Unable to install a Linux version
Hello,

I am trying to renew an old laptop (Medion akoya E1311) which had XP by replacing XP with a Linux based version to have Kodi installed on it. I have tried with different versions of OPENELEC ([Stable] OpenELEC 6.0.3 (x86_64) , [Beta] OpenELEC 6.95.1 (x86_64) , [Legacy] OpenELEC 5.0.8 (x86_64) and [Legacy] OpenELEC 5.0.8 (i386) ) and I can install it, but when it loads it appears like if it was corrupted, like in the attached image.

I have also tried with kodibuntu-14.0-helix_amd64 and with kodibuntu-14.0rc-helix_i386 and I simply cannot install them. I use unetbootin-windows-613 to create the USB but the BIOS seems not to recognise it.

Can someone help me to find a way to install Kodi in this laptop? Preferably some light Linux version as I only want it as media center.

Thank you in advance.
It's a year old sempron and the gpu never had great linux support, keep windows xp.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
Thank you for your reply. I still would prefer to try a Linux option if possible (actually I was adviced to do so in this forum some time ago). Isn't there any good choice for me to try?
Or any guess on what is happening according to the image?
Lubuntu is pretty light. Runs well on my son's little Dell netbook. BUT, if fritsch thinks you should stick with Windows then probably you should.
Learning Linux the hard way !!
I shortly googled that notebook and I don't think you will have much luck as kodi needs not only X11 support but also OpenGL support. Sorry for that.

You could try an Ubuntu 15.10 live cd?
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
I installed Linux Mint on an old Gateway MA-7 and it won't run Kodi. Black screen with audio when playing file on drive. It's v17.0 alpha though.I must try v16.0. The file plays from file manager but not in kodi. There is open gl
Thank you all for your answers. Before reading them I had tried to install ubuntu-14.04.4-desktop-i386 but it gives some error in the installation (I have to dig it further).

The problem is that when I installed OPENELEC for the first time it removed XP, so I guess I can't go back to it.

I will try Lubuntu, Ubuntu 15.10 live cd and Linux Mint also.
About not having support for Kodi, I can survive if I can use XBMC. Before trying OPENELEC, I was using XBMC (I think Frodo version) in the XP and it was working fine (but the XP itself was already too slow and that's why I decided to change, also I thought that using OPENELEC I could use newer version of Kodi, as suggested in the forum).

Is there any OPENELEC version with XBMC available to download from a reliable source?
http://archive.openelec.tv/

You can get OpenELEC 4 from there. That's XBMC 13 (Gotham). Older than that I do not know.
Learning Linux the hard way !!
I think OE2 should be better - there was the proprietary driver of amd in a working version .... old XVBA times ...
Thank you all for your help. I could not answer earlier but yesterday I managed to install Lubuntu and Kodi and everything seems to work fine (I have to test further though). So unless anyone suggest something that should do better job, I think I'm fine with this.

PS: I'm sorry but I do not know what OE2 is.
OE2 == OpenELEC v2 == furthering your journey back into the ancient history of hardware. On a c. 7-year-old laptop, some packaged drivers are no longer available, so you need software that's more 'of the time' (or an OS on which you can still install the drivers, such as Lubuntu - if they're still available/still supported).
Thank you for the tip. I have not found enough time to test it deeply but it seems current setup is doing good job so far.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Unable to install a Linux version0