Alternative to Chromebox with Amazon Prime & 5.1 Support
Hi all,

I currently have the Asus Chromebox (2955u/4GB) running Kodibuntu which works great as media centre solution for playing local media.

My requirements are evolving, I'm now a Amazon Prime subscriber and would like to make use of instant video, as well as using the UK catch up services. I'd like to access these services through Kodi if possible for ease of use, all whilst using a Harmony remote to navigate all interfaces.

Ideally I'd like to have the ability to playback most common media formats, with 5.1 surround sound capability.

As far as I can see, I can no longer achieve the above with the Chromebox alone as there isn't an actively supported (or working?) prime video app. I also find the UK catchup service add-ons rather clunky at times. Aside from the add-ons I believe the only method for accessing these services would be through a web browser (via lubuntu in my case?) which obviously isn't possible whilst using a harmony remote.

I'm therefore leaning towards an Android based box, with most of my attention drawn to the Amazon Fire TV box due to it's native instant video and catch up service app capabilities. Is there a better suited alternative? I need something within the same price range as the Fire TV box - £100-150 if possible?

Thanks in advance!!!
Fire TV box is really your best option if Prime video is important. If by "5.1 surround sound capability", you mean just DD/DTS & not HD audio formats, then FTV will do.

For Kodi, installing FireStarter first helps a great deal. You can find good support, including Kodi-related, here.
[H]i-[d]eft [M]edia [K]een [V]ideosaurus
My HT
Whats wrong with keeping the Chromebox and adding in something like the Fire Stick for all these extra services you want to use?
lol @ your thread title. came in here expecting you'd bricked the box or set it on fire or something, not decided you wanted a magic unicorn dream box that does everything.
I suspect the box he is looking for contains that ultra rare substance - Rocking Horse Poo !

(2016-02-03, 05:21)Matt Devo Wrote: lol @ your thread title. came in here expecting you'd bricked the box or set it on fire or something, not decided you wanted a magic unicorn dream box that does everything.

Updated thread title Wink I guess it was a little extreme. I mean the Chromebox with your setup script has been great. But as with many Kodi users, requirements and wants change over time.

The reason I'm opposed to getting a Fire TV stick comes down to a few things; lack of free HDMI ports on my receiver and my want for an all-in-one solution.

Talking of magic unicorn dream boxes & boxes fueld by rocking horse poo, is there a box which provides the services I require + HD audio formats? I mean, my current AV setup doesn't support HD audio, but it's good to future-proof I guess.
(2016-02-03, 15:27)denz13 Wrote: ...is there a box which provides the services I require + HD audio formats?
Not one w/Amazon Instant/Prime. Give up native Amazon app for TV, then nVidia Shield or even WeTek Core will fit the bill. You can sideload tablet version (requiring mouse) of Amazon, with output capped at 480p. Heck, there's even a Prime leanback launcher someone made that'll show up on Android TV's home screen to launch Amazon.

But, if you want the best Amazon Instant/Prime experience, then the gen2 FTV box is the best option. Amazon did this by design to makes its own box (and purposely not others) the best experience to its walled garden.
My HT
(2016-02-03, 16:01)hdmkv Wrote:
(2016-02-03, 15:27)denz13 Wrote: ...is there a box which provides the services I require + HD audio formats?
Not one w/Amazon Instant/Prime. Give up native Amazon app for TV, then nVidia Shield or even WeTek Core will fit the bill. You can sideload tablet version (requiring mouse) of Amazon, with output capped at 480p. Heck, there's even a Prime leanback launcher someone made that'll show up on Android TV's home screen to launch Amazon.

But, if you want the best Amazon Instant/Prime experience, then the gen2 FTV box is the best option. Amazon did this by design to makes its own box (and purposely not others) the best experience to its walled garden.

Thanks for the info.

In terms of picture/audio quality how does the AFTV fare up against my current Asus Chromebox? I'm just trying to weigh up whether the potential change to AFTV (For instant video) will impact on picture quality over the Chromebox I already have...

Also, does the AFTV support media stored on external USB hardrives (Not flash)? I can't see a mention of USB storage on the wiki.
Chromebox is better, no question, especially proper framerates for picture, and full HD audio. But, for casual viewing (vs. dedicated home theater use), I find PQ out of FTV good enough.

Re: media on external drives, yes.
My HT
(2016-02-03, 19:58)denz13 Wrote: In terms of picture/audio quality how does the AFTV fare up against my current Asus Chromebox? I'm just trying to weigh up whether the potential change to AFTV (For instant video) will impact on picture quality over the Chromebox I already have...

You can check the picture quality of a few popular devices in this post: http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=...pid2221395

I didn't test the Chromebox, but I did test an Intel Haswell HTPC running OpenELEC Kodi v17.0 with VAAPI.
(2016-02-03, 03:33)Topken Wrote: Whats wrong with keeping the Chromebox and adding in something like the Fire Stick for all these extra services you want to use?

+1. I have the same setup, and the FireTv stick can't be beat for its convenience, and no Kodi plugin will match its interface IMO.
@wesk05, had not seen that post/thread; interesting. So, is FTV among the "two devices that have slightly lesser picture quality"? Inquiring minds want to know Wink.
My HT
Kind of funny we are debating FTV picture quality when they claim its a 4k player.
(2016-02-03, 20:54)hdmkv Wrote: @wesk05, had not seen that post/thread; interesting. So, is FTV among the "two devices that have slightly lesser picture quality"? Inquiring minds want to know Wink.

You have a PM!
(2016-02-03, 20:58)ozkhan1 Wrote: Kind of funny we are debating FTV picture quality when they claim its a 4k player.
It is actually unrelated. Roku 4 is also reported to have an issue with 4K picture, but it seems Roku is not willing to acknowledge it.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Alternative to Chromebox with Amazon Prime & 5.1 Support0