Controller for WeTek Core - Best compact keyboard/mouse alternatives?
I recently got my Wetek Core and have been impressed by it: it's small, quiet and everything seems to work like I want (I mainly use OpenElec). While the remote that comes with the Core is okey, I'd like a controller with keys so that I can use the search features of Kodi quicker. Most people recommend the Logitech K400(+) or the MS Media keyboard (which I use in my NUC setup), but for the Core I need something more compact that can be placed on a small, crowded living room table and that can be lifted with one hand with ease.

Another point... While I'm not expecting this remote can switch the Core on and off (like the included remote does), I need it to as compatible as possible. In other words, I want a controller that works out of the box as much as possible without the need for immediately start remapping the keys or something to that effect.

So what are my choices? Should I look for something like the Rii i8+ (a pad-style controller), Rii k12 (a mini keyboard) or Rii k25 (remote control with keys on the other side)? Which one of these types have you found works the best when you want it to take little space but you don't the keys to go too small (for people with less than perfect eyesight)?

I'd really appreciate suggestions!

EDIT: I see the Rii controllers can have trouble with distance as there will be about 6-10ft (roughly 2-3 metres) to the nearest viewer.
For WeTek Core compatibility you would be better asking Christian Troy over on the WeTek forums about this as it will cut through the bullshit and you will get the correct facts, straight from the source:

http://wetekforums.com/vb5/forum/wetek-c...s-keyboard

I also like the Rii Mini i13 if you need the ability to control other IR devices too, all from the same remote. This is the big plus of the i13, that it is also an IR learning remote which can control up to 8 devices (without the expense of a Harmony or similar) but also has a fly/gyro/wireless mouse and keyboard on the other side.

Yes the Rii i13 also seems to have limited range. Well, not so much limited but you seem to need to point it more directly at the receiving device. But I have no problem across several metres in my lounge.

I wanted a small standard remote style, learning functionality, and mouse/keyboard on the other side, at not too great a cost, and this was one of the few that I could find that fit this criteria.

Just one question. How many of the Wetek Core remote buttons are IR, and how many are wireless? If it's limited (ie: just power on/off) then then this rules out an IR learning remote, since there will be nothing to learn from. Does the Core also support other IR profiles? For example I think the Minix models also have a Harmony IR profile built in to the firmware.

This could be a factor to consider too.

Here are a few links if the Rii i13 might be useful for you:

http://www.riitek.com/goods/detail/50.htm
http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=...pid1487058
http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=...pid1549115
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge please click the 'Thumb Up - Like' button to show me your appreciation :)
For YouTube questions see the official thread here.
I know IR is just for Power On/OFF on the Core only. That is it. The remote control is 99% Wireless.

See the linked thread I've posted.

Thanks for the clarification Nod I think this can be a plus or a minus depending on what your setup at home is since these all wireless remotes can make it more difficult to integrate into an existing system.

As I mentioned, if I understand correctly Minix also include a Harmony remote profile in the firmware that the built in IR will respond to, even if the remote they supply with the box is mostly wireless based.

Do you know if Wetek do that too? It might be something useful that they can add to the firmware in the future.

I saw the link thanks Smile but it didn't seem to answer any specific questions. Maybe Ill repost there.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge please click the 'Thumb Up - Like' button to show me your appreciation :)
For YouTube questions see the official thread here.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Controller for WeTek Core - Best compact keyboard/mouse alternatives?0