Android Surface rendering
So the new Jarvis builds have Surface Rendering enabled by default on my Android device (Nvidia Shield ATV). It reports as 1080p on the interface and playback 4k video as 4k. While this is a nice feature, I liked the native resolution of Isengard and because the settopbox is so powerful, no noticeable slowdown on 4k for me. Besides, who doesn't like a smooth and sharp interface.Nod

Is it possible to disable surface rendering with advancedsettings.xml or within the interface, because I've looked (almost) everywhere.
Not at this time, no. Maybe in the future, though.
How is this implemented, is it as easy as a boolean or setting a resolution in code? I'd set up a local dev environment to make a small change if needed and build a custom APK.
My understanding is that unless you've found a skin with 4K textures then it's completely pointless, all that was happening before is Kodi was upscaling either 720p or 1080p textures to 4K, so the only difference is where the upscaling happens meaning there should be little difference in quality.
For skin elements, sure, but posters, thumbs, and text will render at a higher resolution. Even if one only has posters that are meant to be seen at 1080, most skins aren't showing them at full screen, so they are much sharper at 4k.
The real pita with having GUI @ 1080p is that pictures are not shown in 4K, which is a bummer.
I've allowed the GUI to run in 4k by implementing a variation of the GUI size limiter of the rpi in my repo.

Now, well , due to the current android situation, not sure yet on how to get that to users...

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Surface rendering0