Bug Kodi still not able to stay on secondary monitor (playing video)
Hi there,
I know this has been an issue for years now and I can't believe it still is...

I'd like to have Kodi run fullscreen on my secondary monitor, which is connected via HDMI to a beamer. I'd also like to switch between window and fullscreen mode . But only on the secondary screen. Once I put there, it should stay there. Is that too much to ask? It seems so.

The switching (backslash key on Windows) between fullscreen and window mode always results in a sort of stopover at the primary monitor. And it only happens in video playback mode.

for example:
I start Kodi. It appears on the primary monitor (by default. No way to change that either) in window mode. I can live with that.
I drag Kodi to my secondary monitor. I start a video. I hit backslash. Now Kodi is fullscreen on the primary monitor. Hit backslash again. Kodi is in window mode on primary monitor. Hit backslash again. Kodi is in fullscreen mode on secondary monitor. Hit backslash again. Kodi is in window mode on secondary monitor. Hit backslash again. Kodi is in fullscreen mode on primary monitor. And so forth.

If no video is playing, behaviour is as expected. Switching between fullscreen and window mode happens on the secondary monitor.

Settings->System->Video-Hardware->Use Fullsceen window is on
Switching that to off (using real fullscreen) makes things even worse. Don't want to go into detail here.

Anyone to confirm this behaviour?

Thanks,
novalis
Given that Kodi was never designed to be a multi-tasking media player, most devs would say "simple solution" buy another computer. With that said many (myself included are happy with the result you wish but don;t seem to get).

Quote:Is that too much to ask? It seems so.
it's all in the hardware, and how that hardware handles the software, you can't expect the developers to code for every variation and configuration. Sometimes it's just luck of the draw, but it looks like your system does handle it in sort of a broken way. I'll mention that the order of how things are launched is a big stumbling block for a lot of users. First you get your extended screen running (hopefully it's the same rs, but doesn't necessarily have to be, just makes the set-up easier). Then launch Kodi in windowed mode, drag it into the secondary screen, hit backslash and it should open a full screen on the secondary. Next time you run Kodi, if the secondary screen is opened, it will launch right back to the secondary. But if you close the secondary screen prior to closing Kodi and it jumps back to primary.... you need to start the procedure all over again.

If this doesn't work for you (or perhaps you have an AVR in between, then things get more complicated) You might have to look at a script that opens on the secondary while closing out the primary, and on shutdown jumps back to primary.

Another option is to set up a configuration with your graphic card, (some gfx cards have a hot key to swap primary to secondary & reverse ), last but not least is to make your primary screen the TV and the secondary your monitor, and try some of the stuff above.

Cutting the HDMI signal usually disrupts the HDCP handshaking, and will result in issues, then the pin 19 trick Displays (wiki)

I should mention that my Onkyo AVR does this switching for me auto magically.. no hands.
Hi Pat, thanks for your answer,

(2016-01-07, 02:53)PatK Wrote: Given that Kodi was never designed to be a multi-tasking media player, most devs would say "simple solution" buy another computer. With that said many (myself included are happy with the result you wish but don;t seem to get).

Yeah well time goes by and while it was originally maybe not designed for this or that, look at it now. It's an astonishing piece of software with a lot of functions and possibilities. In my case I would not speak of multi-tasking, I think my problem has nothing to do with multi tasking....more multi screen Wink

(2016-01-07, 02:53)PatK Wrote:
Quote:Is that too much to ask? It seems so.
it's all in the hardware, and how that hardware handles the software, you can't expect the developers to code for every variation and configuration.

Certainly I do not expect that. I would expect a normal behaviour on a standard configuration, given that a secondary monitor is included. So if this happens only on my machine, and nobody else had the problem, I wouldn't expect any developper to look into it and I wouldn't call it bug. That's what I'm trying to find out by posting here. If it's a general behaviour and devs won't address it, fair enough.

(2016-01-07, 02:53)PatK Wrote: First you get your extended screen running (hopefully it's the same rs, but doesn't necessarily have to be, just makes the set-up easier). Then launch Kodi in windowed mode, drag it into the secondary screen, hit backslash and it should open a full screen on the secondary. Next time you run Kodi, if the secondary screen is opened, it will launch right back to the secondary. But if you close the secondary screen prior to closing Kodi and it jumps back to primary.... you need to start the procedure all over again.

I'm not sure what you mean by 'get your extended sreen running' and 'same rs', but my setup is all complete. I use a Nvidia GTX 970 and everything is up and running once I start Kodi. I actually don't setup my secondary screen (except inital setup of course), it's part of the configuration and as soon or as long as the computer is on, the screen is on too.
And here is the first thing I don' t believe is 'all hardware': if I quit Kodi on second screen in fullscreen it will appear there as it was after restart. If I quit Kodi in window mode it will reappear on the primary screen as window. You think this is because of my setup/hardware or more likely a general behaviour?

(2016-01-07, 02:53)PatK Wrote: If this doesn't work for you (or perhaps you have an AVR in between, then things get more complicated) You might have to look at a script that opens on the secondary while closing out the primary, and on shutdown jumps back to primary.
Another option is to set up a configuration with your graphic card, (some gfx cards have a hot key to swap primary to secondary & reverse ), last but not least is to make your primary screen the TV and the secondary your monitor, and try some of the stuff above.
Cutting the HDMI signal usually disrupts the HDCP handshaking, and will result in issues, then the pin 19 trick Displays (wiki)
I should mention that my Onkyo AVR does this switching for me auto magically.. no hands.

I have no fancy setup, no avr or anything, just a standard computer with two screens, quite usual nowadays I think. And I don't disrupt anything or change anything on the screen or the signal. The behaviour is straight forward as I described it. Please remember, this only happens if I play a video. And I can reproduce the same behaviour on a third screen if I connect it. So if I'm the only one who looks at this, I would like to confirm that.

Novalis
Quote:I think my problem has nothing to do with multi tasking....more multi screen
and the second screen open is for? That's what is called multi-tasking... doing more than one thing at a time. Windowed mode works perfectly with your set-up even if Kodi was never designed for that.. Want to watch movies in full screen on the secondary while cursing the web, that's multi-tasking Smile

Look managing users expectations for something as complex as Kodi can be a nightmare, it's not like there is a term of 168 developers, paid great wages to solve every aspect that comes around for the multiple platforms that Kodi is launched. The forum helps users with issues (not to say your issue isn't genuine) getting the software working for their platform and offers work-a-arounds that might be the solve, or points the finder in the correct direction. This feature of multiple screens is something the base o/s should be doing properly without a hitch, and your complaint should be taken to MicroSoft developers, not the few unsung hard working coders behind Kodi. Want a better product, get your hands dirty.

Quote:not sure what you mean by 'get your extended sreen running' and 'same rs'
Both displays need to be up and functioning in extended screen mode prior to Kodi launch (and the preference is both the same resolution 'sorry for the keyboard slip, but I'm eating butterfingers a lot lately' Smile )

Quote:if I quit Kodi on second screen in fullscreen it will appear there as it was after restart. If I quit Kodi in window mode it will reappear on the primary screen as window. You think this is because of my setup/hardware or more likely a general behaviour?
Expected behaviour Kodi remembers it's position, in the first instance, in the windowed mode Kodi leaves the o/s to determine the default, and again that's the question for the MicroSoft team. The Kodi developers have answered this issue in the past many times (google might be able to search the Kodi forum easier) and I've talked about this a few times, a search will bring a plethora of messages.

The whole project is work of a few dedicated programmers and artists that overtime have build what is Kodi to-day and for no pay. I'm just like you 'just a user' with a typical set-up, I contribute what I can when I can. For this project to continue to succeed, more help is needed. If you feel this area deserves more attention, put your needs in the form of a request and submit it to the 'feature Request' area of the forum. But in general the devs will come back with 'buy another box'.
(2016-01-07, 17:51)PatK Wrote: Look managing users expectations for something as complex as Kodi can be a nightmare, it's not like there is a term of 168 developers, paid great wages to solve every aspect that comes around for the multiple platforms that Kodi is launched.

I think you misunderstand me. I don't want anybody to meet my expectations. Actually I'm trying to help here, because I like Kodi and have been using it for many years now.
I try to figure out if this is a general problem and if yes then whether it can be easily resolved to make Kodi a better product and more consistent. I mean, it's not that Kodi is not working, it's just about consistency. Don't you want that for your product. I don't know who to blame for it. It's not a big thing though, set some flags, check them, ready. My feelings are that with a little interest that could be done. Maybe I'm wrong. Or maybe it's not in general interest because nobody uses a secondary screen. Thats ok then.

And just as a reminder, the main problem is that Kodi hopps around when switching window modes and does that only if playing a video. And I don't think that's on Microsoft.
Quote:that for your product
it's all our product... you must be nibbling on butterfingers too Smile
Quote: And I don't think that's on Microsoft.
I point at them, deficiencies in the base o/s, otherwise don't include multi-screens. Kodi never fundamentally worked on all platforms across multiple screens, perhaps you should investigate Linux, or Mac or Android and see where Kodi stands? Get another box or an AVR is just a suggestion, I don't think in what I said there is anything inconstant other than to suggest your observations are not Kodi oriented. You want multi-tasking, there are better o/s for that behaviour.

Perhaps a review: http://kodi.tv/about/
why not just set kodi to full screen on screen #2, and be done with it? You still have your primary monitor for other tasks.
I have 2 dual monitor setups running kodi. kodi is set to open on 2nd screen on both systems, and that's what it does everytime. I can even turn off the monitor with kodi running and it stays on the secondary monitor. I can recreate your "problem" but not sure what your trying to accomplish switching between full screen and window while video is playing though.
(2016-01-08, 05:17)MaDef Wrote: I can recreate your "problem" but not sure what your trying to accomplish switching between full screen and window while video is playing though.

It's a bug. All I'm saying is that it would be nice if this bug would be fixed.

Believe me I need switching between fullscreen and window all the time, it's just the way I work.
e.g. ad break, mute, window mode, film continues, unmute, fullscreen.

Thanks for confirming.
(2016-01-07, 21:34)PatK Wrote: I don't think in what I said there is anything inconstant other than to suggest your observations are not Kodi oriented. You want multi-tasking, there are better o/s for that behaviour.

I was not talking about you. Pat, I think you don't get it. It's all about Kodi.
(2016-01-12, 16:04)_novalis Wrote:
(2016-01-08, 05:17)MaDef Wrote: I can recreate your "problem" but not sure what your trying to accomplish switching between full screen and window while video is playing though.

It's a bug. All I'm saying is that it would be nice if this bug would be fixed.

Believe me I need switching between fullscreen and window all the time, it's just the way I work.
e.g. ad break, mute, window mode, film continues, unmute, fullscreen.

Thanks for confirming.

I think you should be complaining to Microsoft, because what you really want is a setting to lock a program to a display.

You might be able to do just that with a third party program, like DisplayFusion.
(2016-01-12, 17:17)Qtrmeg Wrote: I think you should be complaining to Microsoft, because what you really want is a setting to lock a program to a display.

You might be able to do just that with a third party program, like DisplayFusion.

No I don't want to lock something, I just want the standard behaviour of a window if I switch between fullscreen and window mode. Lets say Windows Media Player or Cyberlink Powerdvd or MPC etc. They all do this right. Kodi jumps between screens and that is not OK.
I don't think there's a bug with anything?
Have you pressed the windows + P keys, set to pc screen only or extend?
Taskbar properties, show taskbar on all displays or only the main display.
You don't want a taskbar on your Kodi display.
The setting is at the bottom in the Multiple Displays section.
HOW TO - Kodi 2D - 3D - UHD (4k) HDR Guide Internal & External Players iso menus
DIY HOME THEATER WIND EFFECT

W11 Pro 24H2 MPC-BE\HC madVR KODI 22 GTX960-4GB/RGB 4:4:4/Desktop 60Hz 8bit Video Matched Refresh rates 23,24,50,60Hz 8/10/12bit/Samsung 82" Q90R Denon S720W
(2016-01-12, 20:17)brazen1 Wrote: I don't think there's a bug with anything?
Have you pressed the windows + P keys, set to pc screen only or extend?
Taskbar properties, show taskbar on all displays or only the main display.
You don't want a taskbar on your Kodi display.
The setting is at the bottom in the Multiple Displays section.

Kodi is running on the secondary (extended) screen. No Taskbars or anything.
It is a bug, because the behaviour only occurs if playing a video.
I want to thank author of this thread. He has been able to describe multy display issue in a perfect way.
I use two monitors and my experience perfectly match with his description.

Hope soon it will be solved.
Quote:I just want the standard behaviour of a window if I switch between fullscreen and window mode

Full Screen is NOT a window, it's a screen and don't expect it to behave as a window. Use full size windowed mode if you want windows.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi still not able to stay on secondary monitor (playing video)1