Slideshow or navigation in folders with hundreds of JPG files now crashes Kodi.
Hi All,

I run Kodi 16.1 in a OpenELEC / LibreELEC environment and ran into the picture-crash issue recently.
This is super annoying, the more, since this used to work flawlessly in earlier version - bla bla, you heard it before.

I can see the last posts are from March - now its August. Can anything be done about this please?

BTW, I love the work you're doing guys. I come from MediaPortal and Kodi is so much cooler. Full thumbs up here, awesome work!
I will eventually roll this out to all HTPCs we have (5 - each family member plus living room :-)
Any update? I'm having the same issue and would really like the current versions of KODI to work with my family photo album.
(2017-02-17, 15:03)benwhite Wrote: Any update? I'm having the same issue and would really like the current versions of KODI to work with my family photo album.

The memory usage has been improved. What version of Kodi are you running and how many photos do you have in a single folder?

Kodi still reads details of every photo from a directory into memory which does mean on any platform you can exceed available memory with enough photos.
Ideally it would be a bit smarter, and parse photos as needed (perhaps with the next few queued up to allow scrolling through photos without delay).
But that would need someone to be willing to rewrite a large chunk of code.
(2017-02-17, 15:14)popcornmix Wrote:
(2017-02-17, 15:03)benwhite Wrote: Any update? I'm having the same issue and would really like the current versions of KODI to work with my family photo album.

The memory usage has been improved. What version of Kodi are you running and how many photos do you have in a single folder?

Kodi still reads details of every photo from a directory into memory which does mean on any platform you can exceed available memory with enough photos.
Ideally it would be a bit smarter, and parse photos as needed (perhaps with the next few queued up to allow scrolling through photos without delay).
But that would need someone to be willing to rewrite a large chunk of code. 
 I'm really perplexed by this answer.. Why? Why does Kodi reads all these photo details into memory? Whatś the use, I just want to see a slide show.
And it shouldn't be that hard.
EG. The screen saver slide-show addon has no problem with this whatsoever, hardly consumes any memory and randomly displays images without pre-reading details of the entire image folder on start.
So it's possible but for me it's not a working solution to use the screen saver for this.
So Iḿ now displaying my slide-shows with my smart-tv, which start displaying within seconds end without crashing.
A bit disappointing that the Kodi team is not taking this simple issue very seriously.
(2017-12-27, 00:46)Nevyn71 Wrote: I'm really perplexed by this answer.. Why? Why does Kodi reads all these photo details into memory? Whatś the use, I just want to see a slide show.
And it shouldn't be that hard.
EG. The screen saver slide-show addon has no problem with this whatsoever, hardly consumes any memory and randomly displays images without pre-reading details of the entire image folder on start.
So it's possible but for me it's not a working solution to use the screen saver for this.
So Iḿ now displaying my slide-shows with my smart-tv, which start displaying within seconds end without crashing.
A bit disappointing that the Kodi team is not taking this simple issue very seriously.
@Nevyn71 also agree & facing similar problem. Upon beginning a recursive slideshow Kodi takes over 5 minutes to 'assemble' the slideshow before presenting (if it doesn't crash).

Ideally it would be best for Kodi slideshow to dynamically load each picture, rather than assembling all the photo details it's going to present into memory.
Seems there's no enough momentum for any kind of development of such a feature. I personally don't have the expertise.
See discussion here: 
https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/pull/9796#i...-219212047
Under Settings -> Pictures: Disable Show EXIF picture information
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
(2016-02-24, 19:59)popcornmix Wrote: It is a known issue. You'll crash windows too with enough photos.
No solution yet, but aborting the "extrating meta-data" dialog may avoid the issue.

Any progress yet? What about with V18.1?
I experience same issue on Kodi 18.2 (Raspberry Pi3). I'm really disapointed that such a basic feature doesn't work, even after disabling exif ifo.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Slideshow or navigation in folders with hundreds of JPG files now crashes Kodi.0