Slideshow or navigation in folders with hundreds of JPG files now crashes Kodi.
Kodi 16 crashes on my Raspberry Pi 1 when I try to navigate into, or use the recursive slideshow feature, on directories with a lot of JPG files (numbering in the hundreds). It crashes every single time I try. It still works on directories with a small number of image files. Navigating into directories with large numbers of JPG files causes Kodi to try to scrape all the media information from every single file, and that sucks up all the free RAM. Once the free memory falls below ~30Mb, Kodi always crashes.

There used to be an option in Settings to stop Kodi from scraping the media information such as EXIF information from directories of images. That option seems to be gone now, which I guess is why it seems to be doing it by default now. You can still stop it from generating thumbnails, but that's not good enough. Navigating into directories with lots of pictures still automatically gobbles up way too much RAM and crashes Kodi, even when you're working in list view with no thumbnails.

There needs to be an option to stop it from scraping directories for media information again. I think I will be downgrading to the previous version in the meantime, where the slideshow still worked, since this functionality is very important to me. I sincerely hope the Kodi team will repair this problem soon.
It is a known issue. You'll crash windows too with enough photos.
No solution yet, but aborting the "extrating meta-data" dialog may avoid the issue.
You say “no solution yet” but I had no problem with this functionality on previous versions of OSMC/Kodi. Therefore the solution is dirt simple: go back to the way previous versions of Kodi handled large directories. The problem is obviously something the developers “improved upon” very recently, that broke something that wasn't broken before, and turned what was supposed to be an upgrade into a most disappointing downgrade. Since it worked correctly before, all they need to do is recompile the relevant modules with the old, working code, and push down a patch onto our boxes. Bam, problem solved.
I suspect this is the change you are unhappy with PR:7992.
But you'd be better off reporting this in a general forum where the devs who made the decision may see it.
Okay, I just posted a comment about it on that github thread. I had to create a github account to comment on the thread. I am brand new to github and have no idea how it works. Is there some other place, besides that thread, where I should post about it? Where is the proper general forum, where the devs who made the decision may see it? Thanks for your help!
You are not supposed to comment on github
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
Well, I can see how helpful you're trying to be, Martijn, both here and in the other thread. Clearly you are 100% committed to helping Kodi be the best thing it can be, which is why you are so interested in finding a solution to this problem and certainly not just bashing people who point out that there is in fact a problem. Thank you so much for that helpful, constructive attitude. [/sarcasm]

I didn't make the mistake, Martijn. I am not wrong for calling attention to it and expecting it to be fixed.
Oh, I think I see what's happening here.

https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/pull/7992 Wrote:MartijnKaijser added this to the Jarvis 16.0-alpha3 milestone on Sep 13, 2015
Whoopsy-daisy! You wouldn't happen to be MartijnKaijser, would you? Did I step on your toes because you're the one who thought it'd be a good idea for Kodi to chug its way through all the media info in every directory by default? Completely ignoring the likelihood that directories might contain a lot of files, and scraping all that media info might, you know, start using up a lot of memory eventually? Because memory isn't infinite, is it, Martijn? And systems do tend to crash when it's all used up, don't they? But hey, why should anybody want to store more than a handful of files in a directory? We can just rm * them if there's too many, right?
You made a bad call, Martijn, just admit it, everyone makes mistakes buddy.
That is a good way to get the issue ignored. Kodi is open source, not something you purchased, making demands like you paid won't get you much.

It is easy to downgrade until a fix is deployed.
Quote:It is easy to downgrade until a fix is deployed.
Yep, and that's what I'll be doing. Thanks!
BTW, I'm not “demanding” anything. I'm simply pointing out that a mistake was made, and Martijn (who is obviously feeling sensitive about the part he played in it) has been accusing me of bitching and being ungrateful for daring to point out that a mistake was made and a major feature that used to work is now crippled because of it. I think that's important information, and now we know what the problem is and whose bailiwick it falls in, don't we? So I'll be looking forward to that fix being deployed. Thanks again!
I highly doubt they purposely changed to code to cause the crashes. This is why they put out pre-releases for people to test and report issues. As you are using a Pi, testing with a 2nd SD card is especially easy.

Most of the developers have a job and life outside of Kodi. Report the issue, provide them the information they need and allow them time to fix it.
I agree this needs to be fixed. This option was really helpful, I see no use of having to wait a while whenever I open any photo folder.
Still can not see anything about that in the new RC?!
I also have this problem on both the Shield TV and the Amazon FireTV. Recursive Slideshow option works on smaller folders, but crashes Kodi when tried on the root folder. On my Windows install of Kodi it gives the "Error: Exception caught on main loop.exiting" and then crashes. I'm willing to help troubleshoot if you allow me.

(As a fellow developer I really respect what you guys have done with this project! Thanks for all your hardwork!)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Slideshow or navigation in folders with hundreds of JPG files now crashes Kodi.0