assumed it was the JEOS element, the OS wrapper, augmented with BusyBox or similar. Shows you not to jump to conclusions without reading up on things, doesn't it?

I suppose the point still stands, then... if Syslinux is the bootloader, what's it doing that fails, times out, and moves to the next device. And is there an easy way to get a log of that... if nothing goes to console, is there a config file on the flash card that the OP could edit, for example...

Or just give up and stick with Kodibuntu/Arch, but I hate to see a problem unsolved.
(2015-11-17, 12:08)Prof Yaffle Wrote: You live and you learn - thanks - I'd assumed it was the JEOS element, the OS wrapper, augmented with BusyBox or similar. Shows you not to jump to conclusions without reading up on things, doesn't it?

I suppose the point still stands, then... if Syslinux is the bootloader, what's it doing that fails, times out, and moves to the next device. And is there an easy way to get a log of that... if nothing goes to console, is there a config file on the flash card that the OP could edit, for example...

Or just give up and stick with Kodibuntu/Arch, but I hate to see a problem unsolved.

there's no log that I'm aware of unfortunately. I've seen issues with syslinux 6.x as well, and in fact I use 5.10 for the dual boot/USB install of OE in my ChromeBox setup script. OP might try installing OE x64, booting a Linux live USB, and download/force install syslinux 5.10. Could even use my ChromeBox script to create a 64-bit OE install on USB to test out syslinux 5.10 before going thru the effort to manually install

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Most lightweight linux dist for Kodi0