WiFi buffer problems
Sad 
Hoi guys i'm move into a new apartment house and setup my Raspberry Pi's and my Qnap NAS

Everthing works great, but when I want to watch some movies.
Most of the time I got laggy playback and time to time some buffering....

I installed my second Raspberry Pi 2 with Kodi 15.2 (OpenELEC 6.0) on the back side of my bedroom flat screen.
The internet connection I use a 300Mbps WiFi usbstick:
Link

My router is a D-Link 890L (fw 1.08) and the distance is about 7 meters and a thin wall between the router and raspberry pi 2.

Do you guys any tips for me?
(2016-02-03, 23:05)DaFixer Wrote: Do you guys any tips for me?

Drill a hole in the wall and pass an ethernet cable through is the only certain way.
Flawless HD video playback over wifi is pretty rare, especially if there are wifi using neighbours.
(2016-02-03, 23:17)popcornmix Wrote:

Drill a hole in the wall and pass an ethernet cable through is the only certain way.
Flawless HD video playback over wifi is pretty rare, especially if there are wifi using neighbours.
PowerLine adapter might be less traumatic.
first_time_user (wiki) | free content (wiki) | forum rules (wiki) | PVR (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)

IMPORTANT:
The official Kodi version does not contain any content what so ever. This means that you should provide your own content from a local or remote storage location, DVD, Blu-Ray or any other media carrier that you own. Additionally Kodi allows you to install third-party plugins that may provide access to content that is freely available on the official content provider website. The watching or listening of illegal or pirated content which would otherwise need to be paid for is not endorsed or approved by Team Kodi.
Did you modify video buffer settings already?
HOW-TO:Modify the video cache

This might help reducing the lags.

Yes I know that an ethernet cable is best way to go for streaming movies.
But in my old apartment I use the same setup (only this my old router a Asus) and I got no problems while watching some movies.
Problem is that I want to hide the lan cable, but then I must remove the new wall plinths.
And that is a problem for me.
(2016-02-04, 09:50)icebaer Wrote: Did you modify video buffer settings already?
HOW-TO:Modify the video cache

This might help reducing the lags.

I will try that, but when putting that file on my Pi2.
That will work after I restart my Pi2?
(2016-02-04, 23:14)DaFixer Wrote:

Yes I know that an ethernet cable is best way to go for streaming movies.
But in my old apartment I use the same setup (only this my old router a Asus) and I got no problems while watching some movies.
Problem is that I want to hide the lan cable, but then I must remove the new wall plinths.
And that is a problem for me.

So the thing that is changed is the apartment. Have you checked for channel interference on your Wifi?
HTPCs: 2 x Chromecast with Google TV
Audio: Pioneer VSX-819HK & S-HS 100 5.1 Speakers
Server: HP Compaq Pro 6300, 4GB RAM, 8.75TB, Bodhi Linux 5.x, NFS, MySQL
I think he changed his router as well? In my case, I never got totally stable wifi until I got my current router. The previous routers seemed to work fine with the phones and tablets in the house but I was getting occasional dropouts and buffering on the Pi. Since I got the Netgear R7000 it's been rock-solid. Not one single issue. He's got a high-end router so it seems unlikely to be the problem in itself, but wifi is a strange animal. The combination of router and dongle and the maturity of the linux drivers for the various chipsets... I'd try playing with settings in the router first. Then I'd try a different dongle, preferably one that's verified by other users to work with the Pi2.
After some try to fix this, I found out that an LAN cable is only the best solution.
My father in law and me will try to hide the LAN cable.

But thank you for your help and info Wink

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
WiFi buffer problems0