Seek Recommendation for Android Black Box
Somebody recently gave me a ZoomTak T5 to play with and it turns out to be "...one of many dreaded "fully loaded" piracy boxes...".

Ok... so we don't want any part of *that*....

But I like the concept: little black box under my TV to aggregate and play media stuff from the web.... even just having Chrome available on my TV makes a couple hundred bucks seem reasonable.

So I want to buy something - but what ?

In the absence of any recommendations, I would get a plain-vanilla, "unloaded" ZoomTak T8 - just because the T5 seemed to have the basics,, albeit with insufficient screen rez.

But when I Google for ZoomTak vendors, it gets confusing - seems like a ZoomTak T8 is not always a ZoomTak T8.... too many flavors for one who is easily confused; and I do not want to wind up with another piracy box even so I could probably do a factory reset or something and rebuild it plain-vanilla.... but that might be above my pay grade, and why go through it in the first place?

So, bottom line.... can anybody recommend something that they know and love ?

Must-Haves:
  • Kodi-Friendly
  • At Least 2 USB-3 Ports
  • Built-in BlueTooth
  • Ethernet port
  • 1920x1080 Video
  • HDMI Output
  • No Moving Parts (i.e. silent - no fans)
  • Simple form factor. i.e. a flat box and not some sculpture-like tower

Nice-To-Haves:
  • Maximum Horsepower (so Chrome and Kodi do not stumble)
  • Maximum Memory (i.e. can be loaded up with plenty apps)
  • Ability to have an SDD installed (dunno why... just seems like a good idea on GPs)
If i could afford it, i would grab this (It does have a fan, but from reports... it's whisper quiet)

http://kodi.wiki/view/Nvidia_SHIELD_Android_TV
WeTek Core or a Google Nexus Player with USB/Ethernet hub (about $10 USD extra).

If you don't need Android apps, Raspberry Pi 2 (or 3) or a Celeron-based Chromebox.
(2016-02-28, 06:33)Ned Scott Wrote: WeTek Core or a Google Nexus Player with USB/Ethernet hub (about $10 USD extra).

If you don't need Android apps, Raspberry Pi 2 (or 3) or a Celeron-based Chromebox.
Must be pretty good (from the WeTek site): "WeTek Core has had a huge demand and currently it's out-of-stock. The replenishment will take a few weeks, so if you want to reserve your WeTek Core, please, fill out the form below."

I read a few reviews..... Then I filled out the form....

Thanks.
(2016-02-28, 06:33)Ned Scott Wrote: WeTek Core
Any thoughts on how WeTek Core stacks up against Ugoos' offering at http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00XR5F...1_1&sr=8-1 ?
This would be more appropriate in the hardware section - moving.
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts
(2016-02-29, 23:17)DarrenHill Wrote: This would be more appropriate in the hardware section - moving.

Thanks - I just stumbled on to the hardware forum a few minutes ago.

If you have not moved it yet, just delete it in light of the wealth of information already there.

Otherwise, my apologies to all for this rather-dumb (in light of the hardware section) post.
(2016-02-29, 23:16)PeteCress Wrote:
(2016-02-28, 06:33)Ned Scott Wrote: WeTek Core
Any thoughts on how WeTek Core stacks up against Ugoos' offering at http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00XR5F...1_1&sr=8-1 ?

Full disclosure, I work for WeTek.

I would go with the Core of any of the official "Android TV" (as recognized by Google) products because they are the only Android set top boxes (that I know of) that support the right certification for HD Netflix playback (and other apps). Other devices are limited to 480p. It's baked in on the hardware level, so it's not possible to just reflash a generic box with similar specs with the same firmware, and have HD Netflix support.

Also, someone once sent me an Ugoos box to test Kodi with, and the fan was glued on the heat sink. It fell off when being shipped to me, lol.

There are other reasons, like great support, actual developers working for them, and more. The downside to the Core is that it requires the included air mouse for some things, because many apps are tablet versions, and I hate airmice. But for Kodi, it's great.
Nvidia Shield ATV, has the most powerful SoC available in a box, plus it ticks off all your must haves. Runs Android TV, which means it's made for the TV

Plus, with the recent Android 6.0 (Marshmallow) update you can expand your storage to pretty much what ever you want.

And as with Wetek, has good support and Nvidia is a Kodi sponsor. And when you get ready to update it does 4K@60Hz and supports HD Audio pass-through.

Not to mention it's not bad as a gaming device, just got through playing Metal Gear Rising: Revengance, which is only available on the SATV.
Forum Rules (wiki) | Banned add-ons (wiki) | Wiki (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
@ Tinwarble, are you able to update me on Fixes for the nVIDIA Shield for the Pick the Right Kodi Box thread.

I would like to know if the Colorspace, issues (Full vs Limited range) have been fixed with the recent Marshmallow update ?
Also is HD Audio passthrough working properly for the majority of people as well ?

Any Killer features that came with the Marshmallow update that are must have's now on the Shield ?

Disclosure too, I'm a (unpaid) WeTek Beta tester for various bits of hardware and software.

@PeteCress, yes as previously mentioned both the Shield and the WeTek Core are worthy considerations, with fantastic support. Pick your codec and playback requirements, find any limitations and choose.
I have not investigated using external storage for Apps on the Core yet, looks like the Shield has it in the Marshmallow update.

For me personally I do not use HD Audio Passthrough, not even 5.1 Audio - even though Kodi (using WeTek Jarvis Mediaplayer) on the Core provide both options.
Its Kodi, quality TV deinterlacing using the VPU in the Hardware, Netflix and a bit of YouTube. I can use the Android TV OS versions of Netflix and YouTube on the Core and do not even have to touch the Air Mouse function at all.

The Value adding that WeTek bring to the Core is fantastic compared to the cheapie, unsupported, Android platforms. By that I mean dual boot Android / OpenELEC, HD Audio passthrough, Valuable custom Apps and a nice flexible slick Launcher.

What is really important to me personally is proper video playback Sync. I hate video panning judder, it hurts my brain.

So the Killer feature, HERE, that is currently under testing on the Core is Android Global Dynamic Refresh Rate Switching (all automatic). It now does not matter which App you are using in Android - be it Kodi, Netflix, YouTube, basically any App playing back video will get dynamic refresh rate switching to sync video playback perfectly with a display.
I have not seen this on any other platform and it's likely a first for Android.

All nutted out by some clever bloke (CT), locked in a shed, near the coast in Italy Wink

(2016-03-01, 03:40)Ned Scott Wrote: Full disclosure, I work for WeTek. Other devices are limited to 480p. It's baked in on the hardware level, so it's not possible to just reflash a generic box with similar specs with the same firmware, and have HD Netflix support.
Case Closed....

Don't know much about this stuff, but one of the first things I noticed (after the presence of an obviously-pirated movie and the limited rez with Chrome windows) on the pirate box somebody gave me was the prevalence of 480....

For me, 480 got really old really fast and I was attributing it to the source material, not the box.

The fact that somebody who works for WeTek participates here seems like a big deal to me - further supporting the idea that WeTek's box is a more serious product than the competition.

Thanks.... I will eagerly await the notification I signed up for from WeTek that the Cores are back in stock.
(2016-03-01, 03:59)Tinwarble Wrote: Nvidia Shield ATV, has the most powerful SoC available in a box, plus it ticks off all your must haves. Runs Android TV, which means it's made for the TV

Plus, with the recent Android 6.0 (Marshmallow) update you can expand your storage to pretty much what ever you want.

And as with Wetek, has good support and Nvidia is a Kodi sponsor. And when you get ready to update it does 4K@60Hz and supports HD Audio pass-through.

Not to mention it's not bad as a gaming device, just got through playing Metal Gear Rising: Revengance, which is only available on the SATV.
Believe-it-or not, the gaming console aspect actually put me off.

The chances of my ever playing a video game are somewhere between Null and Zero... And I am assuming there are costs around inclusion of those features - as in "Includes SHIELD controller. SHIELD remote sold separately.".
(2016-03-01, 14:54)PeteCress Wrote:
(2016-03-01, 03:40)Ned Scott Wrote: Full disclosure, I work for WeTek. Other devices are limited to 480p. It's baked in on the hardware level, so it's not possible to just reflash a generic box with similar specs with the same firmware, and have HD Netflix support.
Case Closed....

Don't know much about this stuff, but one of the first things I noticed (after the presence of an obviously-pirated movie and the limited rez with Chrome windows) on the pirate box somebody gave me was the prevalence of 480....

For me, 480 got really old really fast and I was attributing it to the source material, not the box.

The fact that somebody who works for WeTek participates here seems like a big deal to me - further supporting the idea that WeTek's box is a more serious product than the competition.

Thanks.... I will eagerly await the notification I signed up for from WeTek that the Cores are back in stock.

Wetek are in a different league to the other no-name vendors. They are actively helping with open source development and engaging with the community here.
(2016-03-01, 05:38)wrxtasy Wrote: @ Tinwarble, are you able to update me on Fixes for the nVIDIA Shield for the Pick the Right Kodi Box thread.

I would like to know if the Colorspace, issues (Full vs Limited range) have been fixed with the recent Marshmallow update ?
Also is HD Audio passthrough working properly for the majority of people as well ?

Any Killer features that came with the Marshmallow update that are must have's now on the Shield ?

Yes, Nvidia added RGB Limited and Full and did improve YUV 4:2:0 to at least some degree.

wesk05 might be able to better answer any color space questions since he's done some extensive testing (and has the equipment to do so). But according to the blind tests he's preformed:

wesk05 Wrote:Between this forum and the Kodi forum, I got only 7 responses. Based on those responses, Google Nexus Player seem to have the worst picture followed by Amazon FireTV 2. SATV was not picked by any one! One can only hope that whatever Marshmallow update the Nexus Player received to correct the black level problem doesn't produce similar results on SATV's 3.0 update.

Two of the responses said that Minix U1 had the best picture in the Dark Knight Rises scene.

I have another comment to add about Minix U1. It seem to have aggressive edge enhancement often resulting in overshoot. You can identify this clearly in Inside Out © and Samsara Clip 1 (E). In Inside Out, you can see it as a dark outline on the right side of Anger's face/head and in Samsara Clip 1 you will see it as black outline on the woman's lower lip.

Here is the full list:

As for killer features, well the adoptable storage (USB or micoSD Card) is pretty awesome. Smile

(2016-03-01, 14:59)PeteCress Wrote: Believe-it-or not, the gaming console aspect actually put me off.

The chances of my ever playing a video game are somewhere between Null and Zero... And I am assuming there are costs around inclusion of those features - as in "Includes SHIELD controller. SHIELD remote sold separately.".

No, I believe it and have heard that from a couple of people. Just not sure why since it shows the power and capability of the SATV......and believe it or not, you don't have to play games on it. Wink

To me it's like someone going car shopping and not buying a SUV only for the specific reason that you could haul stuff in it, even though it does everything else you want. But to each his own I guess.

As for the remote, well, if you'd bought it a month ago it came with the remote for the same price. However, that said, it's unnecessary if you have a Harmony remote. Personally I have the Shield remote but I much more prefer my Harmony Smart Control HUB.
Forum Rules (wiki) | Banned add-ons (wiki) | Wiki (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
(2016-02-28, 00:05)PeteCress Wrote: Somebody recently gave me a ZoomTak T5 to play with and it turns out to be "...one of many dreaded "fully loaded" piracy boxes...".

Ok... so we don't want any part of *that*....

But I like the concept: little black box under my TV to aggregate and play media stuff from the web.... even just having Chrome available on my TV makes a couple hundred bucks seem reasonable.

So I want to buy something - but what ?

In the absence of any recommendations, I would get a plain-vanilla, "unloaded" ZoomTak T8 - just because the T5 seemed to have the basics,, albeit with insufficient screen rez.

But when I Google for ZoomTak vendors, it gets confusing - seems like a ZoomTak T8 is not always a ZoomTak T8.... too many flavors for one who is easily confused; and I do not want to wind up with another piracy box even so I could probably do a factory reset or something and rebuild it plain-vanilla.... but that might be above my pay grade, and why go through it in the first place?

So, bottom line.... can anybody recommend something that they know and love ?

Must-Haves:
  • Kodi-Friendly
  • At Least 2 USB-3 Ports
  • Built-in BlueTooth
  • Ethernet port
  • 1920x1080 Video
  • HDMI Output
  • No Moving Parts (i.e. silent - no fans)
  • Simple form factor. i.e. a flat box and not some sculpture-like tower

Nice-To-Haves:
  • Maximum Horsepower (so Chrome and Kodi do not stumble)
  • Maximum Memory (i.e. can be loaded up with plenty apps)
  • Ability to have an SDD installed (dunno why... just seems like a good idea on GPs)

I am using zoomtak t8 plus, and I am pretty happy with it. Note that "T8 pro" is the cloned version and is not the actual box. it has pretty much what you asked for and got a good support, and biweekly add-on update.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Seek Recommendation for Android Black Box0