Linux Can't Esc into Raspbian cmd line from Kodi
I'm trying to get to the command line of my Pi by exiting and rebooting Kodi, then pressing the Esc key when prompted. But the cmd prompt just bypasses the login prompt and goes back into Kodi. Kodi version from the settings screen is "Compiled: Feb 2 2015". I think my problems started after Kodi might have updated.

I have my Pi setup to auto boot back into Kodi whenever it crashes or the system reboots/exits Kodi.

Here's the error when I hit Esc and the cmd prompt login appears:

Code:
Raspbian GNU/Linux 7 raspbmc tty2
raspbmc login: init: kodi pre-stop process (1121) terminated with status 143
init: kodi main process (379) killed by TERM signal
init: console-setup pre-start process (1152) terminated with status 1
rpcbind: rpcbind termianting on signal. Restart with "rpcbind -w"

As you can see, it gives me the login prompt but then just keeps going. From there it just boots back into Kodi/Rasbmc.

No idea where to start here as I don't know how to access a darn thing without the command prompt. Any help would be appreciated.
It sounds as if you've engineered your own destruction.
Normally if you exit Kodi, then you will be able to login after pressing ESC - but, if you've set it to boot automatically when you exit Kodi, you've killed that opportunity.
Derek
(2015-12-28, 09:08)dandnsmith Wrote: It sounds as if you've engineered your own destruction.
Normally if you exit Kodi, then you will be able to login after pressing ESC - but, if you've set it to boot automatically when you exit Kodi, you've killed that opportunity.

FWIW, it wasn't always like this. I came back from vacation a couple weeks ago and it's been doing this. Not sure what happened -- possible system update on either Kodi or Raspbian?
Raspbian? Your log snippet seems to indicate you are still running Raspbmc which was deprecated and replaced with OSMC almost a year ago.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Can't Esc into Raspbian cmd line from Kodi0