Different OS for each device?
So… I have Kodi (XBMC) installed perfectly on my computer and on a flash drive, but when I try to plug the flash drive into my TV. It doesn't show any Kodi or Isengard files on the USB. My PC is running windows 10, I believe my (Samsung H series) TV is running Linux. Do I need to create another bootable USB flash drive for Linux as well as the one that I have for windows? Or am I doing something wrong on the TV portion? Thanks in advance, any help is appreciated.
Are you talking about media files or the actual kodi application? Cause chances are slim that kodi will run on your TV.
Media files yes, applications not a chance buddy.
Thanks for replying. Not sure I guess. My buddy has it on a flash drive. He never showed me anything about it. We just watched a couple movies. Awesome by the way.
So I can put media files (movies, music, photos) but not the actual xbmc menu where the settings are, and you add channels and things?
Do I transfer the media files from my xbmc on my desktop to my flash drive, then play that on my tv?
I cannot think how you "buddy" ran an OS off a USB flash drive hooked up to a TV. It doesnt work like that. You sure he wasnt maybe doing things on his phone and using chromecast, or an HDMI android stick?
He was using an Amazon fire stick. I've seen them for sale with Kodi already installed in them. I'm just not sure if I trust that are not though.
Sorry if that made me sound like an idiot… I thought I had asked that in my other question earlier.
So will it work with a fire stick, chrome cast stick, AppleTV? If so, do I just followed a set up like I did for the computer or which operating system installer what I use on the download page?
Kodi will work on different devices. It will of course work on a Fire Stick as well as on an AppleTV. As it sounds you are a beginner (no offense), I wouldn't recommend both of them. I would recommend to use OpenELEC and if you want to buy something, get a Raspberry Pi2. Then you are able to install Openelec on a SD Card, plug that card to the RPI, connect the Pi to your TV and you are done.

AFAIK, the installation on a FireTV stick and on the ATV (AppleTV) is a bit more complicated and for OpenELEC there is a very good wiki, which explains the installation step-by-step. Here the guide for the RPI:

http://wiki.openelec.tv/index.php/Raspberry_Pi

And the guide for some other devices (even the AppleTV):

http://wiki.openelec.tv/index.php/Installation

In the case, you don't know....OpenELEC is a very lightweight linux distro prepared to run Kodi on it. Installation and updating is done easily. So you don´t have to fiddle around to get the OS working on some other devices, before you are able to install Kodi.

You can download OpenELEC on the following link. And the devices on that site, are the only one which are supported:

http://openelec.tv/get-openelec

Hope it helps a bit

Greetings
David
The fundamental thing to realise is that a firetv is a computer, a flash drive isn't
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Different OS for each device?0