Mini PC recommendation
I have been using a media centre PC for 8 years and the time has come to replace it.

The current setup runs Windows 8.1, Media Centre (supporting PVR) and has dual digital free-to-air TV tuners, 5.1 audio with optical output to my amplifier, and HDMI output to the monitor. I have considered upgrading to Windows 10 and reinstalling MCE - but I am also running Kodi now and figured this is a better platform long-term as I should be able to use it as the single interface for all media activity (including web streaming) on the right box.

What I'm looking for is a mini-PC with much the same hardware:
  • enough solid state storage for PVR,
  • dual digital free-to-air TV tuners
  • 5.1 audio
  • hi-res video with HDMI output
  • 4 USB 3 ports for peripherals
  • wifi connectivity

I've been trawling the forums here and haven't really found anything suitable (no doubt have been looking in wrong place but my searches haven't really turned up anything useful). There are a lot of specs for similar machines (like Nvidia_SHIELD_Android_TV) but these generally don't provide for digital free-to-air TV tuners.

From Google searches I've found these options:
but while they seem to have the hardware I'm after I haven't liked the reviews and if there's one thing that's come through clearly from reading posts on these forums, using hardware that is recommended/trusted/"supported" by Kodi users is critical.

As you can see I'm not attached to Windows OS. I do want reliable and am happy to install/configure software but not build hardware.

I recall reading in one post that Kodi doesn't yet support 5.1 audio - is this correct? It works fine on my current system...

Very keen to hear from anyone in Australia using a system similar to what I have described above.
How about an external dual networked tuner from SiliconDust? Then you will have more options.

https://www.silicondust.com/hdhomerun/
Have you looked into the sticky thread from first page called "Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated March 2016)"?
AFTV (non-rooted + Kodi)
WD My Book Live NAS
(2016-03-28, 20:59)shabuboy Wrote: Have you looked into the sticky thread from first page called "Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated March 2016)"?

Sure did, but unless there is a term I am not familiar with I couldn't really see any options with built in TV tuners - it seems getting an external TV tuner is the go but no idea why.

Am I correct in that there are no recommended models with TV tuners included in the sticky thread above and if I am is there a reason why?
At the moment the Wetek Play is the most prominent box with integrated tuners, but it is based on quite an elderly SoC. There are new Wetek models with tuners due. They are worth keeping an eye on as they usually have OpenElec and Android tuner support.

Network tuners or separating front ends and back ends is not a bad idea though. I run my main TV Headend backend on a separate x86 box, with Kodi running on a separate device. (Partially to allow me to play with lots of Kodi devices without disrupting TV recording and serving)
(2016-03-28, 22:09)noggin Wrote: At the moment the Wetek Play is the most prominent box with integrated tuners, but it is based on quite an elderly SoC. There are new Wetek models with tuners due. They are worth keeping an eye on as they usually have OpenElec and Android tuner support.

Network tuners or separating front ends and back ends is not a bad idea though. I run my main TV Headend backend on a separate x86 box, with Kodi running on a separate device. (Partially to allow me to play with lots of Kodi devices without disrupting TV recording and serving)

OK - I'll keep my eye on the Wetek range for one with an integrated tuner.

With your setup do you use the one interface for TV and streaming?
(2016-03-28, 22:36)TonyTeaBag Wrote:
(2016-03-28, 22:09)noggin Wrote: At the moment the Wetek Play is the most prominent box with integrated tuners, but it is based on quite an elderly SoC. There are new Wetek models with tuners due. They are worth keeping an eye on as they usually have OpenElec and Android tuner support.

OK - I'll keep my eye on the Wetek range for one with an integrated tuner.

With your setup do you use the one interface for TV and streaming?

I run a TV Headend server on a dedicated machine, and use the TV Headend (aka hts) PVR backend within Kodi. However I don't watch much streamed content (SVT Play, NRK Nett TV and DR TV mainly) - all my non-TV viewing is from my DVD and Blu-ray rips on my unRAID server. (I've boxed up my original discs and they are now in storage)
Keep an eye on this box with dual tuners.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GjIztYldCWI

http://www.geniatech.com/pa/atv1950.asp
In Sunny Perth.

Running this reliable silent setup:
An US$35 ODROID C1+ running OpenELEC Jarvis + cheap DVB-T PlayTV(PS3) Dual Tuner + Externally powered HDD, Linux formatted . The C1+ also runs an GigaE Ethernet connected TvHeadend Backend Server to stream to all the Kodi clients in the house. You really need to connect the TvHeadend Server via ethernet to a dual band WiFi Router. MIMO even better.

These PlayTV USB Dual Tuners, I've seen for as low as A$10 delivered on Ebay. There are heaps of them avail.
A RPi3 could also be used for this setup, tho it lacks GigaE and its inbuilt WiFi is weak.

Once you have that setup you can really choose any Kodi client that does decent deinterlacing.
I use a WeTek Core primarily for 1080p Netflix, Kodi and TV Viewing. Android Lollipop works well.

Any Kodi device will output 5.1 AC3/DD, some via Optical.

If you want a pretty neat tidy setup I would wait a month and have a look at the AML S905 equipped WeTek Play2 and Play2S.
WeTek support is fantastic Smile

Play2 details HERE

Only thing to be aware of is that the Play-TV tuners (whilst great value if you can get a good deal) are DVB-T only (I can get good single tuner DVB-T tuners for <GBP£10 each) . If you're in many European countries you will need DVB-T2 to receive all channels now, or in the near future. (Many of which need a newer kernel than the C1/C2 have - particularly the current models which are only around GBP£25) And if you are in the US an ATSC tuner is needed instead.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Mini PC recommendation0