Sharing folders on Windows 10
Hi all,

I had Kodi running on my RasPi2 when I still had Windows 7. It was a bit of a struggle, but finally it worked out. I don't have a NAS or other devices, I just want to share 2 folders on my laptop (films and series) so these 2 could are available to access and play files on Kodi on my RasPi2. I remember the 'trick' what did it, was that I had to make another account on my Windows computer, and give that account access when I set up the sharing options for the folders. Then I could log in to my SMB WORKGROUP via that users and add my 2 loving folders to the menus.

Now my laptop is 'upgraded' to Windows 10 and of course the whole set-up went to shit. I don't know if the paths are changed, or it's because of some new network features, but I cant get any access to my folders. The option of creating a new user is also not available on Windows 10, you need to add a real Mircosoft account etc. I can select the SMB and WORKGROUP but no matter what I try, there's no way of getting into my network on Kodi.

Is there someone who can help me or is there a good tutorial how I can add these files again?
Thanks!
Just goes to show that you should let good enough alone!
Did you make a system backup before you "upgraded "your laptop?
If you did now is the time to restore thta backup on your laptop and get back to working conditions again.
Bo Berglund
Sweden
I didn't backup. There's nothing important on my laptop, and the rest is freeware, so I thought I didn't need it.
There must be a solution with Windows 10 right?
Probably, but M$ can be changing how it is done at their discretion....
You might want to check in a Windows(10) forum.
I will not move past Win7 myself. In the end if they shut down W7 updates I will move to Linux.
Bo Berglund
Sweden
Potted version. Hopefully there are detailed walkthroughs to be found in Google Land.

"Choose Homegroup and Sharing Options" and then "Change Advanced Sharing Settings" (from Control Panel). Turn Network Discovery and File Sharing On under "Private". Click on "turn on sharing so anyone with network access..." under "All Networks".

In the file-manager of your choice, right-click on the folder you want to share. Properties, Sharing, Advanced Sharing, Share This Folder, Permissions, Everyone.

And make sure homegroup file sharing is not turned on. Edit: I did the above really quickly. Don't hold any mistakes against me.
(2016-01-17, 19:21)Joeneunited Wrote: The option of creating a new user is also not available on Windows 10, you need to add a real Mircosoft account etc

you can create local accounts in windows 10.i done this because i dont like the idea who my whole computer being on the cloud for security reasons.
when adding a user to your computer at the bottom select Add user without microsoft account which is at the bottom..

sorry thought id let you know incase you wanted to change all your accounts to local.

then do what you done with windows 7 with your settings to windows 10 to get your folders shared to kodi

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Sharing folders on Windows 100