Atv4 jailbreak - any change in dev strategy?
Unfortunately, I'd wager many folks are on higher OS than stock, since a jailbreak came out of nowhere. I scored a NOS ATV4 from Staples the other day when I heard the rumors.

Anyway, will the jailbreak just give us an unsigned path towards installation?
Will it allow us to transfer userdata folders over from other installations?
Will the team purposely support tvos 9.0 and hold back features? Bluetooth keyboard support is pretty crucial for configuration, but that appears to be mostly "free" as it is supported currently.

I know it just came out today, but just pondering...
(2016-03-23, 17:58)plympton Wrote: Unfortunately, I'd wager many folks are on higher OS than stock, since a jailbreak came out of nowhere. I scored a NOS ATV4 from Staples the other day when I heard the rumors.

Anyway, will the jailbreak just give us an unsigned path towards installation?
Will it allow us to transfer userdata folders over from other installations?
Will the team purposely support tvos 9.0 and hold back features? Bluetooth keyboard support is pretty crucial for configuration, but that appears to be mostly "free" as it is supported currently.

I know it just came out today, but just pondering...

I would image that

1. The jailbreak will in fact allow unsigned installation (you appear to get root access)
  2. You can actually transfer the userdata folders from other installations already using Xcode
  3. They'll probably target for current OS versions since by the time Kodi is officially released for tvOS there will most likely be a jailbreak for the newer versions as well
Install Kodi on iOS without a jailbreak: iOS App Signer — donations are gratefully accepted
4. my atv4 is on tvos 9.2 already - so no way to figure out a sane installation procedure without using xcode...
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
Can you point to a link on transferring the userdata folder? I'd love to configure on a PC and transfer the results over to the atv after testing and debugging. Thanks!
I can't seem to remember which thread I posted it in (it's a rather common question) but, you can do it two ways...

Use iExplorer (not free) and browse the app data

or download the application container, modify it, and restore it back to the Apple TV

See: Managing Containers on a Device

The file that Xcode creates is just a OS X bundle that can be opened by Control+Clicking (right click) on the file and selecting "Show Package Contents"

Inside there will be a Cache folder, Kodi stores it's data in that location, inside there somewhere is the userdata folder

Once you modify it, just restore the backup to the Apple TV and with a little luck it should work.
Install Kodi on iOS without a jailbreak: iOS App Signer — donations are gratefully accepted
The fact that Memphiz is on 9.2 makes me feel better with my 9.1 and 9.1.1 apple tv4's

I'm sure you could do warranty swap and get a 9.0/9.0.1 one and lots of on the shelf ones are probably still on this but not sure it's worth the hassle

As long as kodi is remains a side load job that's my
Main concern
My thoughts, the current jailbreak is for 9.0.x, useless in most cases as the important fixes are in 9.1 and 9.2 and just about everyone has updated. The only way to get a unit with 9.0.x on it is to find some place with old stock. Warranty swaps typically rsult in the latest tvOS installed, so no love there.

As for jailbreaking, who cares to chase that dragon. a) you have no clue what the jailbreakers out of china have done. b) you always run several versions behind and c) and most important, oh wait, now you can sideload via Xcode.

For deep internal technical investigations, sure. I have an original 9.0.x still in the box for just this purpose. But for the average user, waste of time as you have to use iOS App Signer and sideload the jailbreak via Xcode anyway.
MrMC Forums : http://forum.mrmc.tv
(2016-03-23, 18:30)DanTheMan827 Wrote: I can't seem to remember which thread I posted it in (it's a rather common question) but, you can do it two ways...

Use iExplorer (not free) and browse the app data

or download the application container, modify it, and restore it back to the Apple TV

See: Managing Containers on a Device

The file that Xcode creates is just a OS X bundle that can be opened by Control+Clicking (right click) on the file and selecting "Show Package Contents"

Inside there will be a Cache folder, Kodi stores it's data in that location, inside there somewhere is the userdata folder

Once you modify it, just restore the backup to the Apple TV and with a little luck it should work.

I just did this on my 9.2 machine to my 9.0 mahine. I downloaded the container, didn't modify it (for now), and replaced the container on the 9.0 machine. All the settings were there from the 9.2 machine.

Easy peasey!

Thanks!
-Dan
PS: using the backup/restore add-on doesn't appear to work, it fails.
Will this be revisited now that Apple is forcing free developer account holders to sideload every 7 days?
any luck with jailbreak ATV4 and kodi installation ?
boring - this is not a jailbreak forum and we made standpoint clear
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Atv4 jailbreak - any change in dev strategy?0