Moving Kodi Build from Mac to Windows using Special Protocol
Hi, I am currently using my setup kodi 16.0 on my macbook, but I want to share it with my other computer in the house which is Windows. I have used the backup program in the past however it does not transfer the paths of my files correctly and keeps them as mac directories

I have also looked up path substitution but unsure how do I use it to change everything to special:// .

I have tried searching and the wiki but was wondering do I have to use the special command for each folder, or is there a more efficient way to transfer all of my path's to the special protocol ?

Or is there a one file I can just change everything in ?

Thanks
I honestly dont know if this is possible. And to be honest i dont get the question.
Osx and windows are different platforms, yes i know Smile

I use a mysql for a central database, but i have to setup al my kodi devices seperatly. When setup to my wishes, i can just add the advancedsettings.xml and sources.xml files so they share the same database.

Perhaps you can expain in other words what you are trying to achieve ?
How to post a debug log ; MacOS acces the hidden userdata folder ; How to post a question ; How to fix gatekeeper issues
You can ignore the part about the special protocol. You don't use the special protocol for video files. You just use the old mac paths and path sub them for the windows paths.
(2016-04-04, 16:10)Walt74 Wrote: I honestly dont know if this is possible. And to be honest i dont get the question.
Osx and windows are different platforms, yes i know Smile

I use a mysql for a central database, but i have to setup al my kodi devices seperatly. When setup to my wishes i can just add the advancedsettings ans sources xml files so they share the same database.

Perhaps you can expain in other words what you are trying to achieve ?

Hi, I guess the easiest way to explain is I am trying to move pre-configured add ons between operating systems. I've seen it done on these premade builds but I would like to learn on how to do it.

So backup allows you restore all add ons and shortcuts etc. I have customized my folders and adding specific locations for files

ie. Aeon Nox thumbnail backgrounds are saved to C:\users\R\desktop\kodi\userdata\background

when I restore the backup on the windows machine the path to my aeon not thumbnails remains that same and does not change its path

With the Special protocol it would rename the following

C:\users\RR\desktop\kodi\userdata\background

to

special://userdata/background

From what I understand the Special command allows my folders to move properly no matter what OS I restore my backup on.

Does any of this information help?
Hi, i have a similar problem, i make my own xmltv files and on my computer it grabs them from the C drive and on the Android obviously the path is wrong, is there not a way of setting a special path where they can both grab my data from the same path? Cheers in advance
(2016-12-06, 15:10)kirkydman Wrote: Hi, i have a similar problem, i make my own xmltv files and on my computer it grabs them from the C drive and on the Android obviously the path is wrong, is there not a way of setting a special path where they can both grab my data from the same path? Cheers in advance
Only with a text editor as far as I'm aware.
You can use Notepad++'s ability to search for a text string in files and replace it with another to speed the job up considerably, but it's a pain to do tbh.
(2016-12-06, 15:36)trogggy Wrote:
(2016-12-06, 15:10)kirkydman Wrote: Hi, i have a similar problem, i make my own xmltv files and on my computer it grabs them from the C drive and on the Android obviously the path is wrong, is there not a way of setting a special path where they can both grab my data from the same path? Cheers in advance
Only with a text editor as far as I'm aware.
You can use Notepad++'s ability to search for a text string in files and replace it with another to speed the job up considerably, but it's a pain to do tbh.
No what i mean is just set my path in FTV guide settings to special://userdata (on both PC and box) etc etc so they are both the same on my PC and box so they both point towards the same folder/file?
Just stick the files in a shared folder on your pc and use an smb address in settings - if you use the IP / hostname of the PC that will work on both. You don't want 'special' because the whole point is 'special' will point to a different place in every different kodi.
Edit: and if you want it to work outside your local network you could stick them in eg a public dropbox folder on your pc.
(2016-12-06, 16:03)trogggy Wrote: Just stick the files in a shared folder on your pc and use an smb address in settings - if you use the IP / hostname of the PC that will work on both. You don't want 'special' because the whole point is 'special' will point to a different place in every different kodi.
Edit: and if you want it to work outside your local network you could stick them in eg a public dropbox folder on your pc.
Well what i ended up doing was putting the guide.xml file on my server then adding the url to file manager (kodi) and pointing FTV towards that, i didnt know you could do that, that works perfect, cheers anyway bud
(2016-04-05, 11:47)Ned Scott Wrote: You can ignore the part about the special protocol. You don't use the special protocol for video files. You just use the old mac paths and path sub them for the windows paths.

Am I correct in understanding that the special protocol can only be used to address folders/files which are in a users Kodi folder and that this folder is stored in RAM on an android box?

I have ripped a number of my CDs together with some photos which I store in folders, on my laptop on the C: drive and on my Android box on an SD Card.

When I move my build from my Android box to my laptop the submenu links to my pictures and CDs don't work on my laptop.

I could move my picture and CD folders to my user Kodi folder, except My folders are 10s of GBs in size and my RAM is only 2GBs.

Is there really no way Kodi could allow my build to reference my pictures and CDs when on my Android box and my laptop without doing multiple manual edits?

I use the same file structure for my pictures and CDs on both my Android box and laptop. my ideal would to be to change one entry in Kodi to point to my file structure on my Android box or Laptop Huh

Any response appreciated, as this is a real pain to do.
The special protocol is just a bunch of aliases for certain Kodi configuration files. It has nothing to do with your media files. Ignore the special protocol.

As I keep saying, just use path subs (wiki).
(2016-12-07, 00:48)kirkydman Wrote:
(2016-12-06, 16:03)trogggy Wrote: Just stick the files in a shared folder on your pc and use an smb address in settings - if you use the IP / hostname of the PC that will work on both. You don't want 'special' because the whole point is 'special' will point to a different place in every different kodi.
Well what i ended up doing was putting the guide.xml file on my server then adding the url to file manager (kodi) and pointing FTV towards that, i didnt know you could do that, that works perfect, cheers anyway bud
That's exactly the same thing I suggested - ie using a network address. Doesn't matter where they are on the network on the pc, nas, wherever.
(2016-12-08, 01:47)Ned Scott Wrote: The special protocol is just a bunch of aliases for certain Kodi configuration files. It has nothing to do with your media files. Ignore the special protocol.

Thanks for responding again and including the path subs link, I did not pick up on your first suggestion as I did not know what path subs were.

Having quick scanned the link I am looking forward to trying this out, save me having to remap all my media folders every time I transfer my build across my boxes.
(2016-12-08, 09:05)Jeffers24 Wrote:
(2016-12-08, 01:47)Ned Scott Wrote: The special protocol is just a bunch of aliases for certain Kodi configuration files. It has nothing to do with your media files. Ignore the special protocol.

Thanks for responding again and including the path subs link, I did not pick up on your first suggestion as I did not know what path subs were.

Having quick scanned the link I am looking forward to trying this out, save me having to remap all my media folders every time I transfer my build across my boxes.

I have copied my build from my Android box to my laptop and added the entries below in my advancesettings file.

What am I doing wrong??

Only the first substitution is working in my advancesaettins entry, if I delete the first entry so the second entry becomes the first, then that entry works only that one works:-

<pathsubstitution>
  <substitute>
    <from>/storage/sdcard1/.Kodi SDCard/Pictures/Oldies/</from>
    <to>C:\My Folders\Kodi\.Kodi SDCard\Pictures\Oldies</to>
<from>/storage/sdcard1/.Kodi SDCard/Pictures/201204 Apartment Oasis de la Cala/</from>
    <to>C:\My Folders\Kodi\.Kodi SDCard\Pictures\201204 Apartment Oasis de la Cala</to>
<from>/storage/sdcard1/.Kodi SDCard/Pictures/201307 Spain with Kids/</from>
<to>C:\My Folders\Kodi\.Kodi SDCard\Pictures\201307 Spain with Kids</to>
<from>/storage/sdcard1/.Kodi SDCard/Pictures/201605 Caminito/</from>
    <to>C:\My Folders\Kodi\.Kodi SDCard\Pictures\201605 Caminito</to>
<from>/storage/sdcard1/.Kodi SDCard/Pictures/201511 Karen/</from>
    <to>C:\My Folders\Kodi\.Kodi SDCard\Pictures\201511 Karen</to>
<from>/storage/sdcard1/.Kodi SDCard/Pictures/200311 Ken's 60th and Retirement Do/</from>
    <to>C:\My Folders\Kodi\.Kodi SDCard\Pictures\200311 Ken's 60th and Retirement Do</to>
<from>/storage/sdcard1/.Kodi SDCard/Pictures/200811 Ken's 65th Birthday/</from>
    <to>C:\My Folders\Kodi\.Kodi SDCard\Pictures\200811 Ken's 65th Birthday</to>
<from>/storage/sdcard1/.Kodi SDCard/Pictures/Yvette and Ken Miscellaneous/</from>
    <to>C:\My Folders\Kodi\.Kodi SDCard\Pictures\Yvette and Ken Miscellaneous</to>
<from>/storage/sdcard1/.Kodi SDCard/CDs/</from>
    <to>C:\My Folders\Kodi\.Kodi SDCard\CDs</to>
<from>/storage/sdcard1/.Kodi SDCard/MP3 DLs/</from>
    <to>C:\My Folders\Kodi\.Kodi SDCard\MP3 DLs</to>
<from>/storage/sdcard1/.Kodi SDCard/Video Singles/</from>
    <to>C:\My Folders\Kodi\.Kodi SDCard\Video Singles</to>
<from>/storage/sdcard1/.Kodi SDCard/Video Concerts/</from>
    <to>C:\My Folders\Kodi\.Kodi SDCard\Video Concerts</to>
<from>/storage/sdcard1/.Kodi SDCard/TV Shows/</from>
    <to>C:\My Folders\Kodi\.Kodi SDCard\TV Shows</to>
  </substitute>
  </pathsubstitution>
(2016-12-08, 20:29)Jeffers24 Wrote: What am I doing wrong??

Only the first substitution is working in my advancesaettins entry, if I delete the first entry so the second entry becomes the first, then that entry works only that one works:-

<pathsubstitution>
  <substitute>
    <from>/storage/sdcard1/.Kodi SDCard/Pictures/Oldies/</from>
    <to>C:\My Folders\Kodi\.Kodi SDCard\Pictures\Oldies</to>
<from>/storage/sdcard1/.Kodi SDCard/Pictures/201204 Apartment Oasis de la Cala/</from>
    <to>C:\My Folders\Kodi\.Kodi SDCard\Pictures\201204 Apartment Oasis de la Cala</to>
<from>/storage/sdcard1/.Kodi SDCard/Pictures/201307 Spain with Kids/</from>
<to>C:\My Folders\Kodi\.Kodi SDCard\Pictures\201307 Spain with Kids</to>
<from>/storage/sdcard1/.Kodi SDCard/Pictures/201605 Caminito/</from>
    <to>C:\My Folders\Kodi\.Kodi SDCard\Pictures\201605 Caminito</to>
<from>/storage/sdcard1/.Kodi SDCard/Pictures/201511 Karen/</from>
    <to>C:\My Folders\Kodi\.Kodi SDCard\Pictures\201511 Karen</to>
<from>/storage/sdcard1/.Kodi SDCard/Pictures/200311 Ken's 60th and Retirement Do/</from>
    <to>C:\My Folders\Kodi\.Kodi SDCard\Pictures\200311 Ken's 60th and Retirement Do</to>
<from>/storage/sdcard1/.Kodi SDCard/Pictures/200811 Ken's 65th Birthday/</from>
    <to>C:\My Folders\Kodi\.Kodi SDCard\Pictures\200811 Ken's 65th Birthday</to>
<from>/storage/sdcard1/.Kodi SDCard/Pictures/Yvette and Ken Miscellaneous/</from>
    <to>C:\My Folders\Kodi\.Kodi SDCard\Pictures\Yvette and Ken Miscellaneous</to>
<from>/storage/sdcard1/.Kodi SDCard/CDs/</from>
    <to>C:\My Folders\Kodi\.Kodi SDCard\CDs</to>
<from>/storage/sdcard1/.Kodi SDCard/MP3 DLs/</from>
    <to>C:\My Folders\Kodi\.Kodi SDCard\MP3 DLs</to>
<from>/storage/sdcard1/.Kodi SDCard/Video Singles/</from>
    <to>C:\My Folders\Kodi\.Kodi SDCard\Video Singles</to>
<from>/storage/sdcard1/.Kodi SDCard/Video Concerts/</from>
    <to>C:\My Folders\Kodi\.Kodi SDCard\Video Concerts</to>
<from>/storage/sdcard1/.Kodi SDCard/TV Shows/</from>
    <to>C:\My Folders\Kodi\.Kodi SDCard\TV Shows</to>
  </substitute>
  </pathsubstitution>
Not sure without a debug log but you're doing way too much there - no need to pathsub each folder, just the root folders. So it looks as though all you really need is:
Quote:<pathsubstitution>
<substitute>
<from>/storage/sdcard1/</from>
<to>C:\My Folders\Kodi\</to>
</substitute>
</pathsubstitution>

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Moving Kodi Build from Mac to Windows using Special Protocol0