Building a RP2 for KODI
Currently I stream music and video from a shared drive to multiple computers, a blue ray player, an android tablet, and an LG G4. (All run KODI except BR)

I used to have an android box that was given to me, but it was a cheap Chinese box that I threw out because it rarely worked. I can't stand the Blue Ray UI, so I was thinking of building a RP2 box. If I buy the parts off amazon.ca (I'm from Canada) does it matter who I get it from? Is it all the same stuff? Or is it like the mediocre boxes and you really don't know what you're getting until you get it.

All I want to use it for is to stream local media and some stored in the cloud I share between family members.

Cheers!
If it's called Raspberry Pi 2 then it's all the same.

If you search for an OS, I would recommend OpenELEC.
So Openelec is an alternative Android, but do I also need kodi on it or does it do it's own thing from streaming media?
(2016-02-06, 02:01)Rahstyle Wrote: So Openelec is an alternative Android, but do I also need kodi on it or does it do it's own thing from streaming media?

OpenElec is a OS that only has Kodi. There is no other user interface, other than the command line, just Kodi.

If you want an OS that does other stuff as well there is Raspbian, which you can install Kodi on, if you want to.
HTPCs: 2 x Chromecast with Google TV
Audio: Pioneer VSX-819HK & S-HS 100 5.1 Speakers
Server: HP Compaq Pro 6300, 4GB RAM, 8.75TB, Bodhi Linux 5.x, NFS, MySQL
I have no use for any other apps, so it sounds like openelec is a good choice. Thanks Smile

Is there a list of parts for building it? I have a pretty rad electronics store nearby and it would save me waiting and shipping costs if I could drive over and grab everything Smile
And if OpenElec doesn't work for you, try OSMC (osmc.tv) with Kodi baked in.
Just a Raspberry pi 2 , a SD card ( atleast 8 gb so you don't run out of space ) , a case for Pi 2 , and a good power supply with proper 2A output at 5V.
Oh and a WiFi module if you don't have Ethernet running to the setup
Yes, don't go with a cheap power supply. RPi2 really need a good, solid 2A power supply.
thanks, that's perfect!
have any of you tried using the tv usb for power?
(2016-02-06, 06:37)Rahstyle Wrote: have any of you tried using the tv usb for power?
Yes, it works on my Panasonic TV, but I have no other USB devices plugged into the Pi 2.

Note the TV supplies the USB port power for a few seconds after the TV is turned off. Occasionally this is not enough and corrupts the Kodi settings which I have to redo.
(2016-02-06, 06:37)Rahstyle Wrote: have any of you tried using the tv usb for power?

Yes, it doesn't work properly in my experience. It either brings up an power indicator every time you do something or just crashes a lot and corrupts the SD card. I have tried this on several TVs and the result is never a good one.
HTPCs: 2 x Chromecast with Google TV
Audio: Pioneer VSX-819HK & S-HS 100 5.1 Speakers
Server: HP Compaq Pro 6300, 4GB RAM, 8.75TB, Bodhi Linux 5.x, NFS, MySQL
good points, thanks dudes Smile

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Building a RP2 for KODI0