HDMI Audio Grief
AMD, as with most MS OEM partners/tech-associated companies main marketing focus is marketing for profit (Nvidia, Intel, etc).
Every MS OS iteration/update they've ceased/limited software support, introduce updates with the purpose of removing/limiting previous functions/options, or apply restrictions on H/W to specific software. Consumers shell-out for H/W to perform somewhat the same task/s, which pre-changes, worked 'but-meh' Confused

(IIR(-ead)C, there's a web post on Microsoft in the midst of deciding whether to drop & only support Intel's up-coming SKYLAKE CPU line-up, by restricting instruction set, MS Win 10 OS will only work with new CPU's) (TL;DR, bout 2/3rd's down on pg)

Legacy support: According to the AMD's driver support website, there are no new drivers for: HD 2/3/4xxx series for Win 10. The cards are in the legacy support life-cycle, cited as having reached their peak performance optimization (October 15, 2013).

TS: Nav to computer ('This PC' in file explorer window) top-left menu>computer>right-side-bottom (manage)
In the Computer Management console pop-up>the left dialogue box>click device manager>audio output
Is there a yellow/red "!" flag? (unknown device detected, but has issues with either driver/communication or IRQL resources, RED-disabled device) Is there AMD High Definition Audio device present/greyed out or not there (system was unable to detect H/W or has fault with device driver-system disabled to prevent IRQL resource conflicts)

Suggestion:

Uninstall previous AMD Control center/drivers/etc (remove everything AMD related/uninstall-delete ATI driver/s software) and restart the computer.

i.e. Delete check box:

Install the Win 8 AMD legacy driver (Legacy driver)
(File linked is roughly 150 MB)

CCC: If you have issues installing>right click file to install in compatibility mode:
(Right click on file and select TROUBLESHOOT compatibility>TROUBLESHOOT program,>the program worked in EARLIER VERSIONS,>select Windows 8,>complete COMPATIBILITY mode).
This should hopefully provide the CCC panel.

Driver: Nav to device manager and check if driver has installed, alternatively if manual install of driver/s is required:
(Display adapters>double click on ATI display driver>driver tab>select update driver,>select 'browse my computer' for driver,>select 'Let me pick from list'>click on have disk, browse to your driver directory,>select the FOLDER W8_inf, this will install the legacy driver correctly, and give you full functionality of the Legacy driver.

The driver nominally extracts to: C:\AMD\AMD_Catalyst_13.xx_Legacy_Beta_Vista_Win7_Win8\Packages\Drivers\Display
(Or to your chosen directory)

Misc:
The only other thing I suggest to TS per your OP (previous HDMI issues, resolved by unplug/plugging the HDMI cable, laptop side) is physical H/W. (TV, HDMI cable, laptop, other additional connected H/W, etc.)

If possible perform an isolation test and independently eliminate each H/W piece for problems.

Additionally, HDMI ports on the laptop:

a) Dust/dirt? Blocking pin contacts (couldn't hurt to give a clean via a cotton tip with some ISO alcohol)
or
b) Loose-detached/micro-fractures with the connector/solder joints respectively, by multiple plug/unplugging to the HDMI port?

(In retrospect if it's a maybe on the H/W front (b), might be a benefit to bring the laptop to your local PC guy or tech-savvy friend/family member/co-worker, whereby it maybe easier to diagnose/resolve)

BoL.HTH Tongue
Thanks, k4sh1n and all for trying to help, but I think I'm going to heed your latter suggestion and bring the box to my IT guy on the mainland first chance I get. With my recent luck on desktop, lappie, and tablet I think I'm better off letting someone qualified tinker with it.
Hey, folks . . . I decided to completely wipe Kodi from from my laptop and start from scratch. Got everything back and in tip top shape. When viewing programmes through kodi on the lappie, the speakers work fine, as do the telly speakers when the HDMI cable is attached. Still no idea what the problem was but I'm not about to look a gift horse in the mouth.

Many thanks to you all for putting up with my noob questions. Hopefully I learned a small bit of something, from the experience, though I can't imagine what. :<>

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HDMI Audio Grief0