Should I buy 2GB Ram/16GB Internal S905
(2016-01-03, 20:48)trogggy Wrote: If a device runs kodi well and costs $130 and has good support from the manufacturer why does it matter that the hardware dates from 6 months ago rather than last Tuesday?

Because As i mentioned earlier at a $130 price range i shouldn't have to be content with outdated hardware just because it has good support...it needs to have both. When we pay premium we expect a degree of future-proofness not something that is outdated on release. We expect the same from every other piece of electronics we pay top dollar for not sure why when it comes to stream box i'd have to be content with just a good customer service.
(2016-01-03, 21:04)XperImenT Wrote:
(2016-01-03, 20:48)trogggy Wrote: If a device runs kodi well and costs $130 and has good support from the manufacturer why does it matter that the hardware dates from 6 months ago rather than last Tuesday?

Because As i mentioned earlier at a $130 price range i shouldn't have to be content with outdated hardware just because it has good support...it needs to have both. When we pay premium we expect a degree of future-proofness not something that is outdated on release. We expect the same from every other piece of electronics we pay top dollar for not sure why when it comes to stream box i'd have to be content with just a good customer service.

The reality is not as you'd wish. This is not a high volume enterprise like other consumer electronics. (And I suspect any volume that there is is partially driven by illegal, copyright infringing add ons that are little more than new ways of stealing, and usually a selling point of poor quality, badly supported boxes)
It doesn't need to have both. It's obviously not for you, that's all.

You can spend less, and spend your time fixing bugs - or spend more and have better hardware.

And frankly $130 is still peanuts for what you get. Just because a Chinese factory is banging out unsupported boxes for a lot less doesn't make that an unreasonable price-point for a supported media player. You're not comparing like with like.

But it's a functionality issue at the end of the day. The functionality of older hardware - with decent software - can achieve excellent results. The functionality of newer hardware - with poorer software - will not achieve the same results.

If you want decent results, you end up paying more. If you want poorer results, you can pay less. Sure, you may get shinier hardware for less, but without the support and decent quality software/firmware running on it, what's the point?

It's like buying a Quad Core 2GB RockChip based device. Sure it will be fast on certain tests, and with the right Android builds it might just post some amazing benchmarks. But a Raspberry Pi 2 may well run Kodi better and give you a better experience... Support is key (and needs people, who aren't cheap)
(2016-01-03, 21:08)noggin Wrote:

The reality is not as you'd wish. This is not a high volume enterprise like other consumer electronics. (And I suspect any volume that there is is partially driven by illegal, copyright infringing add ons that are little more than new ways of stealing)

I completely agree with you..this is a small market and we are at the mercy of whatever these small Chinese manufactures decide to put in a box for us...I was just irritated by the notion that i should be happy with outdated hardware and pay $130 just because some guy returns my email if i have a problem. I'll end my venting Tongue
(2016-01-03, 21:21)XperImenT Wrote:
(2016-01-03, 21:08)noggin Wrote:
(2016-01-03, 21:04)XperImenT Wrote: Because As i mentioned earlier at a $130 price range i shouldn't have to be content with outdated hardware just because it has good support...it needs to have both. When we pay premium we expect a degree of future-proofness not something that is outdated on release. We expect the same from every other piece of electronics we pay top dollar for not sure why when it comes to stream box i'd have to be content with just a good customer service.

The reality is not as you'd wish. This is not a high volume enterprise like other consumer electronics. (And I suspect any volume that there is is partially driven by illegal, copyright infringing add ons that are little more than new ways of stealing)

I completely agree with you..this is a small market and we are at the mercy of whatever these small Chinese manufactures decide to put in a box for us...I was just irritated by the notion that i should be happy with outdated hardware and pay $130 just because some guy returns my email if i have a problem. I'll end my venting Tongue

You're misunderstanding what we mean by 'support'. We're not talking about customer support, i.e. email responses to problems, we're talking about continued platform support, i.e. manufacturers continuing to develop and support their platform once they've sold it to you (and can no longer get extra money from you)
(2016-01-03, 21:20)noggin Wrote:

But it's a functionality issue at the end of the day. The functionality of older hardware - with decent software - can achieve excellent results. The functionality of newer hardware - with poorer software - will not achieve the same results.

This is similar argument that has existed between iphone and android phones...iphone users always justified pay top dollar for very rudimentary hardware specs because the user experience has been smooth enough and apple has great customer service etc...Android users have argued that when you pay top notch money, you should have both great hardware and great software, you shouldn't have to compromise ....I guess this is just a fundamental difference of opinion.
No, it isn't. You can spend as much on Android.
It's more analogous to the argument between buyers of mainstream android phones and those buying android from no-name chinese manufacturers, usually via Chinese websites. There are bargains to be had - if you like to tinker.
The phone market being orders of magnitude bigger than that for kodi boxes there are Chinese manufacturers who do produce good quality, pretty well supported stuff (Xiaomi, for example). And that's reflected in the price.
Except with Android OEMs like Samsung etc. , you do have email, phone and , most importantly , a FORUM . As support, with these Chinese no-name crap, you have nothing . Google "MXiii 4k" , and tell me what support forum they have. Nada, zero.

So no, the comparison between Apple and (big) Android OEMs isn`t valid here. And Android OEMs do update their software on the high-end phones (S4 is running Lollipop, and last i heard they were planning to update it to 6.0 , and that`s a pretty old phone). Good look ever seeing a software update on many of these no-name Chinese crap.

Yes, the Wetek is kinda overpriced compared to the specs, but it`s a hell-of-a-lot better than buying those no-name boxes, and the next bext thing which includes everything (powerfull SoC, good support, software updates etc.) is the Nvidia SHIELD, which goes for 190$, at least in the Android \ ARM world.
(2016-01-03, 21:34)trogggy Wrote: No, it isn't. You can spend as much on Android.

Yeah you can spend as much on Android but you can be sure to get massively better hardware specs than you would get on iPhone for the same $$$...which is my point.... you guys keep framing it as its either poor hardware + good software or good hardware +poor software,....why are we stuck with 1995 options in 2016? Dunno why we are defending companies that are clearly short changing on very rudimentary demands...

WeTeK couldn't put S905 and provide support after selling it? it can only provide support if it sells S812 chips? lol Support can come regardless of what hardware you have put it in. They went with the cheaper option and the option that would require less post-purchase support as its more established ...this is not something worth defending.
The only person framing it that way is you.

You can have great (latest / fastest / bestest) hardware and great support.
You can't have it for $130.
(2016-01-03, 21:20)noggin Wrote: But it's a functionality issue at the end of the day. The functionality of older hardware - with decent software - can achieve excellent results. The functionality of newer hardware - with poorer software - will not achieve the same results.

^^

(2016-01-03, 21:47)trogggy Wrote: The only person framing it that way is you.

You can have great (latest / fastest / bestest) hardware and great support.
You can't have it for $130.

Don't think I'm the one framing it that way...I'm the one that keeps saying we should have both while I'm being told who cares about hardware if software is decent or that its better to have good software with older hardware than new hardware with old software as if its a either or option.

if with $190 I can have a device from a reputable company that has basically specs of a laptop, then my $130 device shouldn't look like my 2012 phone. The Hardware difference and the difference in reputability of the manufacturer is well beyond $60
Seriously - don't buy it.

How hard is that?
(2016-01-03, 22:04)trogggy Wrote: Seriously - don't buy it.

How hard is that?

Seems like the purpose of discussion forums evades you.
I'm discussing why i think WeTeK Core is an overpriced item.
Since you edited your post in such a way that it looks as though I was agreeing with you...

Yep. By comparing it to something that isn't comparable. I get it.
What I don't get is why you're not comparing the kodi experiences on the different boxes.
Whatever you buy will be 'out of date' in 5 minutes.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Should I buy 2GB Ram/16GB Internal S9050