New nas
Looking some advice before purchasing a new nas, as kodi has eat up my current 2 bay storage solution.

Thinking of 5 bay synology 1515 (£510)or 1515+ (£550), or qnap ts-531p (£430). All these can have expansion units attached if needed.

Any thoughts or experience with these models, would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Sony KDL-46HX853 and Sony STR-DN1050
MONITOR AUDIO BRONZE BX5 5.0 speaker package
SVS SB2000 Subwoofer
Nvidia shield TV running SPMC
Pi3 running LibreELEC
harmony touch remote control
26GB unRAID server
I've got both qnap and synology. I've found the qnap far superior is just about every way,

Their interface is really nice and the apps work great.

Personally I would go with the 2.5" versions and put SSDs in there though. I put 1tb SSD's in mine but want to go 2tb soon.
(2016-04-13, 16:36)zag Wrote: I've got both qnap and synology. I've found the qnap far superior is just about every way,

Their interface is really nice and the apps work great.

Personally I would go with the 2.5" versions and put SSDs in there though. I put 1tb SSD's in mine but want to go 2tb soon.

my experience is the opposite - I have a synology DS415+, and my friend a comparable qnap model. The synology is much faster both in I/O and UI responsiveness, and IMO the GUI is better organized.
Tried something else the ASUSTor so far it seems stable has support for entware etc.
Thanks guys lol now I'm as undecided as ever.
I'll be looking to put in 5tb or 6tb drives, so I think that rules out SSDs.
SVS SB2000 Subwoofer
Pi3 running LibreELEC
26GB unRAID server
I agree with zag by the way. I have both qnap and synology

Sent from my XT1254
first_time_user (wiki) | free content (wiki) | forum rules (wiki) | PVR (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)

IMPORTANT:
The official Kodi version does not contain any content what so ever. This means that you should provide your own content from a local or remote storage location, DVD, Blu-Ray or any other media carrier that you own. Additionally Kodi allows you to install third-party plugins that may provide access to content that is freely available on the official content provider website. The watching or listening of illegal or pirated content which would otherwise need to be paid for is not endorsed or approved by Team Kodi.
In case you are looking for some feedback outside Kodi, try here:
http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/nas

Big Grin
AFTV (non-rooted + Kodi)
WD My Book Live NAS
I'd base it off the processor, not really QNAP vs Synology. So in your case, I'd go with the Synology 1515+.
You haven't mentioned what amount of storage you require other than to say you'd like 5 bays Confused

But if you don't need much space, the QNAP TBS-453A is an Intel N3150 Celeron quad core machine featuring up to 16GB of DDR3L RAM, 4x M.2 6GB SATA SSD slots with RAID 0 1 or 5 support, a 5x Gb etehrnet hub, IR remote and dual 4K HDMI outputs all in a rather small 25x230x165mm box that can sit nicely under your TV Big Grin

I know for many it's not the prefered option to have an all in one KODI/NAS box but with TB sized M.2 SSD's you'd have around 4TB of redundant storage available (which is not shabby) Smile
And who knows how big these M.2 SATA SSD's will become in the next few years though 4TB M.2 SSD's aren't out of the question Big Grin
Only unknown for me is if the box supports both SATA and PCIe based M.2 sticks since the PCIe M.2 (NVMe?) standard may take over from the older? SATA M.2 based sticks Confused

If this box provides raid level migration/expansion, it may allow a reletively simple size increase by replacing the M.2 sticks one at a time Tongue
But if not, you can always hook the bigger QNAP USB3 NAS boxes with their spinning rust if needed Nod

Not meaning to hijack the thread but curious what others think about such small combined KODI/SSD NAS box as compared to older styled HDD based NAS boxes Smile

[edited below]

Sorry i saw that you are looking at 5TB or 6TB drives in a new NAS (giving maybe 30TB) so the M.2 SSD box (even at 16TB with non existant 4TB M.2 sticks) is useless to you Blush Rofl
I'm a XBMC novice :)
(2016-04-14, 08:37)skylarking Wrote: Not meaning to hijack the thread but curious what others think about such small combined KODI/SSD NAS box as compared to older styled HDD based NAS boxes Smile

I have both 2tb HDD x 4 qNap and a 1tb x 4 SSD NAS so can probably answer this.

The difference is incredible when you go fully SSD for storage!!

- The speed at which things are done (unpacking rars is about 400% faster)
- The stability (never had an ssd fail, but had many hdd fail over the years)
- The silence (I cant hear my NAS any more, its dead silent
- The size of the nas is about 300% smaller with the 2.5 inch x 4 bay smaller device
- Most importantly for me the power consumption which is about 3 x less than my older nas devices. I worked out it saves me about £30 a year in electricity

Since 1tb SSDs are really cheap these days its suddenly become cost effective to do, i'm just waiting for the 2tb Samsung SSDs to come withing price range. They are still £500 each!! ouch!
(2016-04-14, 00:57)timstephens24 Wrote: I'd base it off the processor, not really QNAP vs Synology. So in your case, I'd go with the Synology 1515+.

Processor speed is utterly irrelevant with a NAS, I still run the 419p+ which has a 6 year old cpu inside and it is no different to the latest NAS's really.
Yes the SSD nas sounds great, but only for a small storage solution.

SSDs are still too expensive for a storage solution, IMHO.

I suppose my ultimate question is:
is it worth paying £100 more for the synology over the qnapHuh
SVS SB2000 Subwoofer
Pi3 running LibreELEC
26GB unRAID server
(2016-04-14, 10:32)zag Wrote:
(2016-04-14, 00:57)timstephens24 Wrote: I'd base it off the processor, not really QNAP vs Synology. So in your case, I'd go with the Synology 1515+.

Processor speed is utterly irrelevant with a NAS, I still run the 419p+ which has a 6 year old cpu inside and it is no different to the latest NAS's really.

I tend to disagree, but I see a NAS more as a home server now than just a storage device. On my NAS I like running other programs than just serving up files, but yes, if you're just serving up files, processor speed is irrelevant.
Make a server. It's cheaper and more control.
(2016-04-15, 14:49)KraziJoe Wrote: Make a server. It's cheaper and more control.

You mean build a computer that can hold 5 or 6 hard drives.

How much do you think that would cost.
SVS SB2000 Subwoofer
Pi3 running LibreELEC
26GB unRAID server

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
New nas1