Poll: Smarter Navigation needed in xbmc - How would you like it to act?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Smart and Simple: If a folder has no subfolders, show in list view, else use an icon view.
0%
Ipod like: When choosing an artist in artist view, see a list of albums and 'All', then choose an album and proceed.
0%
Fully Customizable: The ability to put a folder.xml in each folder to choose the way it looks.
0%
Total
0 vote(s)
0%
* You voted for this item.

Smarter Navigation needed in xbmc
Sad 
here's the deal. i love xbmc, and i pretty much have it running all of the time that i am home. i think it's great, and whenever anyone comes over and sees it they are extremely impressed -- except when they actually navigate into an album in icon view. at this point i have to sit there and explain to them to switch from icon view to list view and back when they navigate my directory structure which happends to be either:

artist/album/song
artist/album/album - disc 1/song
or
genre/artist/album/song

they have to switch back between icon and list view because the covert art (folder.jpg) is a great feature but it doesn't work for a list of songs, only for artists, albums, and genres. i know a music db was implemented to get around this, but the views that it currently offers are far from perfect. with a large (~100gig) mp3 colllection there is no way perfectly organize your tags. for instance, i like tags to be accurate, but i don't want "bob marley and the wailers" to be in a different [logical] folder then "bob marley", so i put them both in my bob marley directory primarily because it simplifies navigation.
so a few weeks ago a started a thread here in hopes that this could be made better, and i've found that not only am i not the only user frusterated with the interface, it is tough to please all of the people all of the time. now i'm not a good enough c++ developer to implement any of these, but i'm sure the developers would like to know what people really want before they put any work into making a change.... so here they are:

choice 1: smart and simple
if a folder has no subfolders, show in list view, else use a preselected icon view. this choice means adding an extra config option to the music settings screen that says smart view icon size which is a toggle between large and regular. so if you are in a folder that contains other folders, they are displayed in the chosen icon size. if the folder has no other folders then list view is assumed and used. this seems the simplest to implement and it's my second favorite choice.

choice 2: ipod like
i recently got my hands on an ipod and at first i though it to be a bit awkward, but quickly got the hang of it. imho, it is the music database idea done correctly. after all, apple spends millions of dollars on ui so we should at least consider copying them. how it differes from the current 'view' choices is that once you choose a view, you are presented with a more sorted list. it makes things much simpler and easier to use, although i'm not sure how to best incorporate folder.jpg's into the mix. for those of you not lucky enough to have an ipod theapplecollection.com has a great demo of the ui here (theapplecollection.com).

choice 3: fully customizable
i propose the ability to put a folder.xml in each folder to choose the way it looks. not only am i talking large/small icons vs. list view, but the ability to choose what id3 tags are shown, and if they are shown at all. i'm sure this could be adapted for use with the movies db as well, although it is 2am and i don't want to post a half-ass idea. i'm sure this is a bit more work for both the developers and the users, but it truely would give everyone the power to make it do what they want -- and so it is my favorite. an xml file you say, how would it work you say?
code sample
Quote:<!--1. a nice album view -->
<folder>
<view>list</view>
<id3>yes</id3>
<sort>track</sort>
<tags>
<tag>track</tag>
<tag>title</tag>
<tag>length</tag>
</tags>
</folder>

<!--2. a nice directory of albums view -->
<folder>
<view>largeicons</view>
<id3>no</id3>
<sort>name</sort>
<tags/>
</folder>

<!--3. a folder of songs w/o tags or w/ bad tags view -->
<folder>
<view>list</view>
<id3>no</id3>
<sort>name</sort>
<tags/>
</folder>

<!--4. for a large folder of mixed music -->
<folder>
<view>list</view>
<id3>yes</id3>
<sort>artist</sort>
<tags>
<tag>artist</tag>
<tag>title</tag>
<tag>length</tag>
</tags>
</folder>

the 1st example shows how i'd like an album to be displayed, once i navigate to bob marley, then legend. i want to see:

1. is this love? 3:50
2. no woman no cry 7:08

the 2nd example is what i'd put in my folder of folders.

for the 3rd, say you know you have bad tags in a given folder, or even worse no tags. however, since the filenames are descriptive this would tell xbmc just to display those, and sort them alphebetically.

the 4th example is where the flexibilty starts getting really handy -- notice the lack of track #'s this is because say i have a large folder of mp3's called "best of 2002". i want this music to be grouped together, but arists and titles matter much more than track #'s and album names.

if someone thinks they have a better idea, post it here, and let's hope for the best. thanks.

<update>
i just noticed i forgot to add a 4th choice to say: things are great the way they are, leave well enough alone
so if a forum mod sees this and can do so, pls do.
</update>
--jaga
obviously i want to have everything so fully customizable would be prefrerred, but then again it isn't always a perfect world and we don't always get what we want Image

whatever happens i agree that there cleary has to be a change. if you view suff in large folders (for cover artc etc) thats fine in certain views but it certainly has to change when you are viewing, say the content of that disc. no point still having large icons up when all you want to see if the song list.

i also own and ipod and aggree that the ui is different at first but it is very intuative - mind you it only works if you have a clean and well kept song archive. i am extremely pedantic about having everything named and tagged properly (tag 'n' rename is your friend) so i should be able to make use of my sorted archive to it's fullest on xbmc.

i know the devs are working on a bit of a ui overhall and how that is seems that the skin directory structure has been froxen for the time being it might be a good time to look at giving this an overhaul.

looking forward to what comes from it!
i've found that for windows mp3tag from http://mp3tag.de/en/index.html is both great and freeware.
--jaga
an optional xml would be nice, but i think it's enough to save the view for each folder/files automatically.
(onkel bouncy @ april 08 2004,08:15 Wrote:it's enough to save the view for each folder/files automatically.
agree with that so i choose non of the 3 above, however i thought xbmc already does this (ast least for list or icon view)?
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
it looks that bobbin007 has come to the rescue with an implementation for #1:

Quote:added: my music songs, option to auto switch between list and thumb control disabled by
directory should not contain files. if one folder of the directory
has a thumbnail, view is switched to thumbs control else the list
control is used.

i've tested this yesterday and it works great. thanks bobbin007!
--jaga
closing this as it should not have been a poll in the first place
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Smarter Navigation needed in xbmc0