Jarvis on Ubuntu 15.10
I'm trying to configure KODI Jarvis 16.0 on an Ubuntu 15.10 Desktop machine. While I can run the apt-get commands to install it, trying to follow the instructions to set it up so it auto-launches (http://kodi.wiki/view/HOW-TO:Autostart_XBMC_for_Linux) isn't so easy. That document appears to be out of date for this version. Files that it's referring to that need editing simply don't exist. Does anyone have an updated step-by-step instructions on how to get it working properly on Ubuntu 15.10 Desktop?
IIRC Ubuntu 15.04 introduces 'systemd'.

For a step by step guide this might be helpful:

http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=231955
look for

Quote:We need a simple systemd service....

and read the code block below

But I'm absolutely not sure
That's interesting. It certainly is a more in-depth, multi-step process than what I ended up doing. LightDM, which Ubuntu 15.10 uses, can be configured to automatically log the user in on the desktop environment. What I did was when the machine was first configured, I logged in and picked the KODI desktop instead of the default Ubuntu one. Then, configured the automatic log in. Once the machine was restarted, it logged in and launched KODI. However, that doesn't necessarily mean it's the correct way of doing it. There are certainly more things in that post that I have not done, particularly the whole video section and configuring that. But I do like the other (posted) approach because it installs a bare bones server setup, as opposed to a full fledged user desktop with all the bells and whistles that comes with. So I may redo the machine and go the other way, keep things lean and clean that way. For the moment though, it is working. I also installed the plex media server which is running fine. Something happened with my Kodibuntu (14.x?) install with plex that both of them was failing, stuttering and often lock up the machine. But I haven't seen that in my testing last night. More testing to come though.

Thanks for the link to the other document!
If you run a full blown Ubuntu, the lightdm way is the suggested one! Well done.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
Right, but I don't necessarily want to do that. All that machine is going to be doing is run KODI and Plex. Having a full setup is wasteful. Smile

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Jarvis on Ubuntu 15.100