Replace librtmp dependancy with ffmpeg's native rtmp source.
Librtmp has no central active support, no stable releases, and is currently barely maintained by patches from various sources. There's a long history on this forum of requests for different versions of librtmp to be distributed with Kodi binaries.

It can be replaced as ffmpeg has full featured native support for the rtmp suite, including live streaming and encryption.

(Possibly just one of many dependancies that can be pruned...)
Nice! didn't know ffmpeg has native support for RTMP!
Reason it was not done: Those shitty piracy sites out there that needs special patched rtmp.so / rtmp.dll in order to work correctly :-)

If it was about me: I would directly do that - but people will start whining and screaming ...
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
Sounds like more of a reason to do it to me.

We've got plenty of room in the trash section for whining and screaming threads...
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts
(2015-12-14, 16:15)barberio Wrote: Librtmp has no central active support, no stable releases, and is currently barely maintained by patches from various sources. There's a long history on this forum of requests for different versions of librtmp to be distributed with Kodi binaries.

It can be replaced as ffmpeg has full featured native support for the rtmp suite, including live streaming and encryption.

What would be the pros and cons to changing?
(2015-12-14, 19:04)freddy12 Wrote:
(2015-12-14, 16:15)barberio Wrote: Librtmp has no central active support, no stable releases, and is currently barely maintained by patches from various sources. There's a long history on this forum of requests for different versions of librtmp to be distributed with Kodi binaries.

What would be the pros and cons to changing?
Pro:
An actual supported upstream library that has regular releases that might improve things.
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
MrMC fork completely remove rtmp support. I've never seen a ligament use for it except to support those shitty piracy sites Smile
MrMC Forums : http://forum.mrmc.tv
I believe the iplayer add-on uses rtmp.
It is an audio/video streaming protocol that is widely used for legitimate video streaming (e.g. flash video uses it).

The hacked versions of librtmp are generally for spoofing user agents to play content from legitimate sites (although without using the expected web based player), rather than being piracy related.
Back when the Hulu add-on worked, it relied on libRTMP. Basically using the flash video streams that Hulu had for legacy devices and couldn't turn off at the time. I believe the same for the Amazon Prime Video add-on.

There are a few examples of pirate-based add-ons also using libRTMP, but that's kind of rare. I'm guessing there are some video hosts that still have flashplayers, and those are being used, but most of those add-ons use file locker sites (http). Personally, I wouldn't group the two together anymore than any other protocol.
There are plenty of legitimate uses for the Real Time Messaging Protocol... its like arguing codecs shouldn't be supported because pirates use them too... silly
Image Lunatixz - Kodi / Beta repository
Image PseudoTV - Forum | Website | Youtube | Help?
(2015-12-14, 19:06)MrMC Wrote: MrMC fork completely remove rtmp support. I've never seen a ligament use for it except to support those shitty piracy sites Smile

That's a pretty silly statement.
I can tell you with 100% certainty that there are many legitimate US OTA and cable network websites (Turner and CBS come to mind) that use rtmp, nearly all offer it as a stream option, several prefer it.
I think some should review the terms of service of those mentioned websites.
MrMC Forums : http://forum.mrmc.tv
MrMC is something different, as it anyway has no addon support, thus rtmp makes no sense to them.

Bringing TOS in the picture is a can of worms.
Pretty sure even the plain youtube addon is breaking them, but it's no piracy.

P.S. If we go that route, even subtitles are a copyright violation.
BTW, I've always heard that the apple stores were incompatible with GPL. Has something changed so that MrMC could go in?
(2015-12-15, 04:34)Lunatixz Wrote: There are plenty of legitimate uses for the Real Time Messaging Protocol... its like arguing codecs shouldn't be supported because pirates use them too... silly

Well if you read correctly the first post, the big point is that ffmpeg does support it, so the question is not if rtmp is good to something, but does the standard use of rtmp works with ffmpeg.

In the end people that patch rtmp will patch ffmpeg for the same purpose so there's no global impact only to remove a dependency and use ffmpeg that is already used a lot.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Replace librtmp dependancy with ffmpeg's native rtmp source.0