Solved MOVE your kodi Android data to an SD card
Lightbulb 
Kodi was slow and crashing and I realized it was cuz my FLASH memory on my Android box was full. I looked at FAQs and help files to find out how to move my data files to my SD card on my Android box. It took some fiddling and lots of trial and error, so I thought I'd post here to help anybody else who is as dense as I am.

Here is a link to the FAQ which I followed but dumbed down a little...
http://kodi.wiki/view/HOW-TO:Change_data...or_Android

and here is my version...

MOVING DATA TO YOUR SD CARD IN KODI 16.0 - JARVIS
Turn off Kodi by using the power button on the kodi home page skin. Now first you need a program that will move files. I found FileCommander works great. I'm not sure but you might need the paid version to do this (it's five bucks and worth it just to get rid of the nag screen). You also need something to edit files. I got QuickEdit which is free and small. Both of these can be found in the Google Play store.

Next, using Quick Edit, make a new text file called xbmc_env.properties
In this file you only need one line telling Kodi where your data is. The faq says to type in...
xbmc.data=/storage/sdcard0/external_sdcard/kodi_data

It didn't work for me. But this did...
xbmc.data=/mnt/external_sd/kodi_data
so you might want to poke around and see what your directory structure looks like. File Commander is good for this too.

Now save it to your root directory on the drive that you will be moving FROM. Mine was called NAND FLASH. Don't put it in a directory called root (root is the top of the file structure), you need to save it in the directory that contains all the folders like the 'android' folder, the '.android-secure' folder, 'DCIM' folder etc. **MAKE SURE** it does not have the .txt extension on the end of the file, it should be called just, xbmc_env.properties

Now open FileCommander and make a NEW folder on your SD card called kodi_data

Next you want use FileCommander to go BACK to your main drive (again, mine was named NAND FLASH) and navigate here...
NAND FLASH -> ANDROID -> data -> org.xbmc.kodi -> files

In the files directory you will see two more directories, .kodi and .smb
With a mouse, click on the three dots way to the right of the .kodi dir. This gives you a bunch of choices, click 'copy.' It might take a minute or two or more to copy all that but it will tell you when it's done. Now you need to back out to the main FileCommander screen and click on your SD card again. Click on the 'kodi_data' directory that you made before and enter that directory. Now look at the TOP line of FileCommander windows (it's black) and on the right you will see white icons of a clipboard, magnifying glass, six squares, and three dots. Click on the clipboard and it will paste that .kodi directory into the kodi_data directory. This will take a while too.

(You might want to copy over the .smb directory too or you'll have to scan everything again, but I didn't do this so I'm not certain it will work).

Next get out of FileCommander, go to the SETTINGS icon in your android directory and click on the APPS button in there. Go down and clear the cache (not the data!). Back out of here to your main android screen and start kodi again. That should be it!

Once you are sure it's working you can delete the .kodi directory from NAND FLASH -> ANDROID -> data -> org.xbmc.kodi -> files which should free up a couple gigs. No more crashes for me after that! (knock on wood)

Let me know if there are any corrections.

-------------------------------
Dyslexics are teople poo
Nice! Mind if I add your improvements back to the wiki?
Please feel free.
Hi

Thanks for the information on moving the data folder to an external source. I've been going up the walls the past while trying to figure out how to do it. Using apps such link2sd and folder mount. but none of them worked. It took some trial and error but with your example I finally got there.

The only issue i'm having now is that Kodi is starting to run a little slow. I have quite an extensive library. I'm just wondering if maybe I did something wrong. Or maybe it's just a hardware issue. The read speeds on my usb flash drive might be slow or maybe its the usb port on the box itself. I'm using an amlogic M8 box. Quite a cheap box so i'm thinking it may be a hardware issue. maybe you'd have some suggestions?

Thanks in advance
Apparently everybody's system is different. Here's what worked for me, and based on the similarity of the external path to the internal path, I'd say anyone having trouble with the other suggestions here might want to try it:
Move the folder
/mnt/sdcard/Android/data/org.xbmc.kodi
to
/storage/<my external sd card>/Android/data/
and edit /mnt/sdcard/xbmc_env.properties to read
xbmc.data=/storage/<my external sd card>/Android/data/org.xbmc.kodi/files

I had to do this because I took T-Mobile's offer of a free phone (Samsung ON5) and only later realized it only has 8GB on board and blocks adopted storage without root. People seem to be having trouble rooting this phone, so I'm leaving it alone for now.

This brings up another question, though. When I run Kodi with these settings, everything works fine and my data is staying on the external SD card, but I am still losing 50 MB of internal storage on the first run. I can't find the additional data, but I do see a 25 MB file called /storage/emulated/0/Android/obb/org.xbmc.kodi/main.161001.org.xbmc.kodi.obb. Is it also possible to move this file to the external SD card, and if so how?
Hi.. does this method need a root?
I have minix neo x8h plus. Need to move the data soon

Thanks
(2016-03-02, 03:58)deaded Wrote: Kodi was slow and crashing and I realized it was cuz my FLASH memory on my Android box was full. I looked at FAQs and help files to find out how to move my data files to my SD card on my Android box. It took some fiddling and lots of trial and error, so I thought I'd post here to help anybody else who is as dense as I am.

Here is a link to the FAQ which I followed but dumbed down a little...
http://kodi.wiki/view/HOW-TO:Change_data...or_Android

and here is my version...

MOVING DATA TO YOUR SD CARD IN KODI 16.0 - JARVIS
Turn off Kodi by using the power button on the kodi home page skin. Now first you need a program that will move files. I found FileCommander works great. I'm not sure but you might need the paid version to do this (it's five bucks and worth it just to get rid of the nag screen). You also need something to edit files. I got QuickEdit which is free and small. Both of these can be found in the Google Play store.

Next, using Quick Edit, make a new text file called xbmc_env.properties
In this file you only need one line telling Kodi where your data is. The faq says to type in...
xbmc.data=/storage/sdcard0/external_sdcard/kodi_data

It didn't work for me. But this did...
xbmc.data=/mnt/external_sd/kodi_data
so you might want to poke around and see what your directory structure looks like. File Commander is good for this too.

Now save it to your root directory on the drive that you will be moving FROM. Mine was called NAND FLASH. Don't put it in a directory called root (root is the top of the file structure), you need to save it in the directory that contains all the folders like the 'android' folder, the '.android-secure' folder, 'DCIM' folder etc. **MAKE SURE** it does not have the .txt extension on the end of the file, it should be called just, xbmc_env.properties

Now open FileCommander and make a NEW folder on your SD card called kodi_data

Next you want use FileCommander to go BACK to your main drive (again, mine was named NAND FLASH) and navigate here...
NAND FLASH -> ANDROID -> data -> org.xbmc.kodi -> files

In the files directory you will see two more directories, .kodi and .smb
With a mouse, click on the three dots way to the right of the .kodi dir. This gives you a bunch of choices, click 'copy.' It might take a minute or two or more to copy all that but it will tell you when it's done. Now you need to back out to the main FileCommander screen and click on your SD card again. Click on the 'kodi_data' directory that you made before and enter that directory. Now look at the TOP line of FileCommander windows (it's black) and on the right you will see white icons of a clipboard, magnifying glass, six squares, and three dots. Click on the clipboard and it will paste that .kodi directory into the kodi_data directory. This will take a while too.

(You might want to copy over the .smb directory too or you'll have to scan everything again, but I didn't do this so I'm not certain it will work).

Next get out of FileCommander, go to the SETTINGS icon in your android directory and click on the APPS button in there. Go down and clear the cache (not the data!). Back out of here to your main android screen and start kodi again. That should be it!

Once you are sure it's working you can delete the .kodi directory from NAND FLASH -> ANDROID -> data -> org.xbmc.kodi -> files which should free up a couple gigs. No more crashes for me after that! (knock on wood)

Let me know if there are any corrections.

-------------------------------
Dyslexics are teople poo

Hi.. i have android tv box minix neo x8h plus..and i need to move the kodi data.. just a quick question
Does this method need a root access?

Thanks
Hello.

Can this still be accomplished using the latest version of Kodi v17.5 "Krypton"?

I am trying the method above but it is not working for me.

I dont have a lot of space left on my Samsung Galaxy Tab A and am forced to constantly reset Kodi Cache through settings for Kodi to work for 2 ore so movies then I have to do it again. I am thinking the Cache is to small and get filled up to quick.

I have a nice big 32GB sdcard installed I would like to use for all the Kodi files.
Just wondering... Are you using any over-the-top network buffering settings in your advancedsettings.xml ?
Because 2 or so movies do not fill up extra space that much. Four to five cached thumbs for fanart perhaps, but that's it.
Posting a log file would probably save everyone a lot of time.
Hello Klojum

I have not added advancedsettings.xml yet. I do have one I will add to it as soon as I can get it to run of the SDCard to configure the cache a bit better. Its like Kodi runs out of space. It works fine for a while, maybe more than 2 or 3 movies then all of a sudden it battles to stream and sometimes dont even want to start playing the movies or series. So I go into Android settings and do a cache and temp file cleanup. When I start Kodi again it runs like it is running for the first time, everything is still ok, all my addons and my local network folders. Then it will stream movies fine again for a while.

what I am noticing is that the less space I have on my device the more frequently I have to clean the cache.
Has anyone here, considered using Libreelec? You can create a bootable microsd card, when you remove the card, it boots to Android.
(2017-11-03, 11:29)FXB78 Wrote: Posting a log file would probably save everyone a lot of time.
@CroukampC , do not post logs into the forum. Upload logs and text files to pastebin.com or similar websites.
Also, having banned repos/addons installed makes you ineligible for further support.
Either fully remove these addons or seek support away from this forum.
(2017-11-03, 11:57)Klojum Wrote: @CroukampC , do not post logs into the forum. Upload logs and text files to pastebin.com or similar websites.
Also, having banned repos/addons installed makes you ineligible for further support.
Either fully remove these addons or seek support away from this forum.

Sorry about that.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
MOVE your kodi Android data to an SD card2