Kodi config server
Hello,

This is my first post, but I wanted to find out if something has ever been considered. Kodi is a great app, but difficult to use across multiple tvs in a home when trying to keep a consistent configuration. Sure, I could use one device as a master, and enable PNP, but that means that device always has to be on, which is one more thing drawing power that needs to be kept on.

How about a config server?

I have a ReadyNas box, so I'd love one to be developed for that, but others have the Synology or Qnap, or maybe even WMC running all the time.

It seems like a simple idea, so here goes.

The config server would house all Kodi settings. A very light app that works on replication. Not an active connection.

Once everything is configured, when you launch Kodi on a device it should check the server for changes. If a change is found, it should either ask you if you want to pull down the changes, or maybe have a setting that forces it without prompting. The option should be configurable by the admin.

A single admin/superuser account should be able to modify Kodi on any connected device, and with the proper credentials change/upload the Kodi config on the server. Either by manually executing, or a prompt on exit.

The server should have an option to keep config backups. So every time you change the config, the save process should first create a copy of the old config. The admin should be able to set how many config copies they want to keep.

It would make life SO MUCH easier for people that have multiple instances of Kodi.

Yes, I do know it's possible to save/restore a Kodi config manually, but that's just unnecessary. What I'm talking about is not terribly sophisticated, and under the covers amounts to file uploads and downloads. But it would save so much aggravation. Thanks for your time!
Starts getting complicated when you take settings for Kodi, settings for skins, and settings for add-ons into consideration - these are all stored in different files/locations.

What if you install a new add-on, should that be automatically installed on your other devices?

Although the solution seems pretty simple... rsync the various files and directories to a common location at shutdown, use tar to create backups, then rsync to local at startup - this all happens outside of Kodi. Although it will probably fall apart if your clients have different architectures.

The real question is why you are changing settings so often that this becomes an issue... I configure my clients and then once I'm happy, I rarely change settings again.

If however by settings you mean libraries, try MySQL (wiki).
Texture Cache Maintenance Utility: Preload your texture cache for optimal UI performance. Remotely manage media libraries. Purge unused artwork to free up space. Find missing media. Configurable QA check to highlight metadata issues. Aid in diagnosis of library and cache related problems.
(2016-04-09, 07:16)Milhouse Wrote: Starts getting complicated when you take settings for Kodi, settings for skins, and settings for add-ons into consideration - these are all stored in different files/locations.

What if you install a new add-on, should that be automatically installed on your other devices?

Although the solution seems pretty simple... rsync the various files and directories to a common location at shutdown, use tar to create backups, then rsync to local at startup - this all happens outside of Kodi. Although it will probably fall apart if your clients have different architectures.

The real question is why you are changing settings so often that this becomes an issue... I configure my clients and then once I'm happy, I rarely change settings again.

If however by settings you mean libraries, try MySQL (wiki).

Hi Milhouse,

Thanks for the consideration. Actually I was more so thinking of having devices in different rooms. I have 4 Kodi capable devices running right now. 1 PC, 1 Fire stick, 1 Fire Box, 1 MX-3 Android box. Two of them will rarely get used. The other two are used every day. My thought was it would be great if any tweaks or changes made to one could replicate to all. So after about a month I may make two or three changes on the one most used. By the time I use the other devices I will probably forget what I did.

You have to realize, half the fun of using Kodi is having the ability to screw around with it, lol. It's the most amazing piece of entertainment software I've ever seen. One would have to take at least a month long class to truly understand all the ins and outs of the possible changes you can make to the core product, much less the add-ons. So having the ability to easily restore from backup would encourage more exploration of the possibilities, and probably end up helping to grow the product. Maybe worthwhile?
couldn't you just back up kodi and export the file ?
Box: Matircom G Box AMLS812
Kodi: SPMC
Skin APPTV
Connection ADSL(11MPS) , Ethernet
Game Systems : Wii, PS3
Cable Provider: WOW! (Wide Open West)
Media servers (windows 10 PC) Mediaportal, Playon, Kodi

(2016-04-11, 03:18)tornicade Wrote: couldn't you just back up kodi and export the file ?

Sure. But why have the manual step if coding an automatic solution is possible?
Maybe consider of a "Control Web GUI", where you have the same settings which are in the Kodi GUI. Don't know, if this is possible via JSON, but I think, it is worth thinking about.
Philips TV with Kodi 20.2 with IPTV --- Orbsmart 500 Android 21 alpha/beta as Online-radio/TV in the kitchen

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi config server0